how about this? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

how about this?

A guy at work, might sell his Katana.. it's a 1989 Katana600, it looks in great shape .. but I don't know what to look for exactly.. he has no car, just a bike .. its got almost 18k miles .. he'll sell it for $1000 to me, in like 2months ... wondering if its a good deal, also do bikes mileage work like a car, as far as mechanics and part go...?
thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

???
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 09:34 PM

well...

Take it for a spin, or get a friend to test ride it. Worst case senario, have that dude give you a ride on back. If it running ok, ya can't really go wrong for $1k.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 09:41 PM

The main thing to check for is that the frame/forks etc aren't bent.. but if he's riding it as his main transportation then I can't really see anything major wrong with it.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

anything else?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 10:36 AM

Check the forks to make sure they arent leaking (fixable if they are)

See if it starts easy when the engine is cold (possible carb problems)

Either of those things are fixable, but would be a pain (also not too expansive)

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

so far its lookin good, just the gear is $400 total from what i got, i looked for cheap prices ... and that MSF class is $225.... after i do that, i wont have the cash for the bike lol ... i need a plan.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 12:57 PM

As for this question if your thread "--do bikes mileage work like a car, as far as mechanics and part go...?--". The answer is yes & no. After all a mile is a mile be it by foot, tank, truck, bicycle, etc.

As for parts being avaliable immeditely then NO & often you have to wait a few days to a week. Sure in most cases, but then not all, the shop will have your tyres & a few things like that.

A gear change lever that must be replaced to sometimes even a clutch or brake lever often has to be brought in.

You have a better chance ot getting better service if all shops are equal & you deal with the shop that sells your make of bike.

You cannot roll into a car shop for m/c service for sure & if you have a flat on the hwy & get yourself into a local carge shop again they will not have what is needed.

One advantage of a cage is you can roll into almost any shop & have your cage worked on even if they are just a small town shop that works on cages & not a cage shop that sells such vehicles.

True you might find a backyard m/c mechanic that will work on your bike, but then that is a different story.

Last edited by Smitty; 04-14-2005 at 12:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode