650 vs. 1 liter? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

650 vs. 1 liter?

Well gas prices are up to $2.70 for 87 octane in my area so I'm looking at bikes.

My parents used to ride and my dad always had the big bikes (1 liter) and my parents have said get a big bike, you want the power. Is this still true with the newer bikes? Also what kind of gas mileage can I expect from a 650 vs. 1 liter? Also the 650's I'd figure that they don't get their power until they are way up in the rpm range which I would think would make them more dangerous when you want to get out of the way. I'm new to all of this. I done trail riding on dirt bikes but haven't done that in a few years. What kind of 0-60 are you looking at for a 99-00 year range 650 vs. 1 liter? Can you use 87 octane?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 12:24 PM

Thats funny.
a modern 600 puts out more then 100hp to the road. They have plenty of power. more than you would want for a first bike.

Gas milage hovers in the high 30s and 40s.

0-60 is about 3 sec for 600's and 2.5 sec for liters

Look at an SV650. Its a great starter, that wont leave you bored for a while. Its a twin, so it wont feel peaky. And there is lots of aftermarket support for it.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 12:40 PM

You should have done a search on this. People are going to tear you a part. Anyway, my 2c.
I started on a R6, and I think I handle the bike just fine. People will tell you that it is to aggessive in the way it handles and such, but I do fine on it. As far as power goes, you are right about the low range. My bike doesn't take off until about 8K RPMs, which I like. It helps keep me out of trouble in corners and off starts. If I decide to go fast, it goes...very fast. Make sure you get good gear. I would not start on a liter bike. You can get in too much trouble, too fast. My friend has an R1, and the low end power is incredible. he can pop his tire loose with the flick of the throttle(He can get the front up doing the same). From what I have read on this forum, the quarter mile times are not all that different from the R6 and R1. That is just what I have read though. Hope this helps and good luck. BTW, check out the crash pics in the photos forum.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 01:27 PM
Strength and Honor

Read this thread and it'll save lots of us time. Then come back with questions that don't fit into that conversation so you'll get a more personalized response!

Welcome!

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 01:31 PM

Two points to consider: I've never seen newbies torn apart for asking for advice on literbike as first bike, in fact 90% of the questions we get are of this category, and yet many of us do take the time to give our best suggestion, as such is the case.

Secondly, just to get facts straight, it's the lap time where R1 and R6 are very close (or any 600s VS 1000s from their respective manufacture for that matter), i.e. tracks with twisties and straights, and given two riders of equal skill, these performance figures are apparent. But in straight 1/4 mile, R6 averages about low 10s, and R1 averages about low 9s, stock to stock under experienced riders. This is nowhere near as close, as 1 second is a great difference in the world of racing. For street riders, it may not be much, but it does determine the power delivery of each bike. Even if R1 is only "1 second" faster, it is true this bike will pull from ANY rev range, and clutchless wheelie is easy in any gear, except for 6th.

Having said all this, to Josh: Get an older 600 cc pre-2000 era or Suzuki SV650, you'll be much thankful for the skill you'll quickly gain now, which will be really handy for the big bikes. Because with big bikes, you have no room for error, but small bikes do tolerate these mistakes and give you room to learn.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 01:42 PM

I guess I didn't read that right. 1 second is a big deal in the racing world, but for a street rider, it's not that big of a deal. I was just trying to state that the difference between the two bikes is mostly in the lower range.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 01:50 PM

joshp, if your parents had big litre bikes you might as make, size & year. Even the modern 1000cc plus cruiser will not have the power of the Suzy SV-650 tack in a "power to weight" gain in such a bike.

I can only say with my '97 Yamaha YZF600r on the hwy I get around 55mph while my 929 & 954 use up a bit more. So the SV-650 should do even better then 55mpg.

So there is a figure you can use along with the power factor of the SV-650 Vs big bikes.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 02:07 PM

I doubt that Smitty, I think the SV650 would get about 45 mpg on the highway, and 40 on streets. Because I think V-twins aren't as efficient in fuel consumption as 4 cylinders or vertical twins of equal CCs. Plus there's two version: first generation has carbs and the current ones are FI, so the former would consume more fuel. I have the first gen, and I've reset trip meter to see how much miles I get from full tank, it doesn't look promising as Ninja 250's mpg. Also it has a lot to do with what gear I'm in, if I shortshift to 6th every time, I'm sure I'd get more miles out of it.

Last edited by Z_Fanatic; 04-13-2005 at 02:11 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by kanwisch
Read this thread and it'll save lots of us time. Then come back with questions that don't fit into that conversation so you'll get a more personalized response!

Welcome!
I'm new to the board and in all honesty I didn't know where or how to start my search. I never would have thought about typing in debate to get to a related thread. Thanks for the link.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Z_Fanatic
I doubt that Smitty, I think the SV650 would get about 45 mpg on the highway, and 40 on streets. Because I think V-twins aren't as efficient in fuel consumption as 4 cylinders or vertical twins of equal CCs. Plus there's two version: first generation has carbs and the current ones are FI, so the former would consume more fuel. I have the first gen, and I've reset trip meter to see how much miles I get from full tank, it doesn't look promising as Ninja 250's mpg. Also it has a lot to do with what gear I'm in, if I shortshift to 6th every time, I'm sure I'd get more miles out of it.
Is that supposed to be 25 mpg?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode