Got my bike today! Have some questions on riding . . . - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Got my bike today! Have some questions on riding . . .

I got my new Honda F4i today and took it easy around my neighborhood to get used to it as it was the first time I've ever been on a sportsbike. The ride went very well and I put about 10 miles on it. The first thing I noticed is that I was putting my weight on my arms over and over again. I'd ease it off as I noticed it and then go right back to doing it again. I know this will take some time, conditioning and practice.

Now the one thing that happened that kind of got my attention very fast was my legs felt like they were cramping and locking at the upper thigh and hip. I pulled over and put my legs down to let them relax, but this was no big deal as I was riding in my community. Now what concerned me is if this happens on the road and my legs actually do lock up. That's kind of scary. I know I'm stretching them in ways that they are not used to stretching. Is this pretty normal for a beginner rider and how long does it take to get past it. It seems like it could be dangerous.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 06:43 PM

In my experience, it's no big deal. Although, my legs have never actually locked up, so to speak.
When I get a cramp, I just go with it. Race car drivers run full races with leg cramps, so because my legs have never locked, I just deal with it.

Some things you could do to stop the cramp from ever forming in the first place would be things like stretching before riding, or maybe even beginning a workout regimen of some type.

Also, Potassium (found in bananas) helps to prevent cramping. So, either a well balanced diet, including fruit, vegetables, and other wacky vegan stuff (or, as in my case, just a multivitamin) would also be helpful.

Best of luck!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 07:14 PM

mmmmhhhhhh........

...with time young Padiwan, all cramps shall pass...as with most things in life, the better condition your body is in....the easier it is to do the things you want.....try adding some different types of squats to your daily workouts.....

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 12:17 AM

Get to work at the gym with leg presses & other leg equipment. Also work on your arms,shoulders & back.

I have been riding in this lean forward position for something like 40 or 45 yrs. Never had my legs develop cramps though I often ride 5 to 7 hrs each time I go out & that is around 3 to 4 days a week.

When I am fueling up that is when I do some stetching & around 1/2 way through my run I will pull into a place for a cuppa & so rest a bit & stretch as well.

Now if I can do it, being a man that will be 75yrs of age in mid-July then I am sure you can do it as well.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Smitty,

I've read so many of your posts on this board and all I can say is you are my hero. My hat is off you.

I'm pretty strong in the upper body, but I've never worked out my legs so I know I'm going to have to work them. I think it is more a flexibility issue like going horse riding every 3 years. You get sore in the hips. I'll do some stretches and start including my legs some in my workout routine.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 11:14 AM

If you want to get serious into sportbikes, you have to be in good physical shape. And leg muscles are the most important, as those end up handling most of the load. Worry not, the leg cramps will pass. The first time I set on a sportbike, I had a cramp in like 30 sec.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 02:51 PM

from a medical perspective, cramping is also a sign of dehydration. Overexertion and muscle fatigue can contribute to cramping along with excess sweating because they deplete the level of minerals that are needed for good muscle function (ie: sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus). Drink some water and see if that helps
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 02:52 PM

Or you could buy a cruiser
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 05:13 PM

Also you will have some weight on your arms, wrists & hands till you learn to use the muscles in your legs, abs & back to take away the weight to the front.

Mind you once you are out of the city/town streets & on the hwys you will find even at the low of 60mph you will have wind coming over the fairing to hit the upper part of your chest & head------then you will be hanging onto the clip-ons & even more so once you trot to faster paces.

Now you see one of the reasons we do not advise the sportbike as a good bike to ride around town plus the fact that its peaky engine is a bummer when it comes to torque or pull at, lower revs, so stalling can happen so the high positon of the rear sets makes it a bit slower to get your feet down to the ground (far easier on a regular riding position bike) while the short stubby clip-ons do not give one much to lever with to keep the bike from sampling the pavement.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Just got back from my second ride. Much, much better. I hit the highway and got a little more speed to get used to the highway again.

The suggestion of dehydration is probably a good suggestion. I very rarelly drink just water. My wife stays on my case about it also. Need to start drinking more now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode