Drive Chain - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Drive Chain

I'm thinking about changing out my rear sprocket and going up either 2 or 4 teeth. My stock chain is a 530 on a 600cc Yamaha.
I can get a 50T vortex rear, 15t vortex front, and a Premium Chain RK520XSO for $140 Shipped, which I believe is a pretty good price for the 3 pieces.
but how much of a differance is there between the 520 and 530 for a 600cc?? My understanding is the 530 is a stronger chain but somewhat overkill for a 600cc.
Should I go with the 520 conversion or look for a 48-50t rear 530 sprocket for my bike??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 10:20 AM

I'm guessing you are doing all this for wheelies?
Those are especially hard on your chain (and clutch) I'd stay with a stronger chain. Cheaper in the long run.
The benefits of a lighter chain arent going to be felt on the street.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
I'm guessing you are doing all this for wheelies?
No .... not wheellies. I want to go up in the rear to increase my top gear roll on power. Basically I'm going to suck all the power I can outta my bike it's cheaper then gettin a new one.
The 520 chain kit is only $140 for everything needed so I was thinkin it could be worth it for new sprockets & chain. Especially since a new rear alone is around $60-70.
I currently have 20k miles on the stock chain.

Last edited by Greatzippy; 05-10-2005 at 10:46 AM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 10:50 AM

20k on a stock chain? Mine was close to catastrophic failure at 16k.
If you want to increase roll on power, I would recommend a less drastic gearing change. Such as a -1 front OR +2 rear.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 11:18 AM

What would you be gaining by switching to a 520? the 520 is a dirt bike chain. I know some people switch but really, what is the point. It's not as strong and when im cookin down the road, I need 100% confidence in my chain. the choice is yours but the factory uses the 530 for a reason. they do this even while trying to make the bikes as light and fast as possible.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
If you want to increase roll on power, I would recommend a less drastic gearing change. Such as a -1 front OR +2 rear.
My stock chain looks pretty good as far as I can tell. Hell, I got 16k outta my stock tires before gettin new one.
I'm goin up in the rear cause I already went down in the front -1 a few (6 or so) months ago.
I'm thinkin I want to stay with the 530 for strengh .... just that price for the whole 520 kit is so cheap. That and nobody has a 50t 530 rear listed on thier web site for my bike.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 11:36 AM

Quote:

I have 13K on my chain right now, and no signs of wear. hmm.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 01:18 PM

The previous owner of my bike did a -1 +2 sprocket change and 520 DID chain conversion. I obviously hadn't ridden it before the conversion, but let me tell ya.. the acceleration/roll on power is great. I don't have a problem taking off on the highway with newer gixxers etc.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 01:28 PM

Guys, physics dont really lie. You wont accelerate faster with a sprocket change. you will just have the engine spinning at revs where it can put more power out. Which is really the same as shifting down a gear.
If you are doing it for wheelies thats a different story.. couse then you are looking to get a lower gear than first.

Yes I know pro dragsters change their sprockets. They are tuning to be going at near red line at finish.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 01:44 PM

the 520 conversion will be more than strong enough. The tensile strength is pretty much the same. The tensile strength of the two chains should be only with in a few hundred pounds of each other. If you can get the 520 for a good price then go with it. I know plenty of people with worked gsxr 750's with the 520 conversion. As for seeing a difference due to the weight of the chain, I don't think you will notice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode