1997 Yamaha FZR600R - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

1997 Yamaha FZR600R

I'm looking at 1997 Yamaha FZR600R's, what do you guys think about those bikes? Are they good for beginners/intermediate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 05:31 PM

They're great bikes...in my opinion, excellent for an intermediate, maybe not so for a complete beginner. How much experience do you have?

While it doesn't have the performance of the new supersports, it's still a pretty fast bike. If you're learning to ride, something like a Ninja 250/500, or Suzuki's GS500 are great bikes. Light, more forgiving to mistakes(which every beginner makes), and easier to build confidence and good riding skills on, rather than a 600+ sport bike.

Some people may disagree, and the FZR600 may even be borderline for an ok beginner's bike, but it's still a lot of bike if you've never ridden.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

I only have experience on dirt bikes and I'm looking to get into street bikes. The problem is i'm limited to about $3000 budget and I'm looking for a bike to learn on but still be satisfied with it when i get experience.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 06:27 PM

The FZR600 was & is a good bike. I have the next step up being the YZF600r from '97 till the present '05. Both prior to the R6 design which was pretty dramatic.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Superformance
I only have experience on dirt bikes and I'm looking to get into street bikes. The problem is i'm limited to about $3000 budget and I'm looking for a bike to learn on but still be satisfied with it when i get experience.
I'm not necessarily trying to deter you from buying that bike if you really want it, but most beginner bikes I mentioned, the resale is extremely easy, and with used bikes, you can sell them for what you paid a year or so later. There's a HUGE demand for used, lower priced, entry level bikes.

My first bike was a Ninja 250, I "stole" it at $750 and sold it for $1000 later in the year in a matter of days after putting it online.

My second bike was a 1997 Katana 600, which I paid $2000 for last year, then just sold it the other day for $2100...that lasted one week online.

So don't worry about jumping into something higher than your skill level because you don't want to change bikes. But even that FZR at the $3K range will hold it's value for a while.

If that's the bike you really want, go for it. One of the smartest things you can do also, is take the MSF course(Motorcycle Safety Foundation) and buy some good riding gear to protect yourself.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Thank's for all the advice, I haven't fully decided on a bike yet, I'm just browsing craigslist for deals.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

What do you guys think about 600 and 750 Katana's? How is their performance, handling, reliability?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 06:13 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Superformance
What do you guys think about 600 and 750 Katana's? How is their performance, handling, reliability? [/QUOTE

I just got rid of mine. I liked it because it's more comfortable than something like a CBR, Ninja, ect. Handlebars sit a little bit higher, seating position is less cramped. It's a pretty heavy bike for a "sport," somewhere around 450 dry weight. It takes some getting used to as far as slow manuevering, which I thought was the hardest part about learning. But a lot of people start off on Katanas.

They're very reliable, been using the same powerplant from 1988 to current, has plenty of power(but not enough where you're going to wheelie it w/o the clutch), and is a comfortable bike you can ride for a while without getting cramped up. They're definitely good used bikes for the $$. I think 0-60 is right around 4 seconds flat, so they're quick(not compared to a new Sport though).

They handle pretty well, slower turning then a newer sport, but keep planted to the road well. And they feel pretty stable on the highway. It's a fun bike for the twisties. They're actually considered a sport-tourer.

Stick with the 600 on that bike though, the 750 just adds more weight and uneeded power(for a beginner).

Last edited by slaps76; 04-22-2005 at 06:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode