Recommended Exercises for Improving? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Recommended Exercises for Improving?

I just ran across someone's definition of a squid (moves fast in straight lines, but turns slow...). How does one improve (besides the obvious...riding more often)?

There must be some undocumented tricks-of-the-trade somewhere....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 10:47 AM

Bar keepin your self in good healty & body condition all I can suggest is that many of the world top road racers also work out on dirt irons. So if you have the money then you could think of doing a lot of tough riding in the dirt as well.

Which brings in an interesting factor that so many of us in the late 40s to early 70s also use to ride a lot in the dirt to even some, like myself, were pretty deep into dirt comp while riding a hwy or street bike was something we did when we had the time.

So in actual fact our dirt riding experience payed off when it came to serious riding like the hwys or road racing on the circuits.

Kenny Roberts has dirt bikes on his ranch along with a flat track course & often just 125cc bikes are used by so many of the better American racers of the past & presently.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 12:03 PM

Well there is defenetly no substitute for seat time. Baring that pick up a few books. My biggest recomendation is "Total Control"
other good ones are "Sport riding techniques" and "Twist of the Wrist". All of these books will have exercises you can do to improve your cornering.

The basic advice I can give you for better cornering
Use countersteering
Have a light grip on the bars, dont strangle them
Relax
Dont over ride your ability. (If you tighten up, you are going too fast)
Look into the corner.
If you start to get scared DO NOT LOOK OUTSIDE THE CORNER, look far away from you at the yellow center line
Try to hold a steady line, dont move back and forth
Be smooth about everything.

Get as much practice as you can

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 01:47 PM

Lightbulb lean

Get comfortable with leaning into corners. The more you lean the faster you can take a corner. When taking corners, keep the RPMs high (at least above 4500), if your in too high a gear and RPMs low the bike may feel like it wants to fall. Practice on a long sweeping curve, use the whole lane if ya must. Then try it again, but this time do not use the entire lane.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 03:18 PM

Ride at a pace you feel comfortable with. Know the road you are riding. Meaning every nook and cranny where you might find dirt/gravel in a turn to places a cage might pull out of. Something that has helped me is thinking of the yellow line as a wall, or if you cross the yellow, consider it a crash. Your lane is your lane. If you are riding by yourself, use all of it you have to. Try starting on the outside of the lane when entering the turn, then move towards the inside as you hit the apex. I was taught using this method since it allows you to see as far thru the turn as possible. Others may/will disagree with this style, but if you are not riding at track speed and are in your comfort zone, it is not a bad habit to use.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 04:16 PM

Go to the track!

A few ccs short of a full litre.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode