About to buy a bike, but need answers! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

About to buy a bike, but need answers!

Hey, I'm new. I've been reading about bikes and shopping around for a while. I've ridden a few times before, but I'm definately a beginner.

I found a '91 CBR600 in town here, and it has 18,400 miles on the clock. The guy is asking $2,500. A buddy that knows bikes went with me to check it out. The only think that looks like a problem is:
When the handlebars are facing straight ahead, the front wheel is about 3 degrees to the right. I found this problem discussed on this site, but never really found anyone that said they fixed it. Anyone know for sure? New forks are about $100 on ebay. Overall, it's in really good shape for a 14 year old bike.

How much should I offer for this bike, and what's the most anyone thinks I should pay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 11:01 PM

If it's noticeable that the front wheel and handlebars are not perfectly aligned, you've got to assume that bike has been down, and been down hard.

If'n I were in your shoes I would completely forget this bike.

If you were to buy it, the most I'd pay is what it's worth parted out.

IMO, steer clear of this thing. Based on your description, it sounds like someone is trying to unload a wrecked out POS on an unsuspecting new rider.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 05:59 AM

This bike sounds like its going to require a good deal of work, trying to fix hidden damage.
The biggest danger is that you might not see some of this damage, untill its too late.

I'd be cautious

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick replies, I really wasn't expecting to be told to stay away from it. Ill tell you a little more about it: The bike has been repainted, but my buddy took off a few of the farings and no repair work had been done on them. The only sign of anything being fixed is on the inside of where the turn signal is on the left. You can only tell that by looking at the unpainted side, which leads me to believe that it was done before the new paint. I didn't look close enough to see if there were any signs of the original paint, but it definately was not just painted over the stickers. Also, it has a few scratches on the crank case. It's starting to sound like the guy that's selling it is either full of s*** or the guy he got it from it.

So could anything else cause the wheel/handlebar misalignment besides a crash?

Last edited by Coupon; 04-12-2005 at 08:28 AM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Coupon

A very big vice. Seriously, no not really. I personally wouldnt mind cosmetic crash damage (scratches and such) but bent forks scare me. There is always a chance that the steering head (part of the frame) is bent too, or it could be stress cracked. Scary.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

A big vice, thanks, smartass.

I don't mind cosmetic damage either, I kinda expect that on a used bike that has been someone else's first bike too. What else could I look for to see if there is any damage to the steering head?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 08:44 AM

you'll have to take plastics off, but look at where the two spars are welded to the head. If there are any signs of rust/cracks, run away. If there arents, it doesnt mean that they are not there. A frame needs to be x-rayed to be sure.
My general rule is cosmetic damage is ok, but if the crash was severe enough to bend the forks you dont want that bike. We are most likely talking about 60mph into a telephone pole sort of crash here.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
We are most likely talking about 60mph into a telephone pole sort of crash here.
That serious huh? Just to be 3 degrees off? I'll probably avoid this one then. Thanks for the help.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 10:06 AM
Dad

Quote:
Originally posted by Coupon
Yes...... but these guys aren't totally wrong in their thoughts and assesments. Be VERY careful.

The front end can be "tweaked", meaning sprung in a direction that can be pretty mis-aligned, but will settle back in after loosening the clamp bolts on both triple clamps that hold the fork tubes. The front end will be at least bound and be sticky operating if it's that badly sprung. It can also be the result of a very sloppy assembly job during a front end installation, tightening things before everything is assembled, including the front axle. Somebody who has REAL experience should look at this and an attempt should be made to settle the front end and attempt to fix that problem. The owner should not object as it will only make the bike more saleable and safer for whoever buys it.

Probably not the problem, but how did you determine the twist? It wouldn't have been as simple as a bent or misaligned handlebar, would it?

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 11:36 AM

Handlebars out of line with front wheel tells you something is wrong & most tend to not paint their bikes for that also leads many into feeling the bike has been damaged as that is one of the tricks of covering up more serious damage.

One of the largest problems on modern sportbikes is the all alloy frame & so often it is damaged of where the steering head is out a bit.

If insurance people even see a scuff mark is on any part of the alloy frame then that bike is TOTALLED.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode