Riddle me this.... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Riddle me this....

My mom works in the E.R. She says the worst cases she has seen in her 21 years of nursing is people in motorcycle wrecks. She also says that, in most cases, the rider isn't at fault; it's the car driver who hits them and the fact that they aren't seen. Now to my question: Is it true that people are constantly shifting into your lane or pulling out in front of you while you are riding? I'm not trying to die, but I want a motorcycle more than I have ever wanted anything in my entire life. If there is any advice you can give for being seen or avoiding this problem, please tell. Thanks in advance for your help. Holla.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 11:21 AM

I work in a hospital.... though not in the ER... I do hear many stories about Bike accidents... some are and some aren't the riders fault... but to be honest they don't really bug me... too much... I just ask how it happened and try to learn from their mistake... or misfortune....

The best thing you can do is take the mentality of VASH and read his quote at the bottom of my post...
1. Take the MSF course... they'll teach you what to do in an emergency situation so WHEN it DOES happen... you can react and possibly leave unscathed...
2. Ride like everyone’s out to get you
3. Always wear your gear... even for those 2 mile trips to the 7-11
4. Wear something bright... the brighter... the more chance they'll see you...
5. don’t' ride in blind spots... though to be honest... with most cars... anywhere but directly in front of them is a blind spot....
Good luck on getting a bike... what are you looking as far as bikes anyways?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 12:17 PM

For the most part, cage drivers are the biggest obstacle to making it home in one piece. The general consensus is that bikes are hard to see. IMO, anything is hard to see if you're blind, retarded and on a cell phone eating a hamburger, so as far as I'm concerned, it's not that we're hard to see, it's that blind people (drivers) don't see much of anything anyway.

It's no reason not to ride, though. All you have to realize is that a cage tard will NEVER do what they're supposed to, and they will ALWAYS do whatever will jam you up the most.
A few around here have signatures to that effect.. and it's definately true.

Once you learn to expect them to pull out in front of you, and swerve drunken into your lane, you get the hang of this cage-avoidance stuff real quick.

The most important things, IMO, are:
Never hang out in a cage tards' blind spot. They can't see you when you're right in front of them, so they REALLY can't see you in their blind spot.
and,
Always be either in front of or behind a cage or cages. (Most applicable on a freeway) Never ride along side a cage for any longer than is required for you to either pass them or fall behind them. You can handle them braking in front of you a lot better than them coming at you from the side.

Just expect them to try to kill you, and you'll do well at avoiding them.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 09:20 PM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
To be honest, after reading a lot of posts on here before getting into anything that would even be considered "moderate" traffic, and also reading through the Ohio M/C permit booklet, I was somewhat apprehensive about driving in traffic. From all of the propaganda we are fed, we are led to believe that cages darting in front of us will be something that we have to contend with several times a ride. Maybe that is so for some people.

Where I ride (biggest town I've ridden in is Springfield, OH, so I guess my input may not be worth your time) I have only had 2 instances of cages actually coming into my lane. Both were inside the limits of a city, so the speeds weren't outrageous. The forst one actually signalled, looked, and came into my lane very slowly. I didn't even have to hit the brakes. The engine did the job for me. After they came into my lane, I gave them a nice wave, and the 1-finger salute. But judging from the look on their face, they were aware of what had happened, and probably were extra careful for at least the next 45 seconds.

The second was a full-size van that was trying to get around a car right on the edge of town where the speed changes from 35-50. He didn't signal, just came over. I had enough room to get over towards the line and slow down enough to give him room, but I also extended him the courteous salute.

Sure, there's been people that have come damn close to pulling out in front of me, or cutting me off, but the majority of the time, if I think there's going to be a problem, I put myself in the place where they are most likely to see me, and make sure that if they do what I don't want them to do, I will be able to make an escape.

Granted, this is only my second riding season. Therefore, what I say will probably be disregarded by many. However, I do have one firm belief:

Experience helps you react. Common sense helps you prevent. Both help you survive.

Hope this helps.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by snakesht
However, I do have one firm belief:

Experience helps you react. Common sense helps you prevent. Both help you survive.

Hope this helps.
that's one of the most inteligent statements I've seen on SBW...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 05:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to DocThee Send a message via Yahoo to DocThee
Quote:
Originally posted by Ebbs15
I work in a hospital.... though not in the ER... I do hear many stories about Bike accidents... some are and some aren't the riders fault... but to be honest they don't really bug me... too much... I just ask how it happened and try to learn from their mistake... or misfortune....

The best thing you can do is take the mentality of VASH and read his quote at the bottom of my post...
1. Take the MSF course... they'll teach you what to do in an emergency situation so WHEN it DOES happen... you can react and possibly leave unscathed...
2. Ride like everyone’s out to get you
3. Always wear your gear... even for those 2 mile trips to the 7-11
4. Wear something bright... the brighter... the more chance they'll see you...
5. don’t' ride in blind spots... though to be honest... with most cars... anywhere but directly in front of them is a blind spot....
Good luck on getting a bike... what are you looking as far as bikes anyways?
+1

My little sister is taking the MSF course and she is worried about the same things you are. In addition to the above, I told her to ride her bike as if she were invisible. Act like no body on the road can see her. To me, that is sound advice. You have get out of the comfort zone as if you were in a car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keep the ride on...

AIM and Yahoo! - DocThee

"Anything can be a medicine or a poison."

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Seperabit
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 05:30 AM

Yeah, people who tell that they ride to "Zone out" or "relax", they're Harley riders . It's the complete opposite when riding traffic, controlled paranoia is one way to describe it.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 08:41 AM

Some of the best tips above & yes the more you ride the better you become not only as a m/cist, but as a cage driver.

This is the start of my 59th year of continually riding & driving. Admittely I do NOT live in large cities for I do not like crowds.

While I had a few accidents at the start, in all cases the cage drivers were in the wrong & I received no more then damaged bikes & road rash. Note in the late 40s & early 50s no one wore a crash helmet & protective gear was not seen untill in the late 70s for competition riders.

Yet the same with my cage bar times it was hit while legally parked which also includes my m/cs.

So do note my signature below this post & that will tell you how to view others on cages in NEVER trusting them to obey the rules of the road to not even trusting them to stop a STOP signs, will turn left with no signal, ride right up behind you to gentle nudge you like they do to other cages at STOP signs & so many other crazy things.

After all & minor fender-bender between two cage drivers is simply who was in the wrong & who's insurance will pay for the damage, as both are self-balanced vehicles & the drivers inside are protected, but when it comes to the same with one being a m/cist WELL the cage is SELF-BALANCED & massive so the winner with the rider down on its side & possibly the rider was hauled off to the emergency ward. So you have to learn how to ride in a defensive manner.

Lastly once I was given a bit of a lecture on how to look at all the others on the hwy THAT was the stop of my accidents. True more detailed then my signature, but that small bit was the big line I as a 18 yr old (already into many forms of dirt comp) received from a Vet that started his riding in the 20s!!!!!!

Last edited by Smitty; 04-21-2005 at 06:29 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 09:04 AM

I have only seen a few accidents that weren't the riders fault.

Even if it is legally the drivers fault, The rider usually put himself in a position he couldn't get out of.

Ride as if there no traffic rules... no lights, no stop signs, no lines.... nothing. Asume that a car will come out of EVERY side street. Assume that every car will change lanes into you. Assume that no one will stop for the light. Always have an escape route. Never let someone compromise your way out.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 09:27 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by Z_Fanatic
Yeah, people who tell that they ride to "Zone out" or "relax", they're Harley riders . It's the complete opposite when riding traffic, controlled paranoia is one way to describe it.
+1

In the MSF, they'll tell you not to ride if you've had anything to drink (EtOH wise), if you're tired, irate, or unfocused. Words to live by.

Riding in this morning on a flat state route, a farmer pulled out in his pickup roughly 50' in front of me while I was doing ~70mph; no traffic anywhere else. Its just a facet of riding that you get used to and you grow a paranoia around.

As for riding in FRONT of vehicles, I have firsthand experience that this can be VERY bad. When coming to a stop, if the guy following you appears to be distratcted even slightly, be sure to stay in gear and watch out your rearview mirror. Do this anytime you're at a stop with no one behind you. I've avoided 2 rear endings now and been hit once very minimally, all thanks to keen awareness.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode