I'm about to start riding the first time and have a few ??? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

I'm about to start riding the first time and have a few ???

Alright i'm about to be 18 years old and i'm looking to get me a sportbike,probably a brand new honda cbr600 or kawasaki ninja 6r.I've never rode before and i'm wondering if you think i'll turn it over,since its my first time everyone says you'll probably turn it on its side.I want be trying anything crazy for along time and will not get on the street for a few weeks untill i get used to it on my road i live on,but i believe if i'm careful and don't do anything stupid i should be ok.Also how much power do 600's have and do they ride a wheelie easy,but i won't even attempt a wheelie for months.The reason i'm going with a 600 is,because this is the bike i really want and don't want to waste money on anything else,when all bikes are the same when doing the speed limit.Any help is aprecciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 01:04 PM

Go take the MSF course, you will be happy you did!
http://www.msf-usa.org/

Yes, you will lay it down, drop it, crash, or something else. I bet 95% of riders will say they have at one time or another done so.

Buy used. Don't buy your dream bike for your first bike, the likelihood of messing it up is far too high. If you get a used 'beginner' bike this year, learn on it for a year, you will likely be able(unless you total it) to sell it next year for most of what you paid this year. What you sell it for can be your down payment on the bike you upgrade to after you have some experience riding and confidence in your skills.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 02:04 PM

Agree with above & also aim at a darn good beginners bike. No not a 125 or 250, but a 500cc vertical twin like what Suzuki & Kawasaki offer.

These offer a decent mid-range power which is a MUST to a beginner, along with sensible regular riding position that has been used since before the 20s & still being used to-day on so many makes.

These bikes are forgiving when it comes to handeling yet can take off faster then cages at the green light & scoot you up to 100mph. Keep your 500 in good shape & when ready to upgrade, a season from now, you will have LOTS of people wanting to buy said bike.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 02:23 PM

Be careful with what you say. You may say, "I won't do anything crazy for a long time and won't attempt wheelies for a few months." Well.. once you feel incredible power under your right wrist.. that all will change extremely fast.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

I am wondering how yall think i'll lay it down or crash or something?Because i'm never gonna be racing or doing stupid stuff,i'm getting this bike for mainly just to cruise around in and maybe show it off.lol.On the wheelies i'm not gonna try anything like that for a long time or maybe never.Because i really want to get a 600 and i don't want to,if i'll mess it up.Which i really don't see how i can do it.Heres another question do you think i would ever lay it over or anything,as long as i rode smart and safe and obeyed all the speed limits,just like cruising around on it?Thanks for the help so far to.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 04:39 PM

You don't have to be doing anything risky or stupid to drop a bike.

Sportbikes have a weird sort of handling that takes a little getting used to.

Not everybody who has dropped a bike was doing wheelies or riding at 80 miles an hour through a residential district.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Yeah,well i guess i'm gonna have to get used to it and accept the fact that i'll probably drop it a few times,but i'll try my best not to.I believe i'm gonna get me a new 600,but now which one.Its either gonna be a ninja 6r or a cbr600f4i.So which one is the better bike all around?
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by clover
Yeah,well i guess i'm gonna have to get used to it and accept the fact that i'll probably drop it a few times,but i'll try my best not to.I believe i'm gonna get me a new 600,but now which one.Its either gonna be a ninja 6r or a cbr600f4i.So which one is the better bike all around?
For you, the answer is "neither." I know it's not what you're looking for, but a 350lb bike with 100+hp that was designed for the race track is NOT a good first bike. A modern 600 is by no means a "starter bike." 0-60 times on these aren't much slower than the litre bikes.

It has nothing to do with how careful you are. The only way you're going to learn how to ride, is by making mistakes in the process. The new 600 sport bikes are VERY sensitive to these mistakes. Powerful/grabby brakes, throttle, ect. Bike will throw you on your ass quickly when you make mistakes, compared to a more forgiving 250/500 bike that won't respond as harshly.

Learn on a smaller bike, Ninja 250/500, or even check out the new Suzuki GS500...it's a good looking sport bike, with plenty of power. Get at least a good year or so under your belt before going up to the 600, and you'll have the experience to handle it. You'll build the needed confidence quicker on a smaller bike, because they're easier to ride. When it comes to something like motorcycles, which comes with risk/danger, you want to learn the RIGHT way...not on a bike that's going to scare and intimidate you when you're riding.

A lot of new riders will buy a super high-performance bike thinking "I'll just take it easy," and end up selling it or crashing because they had no idea what they were getting into...and make sure you take the MSF course!
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 05:47 PM

Clover you do realize that in laying it over at nil speeds is a bit costly, but laying it over due to a cage driver that possibly frightened you, or a bit of sand & at the max speed in your town can be quite costly. The darn plastic & frames holding it are like their weight in gold.

Drop the bike at 40-50mph & you are looking at between 25 & 50% of the cost of a new bike in the parts ONLY.

Hey I am a safe rider & have been at it for 58 yrs yet I can tell you many times I stupidly dropped my bike when I did not expect it. Yes 58 yrs of driving cages & wheeling around m/cs plus I use to test m/cs for a major m/c mag along with part-owner of two m/c shops along with managing two of them. Tack on 42 yrs of tough competion in all forms of m/c competition.

QUESTION: Do you take on any sports like baseball, soccar, football, basketball, & such? Do you feel if you bought the same gear as the experts in the sport could you join with them & be just as good?

How come they seemingly all started from the bottom & worked their way up, with many falling out of the sport as it was to much for them? After all if they could have started at the top then that would be the same as you buying one of the fastest trotting most touchy bikes on the market & expecting to ride it like those that have worked their way up the ladder.

We are not out to ridiclule you for we would like to see you on the board & enjoying the sport & to later on hear what you might be purchasing as you NEXT bike. We do not want to hear about you with a bike totalled & you in the hospital with severe injuries.

Do remember for years we have been runing into newbies like yourself that feel they can buy a top rate bike & not have costly problems. So we TRY to give you advise from OUR experience.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by clover
I am wondering how yall think i'll lay it down or crash or something?Because i'm never gonna be racing or doing stupid stuff,i'm getting this bike for mainly just to cruise around in and maybe show it off.lol.On the wheelies i'm not gonna try anything like that for a long time or maybe never.Because i really want to get a 600 and i don't want to,if i'll mess it up.Which i really don't see how i can do it.Heres another question do you think i would ever lay it over or anything,as long as i rode smart and safe and obeyed all the speed limits,just like cruising around on it?Thanks for the help so far to.
here's a link to a thread... this guy just bought a new bike... and has been riding for a while... yet he laid it down... all it takes is one little mistake or laps in attention... even for the most experienced... honestly you may never drop your bike... but the odds are against ya... and we'd hate to see ya spend all that money for a new bike only to scratch it up... enough of me rambling... here's that link http://sbw.sportbikes.com/showthread...threadid=51278
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode