Hard decision - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Hard decision

Hey guys, i'm new here and had a question about some bikes.

I've gotten my license already(whew), ridden dirt bikes quite a lot, and have ridden my friend's Kawasaki Z750S(I think thats what its called) which I got a good feel for. But I really don't know too much about bikes and was curious to which bike YOU preferred and why?

My options are cut down mainly by price, I'm not worried about power since I've ridden a bike before and felt comfortable.

So this is what I had in mind:

Honda CBR600RR
Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R
Yamaha YZF-R6
(Any others you have in mind)

Alright....so they all are around the same price and seem around the same power. But what im concerned with is mainly realibility and how long each one lasts. Do you like one over the other because its faster and/or because it sounds better? Also, is it cheaply made and is it like the "kia" of motorcycles (sorry kia). Stuff like that.

Oh and do i need to know of any problems any of the bikes that I mentioned above? For instance, does the ninja have any known problems or just something weird about it?

Thanks guys, really appreciate any feedback I get.

Last edited by TMH213; 04-10-2005 at 06:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 06:51 PM

Go Honda!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 03:12 AM

Honda and Yamaha are probably the best. They are neck and neck in reliability, and engine life.

Side note----> Yamaha did help Toyota design their 4 cylinder engines, look how reliable they are. (celica, mr2 spyder, corolla, matrix)

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 08:36 AM

TMH, I am to understand this will be your FIRST m/c? I take if from your line "--ridden dirt bikes quite a lot, and have ridden my friend's Kawasaki Z750S---" as saying not really that familiar with street irons. Then PLEASE allow me to suggest that you get the above fancy bikes out of mind & start with a bike that is ideal for beginners. Do note I am not suggesting you buy a 125cc for dirt & ride it a season or that you buy a 250cc street irons.

Remember the sportbikes are basically street replicas of their road racers so you are looking at bikes with peaky engines, perfection in slipping the clutch is a must, the greatest of care in how the brakes are applied, to know there is a "on pipe" part in the bike where the power-plant simply seems to want to send the bike on like a rocket & often then a new rider will get into trouble as he was not prepared for it.

We have a saying being "not forgiving bikes in handeling or slow speeds" & that is a factor in sportbikes for after all they were designed for EXPERIENCED riders with the clip-ons that force a rider to lean forward, plus the help of the rear footrests being up higher & more to the rear, giving the rider better control in the bends at good paces yet not that easy to apply a foot to the pavement to correct the bike from falling at a next to nil pace. Oh yes in said incident the narrow clip-on bars are not that helpful in keeping the bike upright while wider one piece handlebars would have been the answer.

Oh you will hear of those that claim if you handle the bike properly it will be the best buy ever. Yet many of those are no longer riding as many of them went down with the bike to often & so costly to rebuild.

Remember if you accidently crash a sportbike at around 50 to 70mph, IF the frame is not damaged & same with the forks then the plastics & some other items like signal light, mirror, control lever & a few other things will come clost the 1/2 the price of the bike when new!!!!!

SO allow me to suggest the two 500cc vertical twins by both Suzuki & Kawsaki with regular riding positions, almost bullet proof power-plants that have a lovely mid-range power. These bikes can be riden without any sweat at slow speeds yet when the stop light goes green either bike will be faster off the stop then most cages & can scoot one up to 100mph.

Other good points are enitial costs are lower then sportbikes, insurance is lower & they offer better fuel milage while tyres are not as costly & do not wear off as quicikly as on a sportbike.

Last edited by Smitty; 04-11-2005 at 08:48 AM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm interesting.

Thanks for the info, I'll take that into consideration.

But on a side note, when I mentioned I've ridden my friends Z750S I didn't just mean a little. He's actually quite an experianced rider and gave me tips on what to do in an example situation. For instance, this may sound kinda stupid and simple, but it helped a lot. When he was turning a corner he wanted me to watch exactly how he leaned into it and I tried it but didnt understand till eventually I got the feeling down. Haha he also mentioned about what you said how the drivers out there are psycho.

And that Z750S can GO! Unfortunately I only got to ride it on the highway for a very short time as he followed in a car so I didn't get to "feel" the highway driving so much.

I think I'm more experianced than you think and I respect the road and speed (driving my dad's 2000 540i manual is definitely respected power) and I feel getting a bike above 500cc is something that I can handle as well as would like more. I dont really have the money to buy a 500cc and than later on buy a more powerful bike

After all this, Smitty, since I see you have a valued opinion and respectable, do you still feel I should get a 500cc?

Last edited by TMH213; 04-11-2005 at 12:27 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 12:38 PM

Smitty has very good points, and I would listen to him over me. I too have a lot of dirt bike experience and I think it has helped me considerably on the street. I don't find my bike as having to much power, in fact, I wish it had more. I am use to the front of my dirt bike being (or wanting to) be up all the time. I don't get this on the R6, even at redline speed. If you have as much experience as you say you do, then take the bike out to a parking lot and practice at slow speeds. I think you will be able to handle it ok. Just don't get stupid.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 03:26 PM

How about a.....BMW?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

They seem like great bikes, my dad wants to get the K1200 RS, but for me theyre too expensive.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TMH213
They seem like great bikes, my dad wants to get the K1200 RS, but for me theyre too expensive.
The more I ride my bike (Bandit 600S), the less expensive BMW seems. On one hand, I really enjoy the performance and "quickness" of my bike. On the other, I find myself commuting more and joyriding less, at least for now. My wife also likes to go out riding with me (on her own bike), and she is not crazy about riding really fast. I see more "sport-touring" in my future than "sport", and the long-haul features of a BMW appeal to me more and more.

I am not in a position to drop a few grand for a beemer, which gives me some tome to consider the matter. I wish I could have a stable of different kinds of bikes to take one that appeals to me on a certain day. Too bad life doesn't work that way

Edit: I hope I did not cause too many people to go ROTFL when I put the words "Bandit 600" and "performance" together. The bike still has enough power to scare the crap out of me sometimes and my riding limitations are still not close to the bikes handling abilities. It is fast enough for me, so there

Last edited by veektor; 04-11-2005 at 10:19 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Veektor.

Anyone else have a preferred bike and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode