is it true? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

is it true?

I have heard different things about having to get full coverage when taking out a loan on a used bike from the bank? Can you take a loan out from the bank on a used bike and be able to get liability or do you still have to get full coverage on a used one just like on a new one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 06:33 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
I would say that pretty much any time that you have a lien on the bike, you will have to have full coverage. It protects the lien holder (in your case, the bank) if you happen to wad the thing up after making only one payment.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 06:40 AM

It's true

John B.
I could stop if I wanted to.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 06:58 AM

It generally holds true, but there are ways around it. If you have good credit with a bank you could do the lien unsecured, or put up something else as collateral. Of course if you are dealing with a big bank, this may not work. That is the glory of small banks that know their customers. A local Kawasaki dealer told me that if you finance a new bike through them, you don't have to show proof of insurance at all.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 07:19 AM

Here in AZ if you take a loan greater that 2500.00 you must have full coverage. ( at least with my credit union) I think most places have some sort of limit like that.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 10:49 AM

Lightbulb No doubt about it!

Full coverage. You've got to be able to give them their money back in the case of a loss.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 11:27 AM

As I was saying before. You have still signed a promissory note. Just because you have totaled the bike does not mean you don't have to pay it back if there is no full coverage insurance. It makes the bank take a little more risk because you may not want to pay for something you do not have. That is where your credit comes into play. If I had someone that had a 600 credit score and wanted to finance 100% of the bike without full coverage, I would say no. If I had someone with a 750 C.S. that had 10% down, and made good money, I would do it. Even if you die in a crash, the money will come out of your estate.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

I'm just wanting to take out a loan $6000 or under on a used bike. I'm 20 years old and I am trying to establish credit using a credit card that I have had almost a year. I have a brand new truck with a $450 monthly payment thats in my dad's name which isnt helping my credit with $195 monthly insurance as well. If the truck was in my name my insurance would be twice that much so thats why its in my dads name. I'm just wondering how much more credit will I need to build to be able to go into my bank and get a personal loan by myself without a co-signer? I would love to get full coverage if i can find somewhere really cheap and a good deal..right now I just want to be able get approved for a loan. Does the bank look into things like how much you make and where u work when ur talking to them about getting a loan? Or just mainly about what kind of credit you have and how long you have had it?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 06:34 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Did your dad cosign for your truck, or is it completely in his name? If it's cosigned then it is on your credit as well. Even if you need a cosigner to get a bike it will still help you build credit.

As far as what they look at, it's a combination of income, debts, revolving credit (which it sounds like you have very little, which is good), etc. They also look at how many times your credit report has been accessed in the last 6 months or so. Multiple requests on it can indicate that you're trying to open all kinds of credit lines. I'm not sure they so much look at where you work as they do how much you make and how long you've been there.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 08:31 AM

I would highly recommend getting full coverage on your bike. If you cannot afford that, get liability, comprehensive, and medical. Collision is going to be the highest part of it. comprehensive will cover theft, which bikes are prone to, and the 2500 medical will be used in the first 24 hours following your accident, should you have one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode