An Idea for people who want to start on a bigger bike - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

An Idea for people who want to start on a bigger bike

It seems that a lot of beginers want to ride bikes that may be too powerful for them. I think this is somewhat due to the "cool factor" and the styling of the newer more powerful bikes as compared with some of the more beginer friendly bikes. Well I've been thinking that if you limited the power of a 600 race replica, 750 or liter bike you could make it more forgiving for the beginer(powerwise at least). This could be accomplished by adding a governor (maybe a throttle stop) that didn't let the engine get all the way in the power band, some sort of intake restrictor plate, or in the case of FI bikes a program that limited rpm or changed the fuel mapping to take power out of the engine. This would let the beginer start with the bike they wanted at a power level they would be able to handle easier. It would also be reversible to allow for the bike to grow with them when their skills increase instead of having to sell the first bike and aquire another, more powerful, bike which can sometimes be a pain. Just a thought since I see so much discussion about people who want these superfast bikes to start. What do you guys think? Later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 05:36 PM

Re: An Idea for people who want to start on a bigger bike

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Nice Guy
...This could be accomplished by adding a governor...
Were you in my head this morning???

I had that same thought while riding to work today!!!

The bikes I did my course on had governors.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 05:52 PM

If someone wants a new 05 bike because of how it looks, you can get an older bike and make a couple modifications to it.. and you have a "new, cool" looking bike. My bike is a 97, but I get lots of compliments on it, even more then some of my friends with '04 and '05 models.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

I know what you mean about some older bikes still looking really cool but I was referring to the bikes that are usually recomended as starters. For example the 250 and 500 Ninjas have terribly out of date styling IMHO. The only one that I can think of that I like for a newer starter bike are the GS500F. I think they did really well by putting modern looking bodywork on the GS500. I guess Kawasaki dosen't want to spend the money to update the looks of their 500 since I'm sure the profit margin is much less than on their bigger bikes. It's too bad really though because I think beginers want a good looking bike and end up with something way to powerful becuase of it. Anywhooo I think detuning a more powerful bike might help with that. Just my .02
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 08:18 PM

That's true. I doubt you could do anything to make the Ninja 250 and 500 look good. I was mostly talking about older 600s.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 10:37 PM

I'll second that. Nearly any motorcycle is a blast to ride but my ninja 250 is ugly as sin.

O well at least I'am not to worried about the scuff marks, and learned the hard way why tank covers are needed^_^

Can't wait to start breaking in that new bike this fall
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 12:53 PM

In that way you would have a bike broken in to only be riden at slower/beginner speeds. That also means when it comes to wanting he bike to really trot for some reason or another, with the governor removed, the bike does not seem to have the punch & power that it should

Allow me to suggest you dial up the following & READ it from start to finish:
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

I know what you mean about the break-in stuff. 've heard of this before. BTW the link works if you take the period off of the end. I guess maybe it wouldn't work with a brandy new one but if its an already broke in used bike it should be alright. Good thinking on the new bikes. That hadn't occured to me......Later
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 06:30 PM

A good 'used' bike then it could work. Still never on a new bike for I read all the time of those saying they will buy the best & just ride it sensibly. That might be so for the first week & if the bike is till upright & not damaged then they are going full chat & totally beyond their control.

Problem with a nicely broken in 'used' bike what are we talking about in milage & time for during those starting days the bike will be dropped every so often as the bike will be fitted with brakes way to touchy for a beginner to handle properly in those early days, that so many grab a handful of the front brake lever of a 500cc twin & dump the bike. On a sportbike just one finger will lock up the front wheel instantly. Most beginners reach out will all fingers to the clutch & brake levers when in actual fact only two are needed & again a hair to much, the front wheel locks & suddenly you go down with the bike for an "unknowen reason" since you were riding sensibly.

Give a newbie a costly .22 cal target rifle & he cannot hit the target any better then with a real chap rifle. So the same in the m/c world.

Fit a chap out with the very best of gear the experts use & he cannot step in with the experts & compete will with them in hockey, football, basketball, baseball, or you name it. A newbie is a BEGINNER no matter what & he/she is going to make a lot of errors through the years of working their way up to being close to experts.

Why do you think we have classes in m/c competition of where a new competitor is supplied a NOVICE number, & later a SENIOR number & colours in all cases to finally an EXPERT number?

Lastly we tend to go through such beliefs or thoughts almost yearly.

Last edited by Smitty; 04-16-2005 at 06:35 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

All good points Smitty. I guess the power is only one thing that makes these macines tricky to handle. Just a shame we can't get the manufacturers to come up with more decent bikes suitable for beginers that still have the styling people want. Again I'm sure the profit is with the more powerful and hence costly superbikes.....Later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode