Noob looking for input.. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Noob looking for input..

Alright guys, I'll be purchasing a bike in about 4-6 weeks & was just looking to get some feedback from either the Suzuki or Honda guys...

I went and sat on about 20 different bikes the other day and I felt most comfortable on a Gixxer600/750, followed by the Honda 600RR. I felt even more comfortable on the 1K's but those are out of the question for a first bike.

I'm definitely going to be buying used, but I wanted to get a feel for comfort level and riding position on the bikes. Are there any pros and cons to either the Gixxers or the 600RRs, or even an F4i? What do you believe is the best all around bike for the $$? The bike is basically being used to commute to/from work, with the occasional joy-ride around town. Any input, advise, suggestions, etc. is appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 12:22 PM

You'll get allot of replies with all answers all over the board, but here's my pick for what you describe your usage.

First, good thing not thinking about a liter bike right now. Most 600's these days are only 0.2's slower than many liter bikes in the quarter mile, so there isn't enough difference in everyday riding to even consider that argument.

600's are great around town bikes because they are lighter (feel lighter too) and therefore I think easier, and less work to ride.

My pick is the F4i. Honda intended it as a bike to ride everyday. It is not quite a "committed" as the R6, GSX-R, and such. You may also look at the Kawi's. They are some very underrated 600's that are great street bikes.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 12:47 PM

Have you looked at the SV650s? it's considered a naked bike... but for $400 you can buy a lower fairing... and looks sweet IMHO.... the Sv is a V twin... it's going to have more torque sooner in the powerband where it's needed for in town rides... it's also going to be much more forgiving of your mistakes... it's also has a HUGE following so aftermarket parts are very abundant... here's a pic of one that's got the lower fairing...

no matter what you choose... good luck out there and ride safe!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sv650-1a.jpg (294.9 KB, 108 views)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 03:31 PM

A litre bike is not a good idea for a first bike, and if the 600's are only a few ticks slower, what makes them acceptable first bikes?

350lbs and 110+ hp is not a starter bike.

The SV would be much better suited for you, and that's about as fast a bike you want to start on. CBR's Gixxers, R6's, are very sensitive machines....you're going to make mistakes when learning, and these bikes will respond to those mistakes harshly.

Start off on a less powerful bike, the supersports will always be for sale, and you want to make sure you're still around to buy your second bike.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 03:47 PM

I completely agree with what's being said above, and I have 02 SV650 myself, stronger pull throughout low and mid-range than most 600s (my first bike was FZR600). Just not enough power on top to get a new rider in trouble, it redlines at 10500 rpm. If you take MSF first and then ride the SV, it will tolerate most, if not all newbie mistakes, very forgiving. Just watch the braking, still sensitive and lot of power.

600s and 1000s are very close in lap times in track. But in 1/4 mile, liter bikes are more than 1 sec faster. So something to think about how dangerous liter bikes are in stock form. 600s are still untamed in terms of braking, power on top, and exuding false confidence. Older 600s are better choice.

Last edited by Z_Fanatic; 05-08-2005 at 03:50 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the wide range of input, guys. I'll look into the SV's, as well as spend a little more time looking at some F4i's. Unfortunately none of the dealers I went to the other day had any in stock, so I wasn't able to get a feel for one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode