Corner diving - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Corner diving

I have noticed that my bike seems to dive into corners (especially at slow speeds) more than I want it to. I have stiffened(sp?) the front end, but it still does it. I have to almost push in the opposite direction(is that counter steering?). Is this a normal thing, or do I need to do something different? Would hardening the compression take care of this? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 10:08 AM

are your fork seals blown?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

No.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 10:24 AM

diving into corners is what your bike is made for. The designers went thru considerable effort to make it act like that.
The easiest way to ruin that is to put different tires on. put as wide a rear tire as you can fit, preferable in a touring profile.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

I understand that it is suppose to want to corner, but it seems like it dives too much. Is that what they mean by counter steering(pushing against the dive)?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 10:55 AM

No.
Counter steering is pushing the bike into the dive. Pressing forward on the inside bar if you will.

What you are expiriencing is an aggressive tire profile. There is more rubber contacting the road on the sides than there is in the middle.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 10:58 AM

Too many straightaways and not enough corners. Chances are you have a flat spot on your tire. the "diving" you are feeling is most likely the point at which the bike has gone over the edge of the flat spot and started responding as it normally should. Do you find yourself fighting harder than normal for the first few degrees before the bike finally pitches into the corner too fast?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Yes it does, and since I live in Ks, I do go straight alot more than not.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 01:04 PM

If you press to lean to the turn, does the bike try to keep falling in further if you don't continue to press on the bars, or does in remain at the angle you set? If it continues to fall in, then you've got *something* set out of whack with your suspension. Once you have set your lean/path for the turn, the bike should maintain that angle until it is given different input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode