getting back into riding - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

getting back into riding

i want to start riding again, but it's been a while. i started about 20 years ago on a GPZ 550, which i rode for a year. A few years after that i got Shadow1100, but got rid of it cuz i didn't like the riding position. And about 2 years ago i took my bud's Buell Blast for a quick spin (very easy to ride). Been riding quads regularly for a couple of years now. Still, i'm feeling pretty rusty (haven't been on o bike since the Blast) and was wondering about the MSF courses. Problem is i feel that the beginners course will probably be way too basic and the advanced course will probably be a little too advanced. Just wondering if i should just get a bike and take my time getting used to it, or if i should try to find some kind of refresher course. Which leads me to my 2nd question, which bike should i get (the #1 overly asked question on this forum, right)? Seems that to most on these forums, the Honda 600 F4i might be a little too much bike (my second favorite in terms of how the bike feels), while the sv650 and YZF 600R might be a great bikes to relearn on (though i don't particularly like the feel of the sv650), and i think that the 500s (Ninja and GS) might be a little too begnner-ish. Any thoughts as to what my next move might be? Get an R1 maybe??? J/K Thanks in advance.
d
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 09:19 PM

All of your choices, except the R1 seem like good bikes for getting back into street riding. Is there such thing as an advanced MSF course? I thought it was just beginner.

"Don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter."

"When I drink, something happens. This guy called Buzzy comes out. And he proceeds to do whatever he wants, I guess'' - Wayne Rainey
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 09:22 PM

As for the MSF Course I will let others say for I started riding in '46 & have not stopped so no course in my time & to late for me in mid-60s.

The SV-650 is also in the SV-650S being with a 1/2 fairing, V-twin 650, clip-ons & rear-sets are back & a bit higher. So feel you would like the latter as you like the slight lean to the front.

Still the Yamaha YZF-600r is a sweet bike with again a decent slight lean forward riding position, large fairing & so better rider coverage & though suspension is a bit soft it is adjustable through pre-load, compression, & rebound which the Suzy lacks & one of the reasons for it being higher in price then the SV-650S.

It has more power then then Suzy & simply fantastic stopping power.

In '97 I looked at the other 600s & picked the YZF600r due to its more sensible riding position, good stopping power & such. Still have it & to-morrow I will be rolling it out for 5 to 6+ hr run in the mtn roads at the same pace as I put my Honda 929 & 954 at.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 06:10 AM

Take the MSF course.

I rode for a relatively short time (1 year), took a couple years off, then got another bike last summer. I took the course, and like you thought I'd be bored because I already knew how to ride.

They do start off as basic as you get, but once you start doing the riding drills, it's actually pretty fun. And you WILL learn new things that could save your a$$. Don't skimp on investing in protecting yourself.

I read some statistic about motorcycle fatalities in NH from last year. This may not be down to the right number...but out of something like 29 deaths, 20 were riders over 40, and only 2 out of the 29 were MSF trained. The point was a lot of people are getting back into riding today, that haven't ridden in a while, and because they don't feel like "beginners," they're buying powerful bikes and not taking the course.

The Ninja 500 isn't a bad bike at all. Thing will easily cruise at 100mph, and if you find one used, you should easily be able to resell it for close to, if not what you paid. Not to mention they're fun as hell for conering. If you have to go 600, the SV is the better choice out of what you have listed.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.TrevorClever
All of your choices, except the R1 seem like good bikes for getting back into street riding. Is there such thing as an advanced MSF course? I thought it was just beginner.
There's Beginner, Intermediate and Expert classes. And I think 2-up as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode