New Rider/Member - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

New Rider/Member

Hey guys, i've been in the "shadows" if you will, of the forums just reading and looking around and i still have a few questions.

First of all, for those of you who ride CBR's(F2 or F3) How responsive are they? Are they a little bit too quick for a new rider? I have a little bit of experience on Dirt bikes but nothing spectacular. I wouldnt consider myself experienced and i dont want to end up killing myself right away. I am about to enroll in the MSF course so thats taken care of. What does everyone think about CBRs as a starting bike?

Another question... In Wisconsin(where i live) its not riding weather year around as most of you know. I dont mind that part... but what about riding in the rain. I was hoping to get one before school ends(Im in High school, 17 years old) and then get as much use out of it during the summer/fall as i can. The weather has been basically rain for the past few weeks and i was starting to get hesitant on whether or not a bike would be "good" for this climate. Dont get me wrong, i want a bike bad.. but maybe its just not the right time. If riding in the rain CAN be safe.. then i have no problem getting one. Its just i dont have a cage.. and this would be my only mode of transportation.

Any input/comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

-TeCh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 06:30 PM

Welcome to the site!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 06:44 PM

Good job getting the MSF course before you get your bike, you'll definitely find this as time well spent.

IMHO, CBR F2/F3 would make a fine starter bike for you if you feel comfortable on the bike, and you can be responsible when riding.

Personally, I hate riding in the rain. Visibility sucks, handling isn't nearly as good, and most of all- cars see even less of you. Some people don't have an issue riding in the rain, but I always tried to avoid it as much as possible. Just my

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 07:42 PM

Welcome, if you wanna try riding in the rain, do it in your spare time. It might suck to do it for the first time when you have to be somewhere. Be safe, no need to rush is what I'm trying to say.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 10:38 PM

Any sportbike is responsive over 3000 RPM, so keep it under 3000 RPM until you feel comfortable with the throttle. I used to live in Oregon and I won't say I liked it, but it was a different and fun experience to ride in the rain (not massive downpours, but light showers). If you are intending to ride in the rain regularly I would get a large windscreen (double-bubble or similar) and some water resistant riding gear. Soggy shoes suck!

As your MSF class should have told you, the worst time to ride is the first 1/2 hour, when the oil and grime hasn't made it into the sewers. Take it easy; not hard on the gas or brakes, and watch out for railroad crossings, because they are very slick.

Welcome to SBW

Trevor

"Don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter."

"When I drink, something happens. This guy called Buzzy comes out. And he proceeds to do whatever he wants, I guess'' - Wayne Rainey
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 02:15 AM

I agree with the rest. Cars leave lots of oil and crap on the roads you wouldn't notice until you ride a bike. Being your only mode of transportation I would suggest you learn to ride safe. There are so many things you'd never think of that can cause problems. Living where you do it would be wise to at least get a hooptie cuz you won't wanna ride in the rain all the time. Even the best riders have problems so the less experience you have the more chance of trouble. Be safe and welcome aboard. Being so young you gotta be careful most young riders try to ride beyond their ability. Don't try and push it in the rain play it safe and you'll live longer and save yourself lots of repairs. Wait for dry days to try and improve your skills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode