New rider with some questions - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

New rider with some questions

Let me introduce myself before I start bombarding you all with questions. My name is Chad and I'm a 21 yr old Computer Engineering student at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology. My current "ride" is a 1984 Porsche 944, so not a bike, but still fun. I use it as a road race and autocross car as well as my daily driver. Seeing how I'm an ROTC cadet, after graduation I have to do 4 yrs in the Air Force and right now it looks like I am going to be stationed at Eglin AFB, FL.

Now here for my questions. I want to get a sport bike to cruise up and down the beach I'm 5'8" 185 so right now I'm looking at CBR 600s, GSXR 600s, and R6s. This will be my first street bike, but I do have some experience riding as I rode dirt bikes as a kid. The Air Force requires that I take a safety course so I will have that under my belt as well. Which bike do you guys think would be a better first bike and how do you feel about a 600 as a first bike?

Thanks in advance

- Chad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 12:07 PM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh

Finally another person from Terrible Hole! A Rose-Hulman student at that! My wife and I currently live in TH, and I'm a 2000 Rose grad, Chemical Engineering.

Anyway, to answer your bike questions, you'll find mixed reviews on what is a good beginner bike and what isn't. For the most part we all tend to agree that starting small is best, but our views diverge where we define "small." Personally I think someone with your previous experience (dirt riding will not do much for you on the street though, other than teach you the very basics of riding), who has taken the MSF (or other training course, which I believe is offered at ISU), and who has the proper riding gear and attitude will do just great on a 600 as a beginner. I would advise against brand new for a few reasons though. Chances are you'll drop it once or twice while learning, so it's better to do it on a used bike than a new one. Also, let someone else take the depreciation hit on the new bike.

Personally I'm a Honda fan, but am looking at the Yamahas for a next one as well. Kawasakis and Suzukis just don't do it for me, though I would at least consider a Kaw. Go to a dealership (there is one here in TH, but they have very limited stock) and sit on everything you can to see what feels/looks the best to you. Washington St./US 40 in Indy has a number of dealers on it too, just inside 465 on the west side.

Good luck!

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Where you affiliated while you were at Rose? I'm a Delta Sig. I was planning on stopping at the dealer in TH tomorrow to look, but if they don't have anything I am going to be in Indy on Sunday for a Porsche meet. I've been talking to some of my friends and professors who have bikes and I've also found that they have different ideas of what small is... One, who now rides a hayabusa, says a 600 will be fine, and others say a 250 would be better to start with.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 12:43 PM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by spicersh

Finally another person from Terrible Hole! A Rose-Hulman student at that! My wife and I currently live in TH, and I'm a 2000 Rose grad
We don't hold that against you, though Same goes for you Chad.

Quote:
Originally posted by spicersh
Chemical Engineering.
At least it was the right discipline

Chad, I'm actually tired of the what bike discussion so here are some links which are easily found using the Search feature or just paging through New Riders to help you get the feel of most opinions on the subject:
http://sbw.sportbikes.com/showthread...threadid=50871
http://sbw.sportbikes.com/showthread...threadid=50519

Note that the Debate thread gets.. aggressive after a while, but it starts off really well.

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 01:09 PM
S370HSSV 0773H

I was a FIJI....sort of. I went through the motions, but never really got into it.

The TH dealer does have some bikes in stock, but in Indy you'll be able to sit on just about anything you want. Well, anything from the big four anyway (Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki).

You can't go wrong with one of the smaller bikes, that's for sure. First thing to do is take the MSF! I assume you have a lead on where to take it, but just in case:

www.msf-usa.org

http://www.doe.state.in.us/safety/mre.html

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 01:14 PM
S370HSSV 0773H

Quote:
Originally posted by kanwisch
We don't hold that against you, though Same goes for you Chad.

At least it was the right discipline
Your school-envy is showing....

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

hahaha and the old Rose-Hulman - Purdue debate starts yet again... lol... I actually read the other posts, but always like to hear some info that is specific to my situation. I post on Porsche forums, and always hate it when n00bs post FAQs but hey i just had to. I have actually looked into the MSF course because in order for me to get a bike the air force requires that I take one.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 07:51 PM

I think a 600 is a very possible bike to start on for a mature individual who know his own limits. I rode an R6 today and in the stock form it aint all that jumpy on the throttle, and it is easy to corner due to the light weight. The brakes are very touchy though. Now, a 750 or a litre will be a different story. Get some gear and frame sliders so if eat it you and your bike will hopefully be cool.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 06:12 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by wombat7
hahaha and the old Rose-Hulman - Purdue debate starts yet again... lol
Nah, Purdue is just a local place, not one in my heart

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

So I went and sat on some bikes today and was definately surprised... I loved the feel of the R6, and surprisingly the feel of a Kaw ZX-6R, I wasn't very impressed with the CBR and absolutely hated the GSXR. Any opinions on the first 3 bikes??

kawisch - where did you go to school?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode