hey, new rider, wanting some feedback - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

hey, new rider, wanting some feedback

Hey all, i been wanting to get a sport bike for some time, currently saving up for one... I have a few questions.

I bought a dirt bike some time ago, previous to that i had never been on any type of bike, it took me a week before i was wheelieing it and was in full control, im not being cocky, i fell off a couple times, never seriously injured, bruises, scrapes. It took me 3 weeks before i became bored of it. dont confuse this with being afraid of it.

I'm looking at 600cc super sport's, as my first bike, i really like the r6 and i like the zx6r... my question is what one is more suited for me? I want something ill be able to learn on, and then stunt the hell out of it...

i want a new bike, knowing full well ill drop it eventually... i doubt ill drop it while im learning to ride, probably something i cant control like getting unlucky with a turn of some sort, shit happens.

if not a new bike i want a fairly new bike, what kinda prices could i expect to pay for a new or fairly new bike?

other than the looks of the bikes i listed i have no idea in thier preformance, i think the zx6r has a 636cc engine? and the r6 has the 599cc ?

Last edited by Glist3rin; 04-17-2005 at 08:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 09:02 PM

Most people will suggest a smaller bike or 90's 600cc. If you are a quick learner, I'd say go ahead. A slightly used bike will cost nearly as much as a new one (maybe save $500-$1000). A new bike at least has warrenty. Still, invest in the frame sliders cuz its cheaper to repace the sliders than body plastics.

More than likely, you won't out grow the bike or push it to its limits. Pick the one that feels most comfy. Ninja is a 636 and a bit faster than the R6, but the R6 handles the twisties better.

Last edited by Juke'n round; 04-17-2005 at 09:09 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 10:31 PM

you are looking at spending 3-4 thou for a late 90's 600, and 4-5 thou for an early '00's.

check your insurance before you make a commitment to a certain year or size bike. sometimes getting a 2000 as opposed to a 2003 can save you lots of money.

"Don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter."

"When I drink, something happens. This guy called Buzzy comes out. And he proceeds to do whatever he wants, I guess'' - Wayne Rainey

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Juke'n round
More than likely, you won't out grow the bike or push it to its limits. Pick the one that feels most comfy. Ninja is a 636 and a bit faster than the R6, but the R6 handles the twisties better.
None are newbie bikes, but no one cares to hear that. But just to get facts straight, 636 is not only more powerful (3rd gear power wheelies), but handles better than R6 or 600RR. But the latter two "feels" the smallest.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

hrm, can either bike get the front to 12 oclock without clutching it up? what one is easyer? whats the highest gear this can be done in? the ninja can do it in 3rd?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 02:01 PM

When I read this line "-- it took me a week before i was wheelieing it and was in full control,---" I knew we had someone intersted in doing trick riding & showing off. So reason I did not answer.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
When I read this line "-- it took me a week before i was wheelieing it and was in full control,---" I knew we had someone intersted in doing trick riding & showing off. So reason I did not answer.
I agree here.. I've got 34,000 miles on my 1999 R6 and I still feel that I have a while to go before I get fulll control. I would have to say; just take your time. Do not rush things.

"The good, & the evil; there never really is one without the other...!?"
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

its a crf150, its a toy compared to a sport bike, and yes... im going to be wheelieing the hell out of it when i feel im ready, and bragging to hell and back about it. im intrested in stunting it, im goign to stunt it, im going to fall, im going to injure myself.

the key part is, im not going to do it on the road, ill take it to a nice safe place and do it, i may be irrational, but i am not irresponsable... i can come to term about harming myself, but i wouldnt be able to live another day if i hurt somone else toying around.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

also, another question... are stunters looked down apon by other riders? honestly fast corners, fast riding in general doesnt appeal to me.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

whats the diffrence between the yzf-r6 and the yzf600r, other than the 600r being 1grand less? specs? im looking at pictures i cant tell any diff between one being chrome kinda and the other isnt... i am a squid when it comes to bikes, but i thought i could notice some kinda design diffrence with the exerior but i cant find it... anyone care to explain?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode