Pricing questions.... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Pricing questions....

Hi, everybody. I am a college student that will be in the market for a motorcycle, soon. I am new to motorcycles, and I have some questions for those of you that may know more than I concerning what will be feasible considering my financial limitations. I will be buying a bike in about September or early October (gotta get the college paid what they want, first), and by then I should be able to spend 3 or 4 thousand dollars on a bike. I have already counted out about 250 for a helmet, 500-600 for leathers, 75 for gloves, 120 for the motorcycle training course, money for insurance, and I'm thinking a GPS tracker and alarm (400ish). That being said, I have a few questions for those of you that have more experience with this than I.

Is Kelly Blue Book reliable at all? I've looked, and people seem to be asking considerably more for their used bikes than KBB says they're worth. Is it that KBB is just off, that people are trying to high-ball, or what? Would a dealership be talked down in reference to KBB values?

Secondly, I am looking mostly at a Honda F3 or F4. Are these reasonable goals considering what I'm willing to spend? How much could I expect to pay for one of these bikes?

Are there any other bikes in the 500-750cc range that any of you would suggest I look at? I'd like to keep it in that range because while I have good reflexes and am athletic, I don't want
to die on the first trip out. Or wreck my bike and skin myself up. I can neither afford new leathers, new fairings, or a skin graft. If there are any bikes in this category you think would be reasonable goals for me, please let me know what you're thinking!

Have I forgotten any important equipment that you don't see listed? If I have, it may affect how much I can spend on the machine itself.

Thanks a bunches, guys. I hope to get good news from you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 11:57 AM

It sounds like you've got everything well planned out. F3's are excellent starter bikes with plenty of power. As for a price range... I got mine for $4100. That's a pretty high price though, but it only had 5k miles and a lot of mods. You could probably get an F3 with slightly higher mileage for maybe $3-3.5k.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 12:33 PM

You have planned this out very well. My I suggest checking out a Beull Blast. They are very nice lil bikes and damn they get good gas mileage(roughly 70mpg). That's a lot better than the Kawasaki Ninjas or Suzuki GS500F, and just as quick. In the fall, stop by a Buell dealer and you will find great deals on a new Blast. They use them in the motorcycle saftey course then sell'em cheap. Buell's have 2yr warrenties all others got 1 yr(unless you opt to pay for longer coverage).

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Have you ever actually ridden a Blast? I've heard that because of their single-piston 4 stroke design they vibrate a lot and that though the displacement is somewhere close to 500cc, they only get like 40 hp.

And if you have ridden one, what did you think about it? Although I did make it a point that I didn't want to go out and die, I'm not into scooters, either. I appreciate the thought (and it is a decent idea for a first bike), but I want something with some decent kick.

Summary: If you've ridden one, what did you think? If not, that's cool too, and I'll just check it out for myself when the time comes.

Much appreciated, dude.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode