Comfertable bike for the big boys? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Comfertable bike for the big boys?

I had a 02 gixxer 750 that got stolen, and am looking to get another ride in another month or so. My question is, although I loved my suzuki - is the hondas, or yamahas more fit for bigger guys in terms of the lean angle and the comfert of the seat? It would have to be between the r1, 954 or 1000 honda, and the 750.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 05:56 PM

You had one of the most extreme riding postion bikes in you GSXR 750 as I to have had a GSXR-750.

The Honda 929 & 954 are more comfortable riding postions as well the CBR1000. Still they are darn small bikes as most sportbikes are. Unfortunately the Yamaha R1 is again extreme THOUGH the FZ1 is a far more comportable riding position & you still have 1000cc though slightlely detuned to give better mid-range power & a hair lower in gearing. True it has a dual saddle & THAT is liked by the pillion riders as the g/f or wife is not left sitting up in the extreme of the wind & such while the rider is bent over the bike. THIS is a more comfortable riding position for many be they pillion riders or actual solo riders.

Okay so it does not have a full fairing, but that half is darn good.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

So basically the amount of lean will be less on the Honda. How about the seat in terms of thickness and wideness. The zook had a pretty decent seat on it, wide and fairly thick.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 03:29 PM

My Aprilia Mille is great for big guys. I'm 6'1", 225 and it is really comfortable. Check one out.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 05:18 PM

Unfortunately the Honda 929, 954 & 1000 bikes do not have comfortable saddles according to many. They call them planks or boards of something.

Yet to my mind they are the best I have ever had, for a saddle with softness in it is not to my liking. I do NOT put a maze of weight on my butt or the saddle & count on the even weight distribution meaning I make use of the muscles in my legs. I have even been offered custom made seats, but I will go out & ride 5 to 8 hrs 2 to 4 or 5 days of the week. Okay so obviously I am different.

Yet I have a Yamaha YZF600r with a nice soft saddle only after 5 or 6 hrs on that bike the soft saddle is the one draw-back, BUT then that has to do with the postion of the clip-ons, saddle & rear-sets---not the saddle only. Though a harder saddle would be more to my liking.

Still note I have pointed out the Yamaha FZ1 as probably a most interesting bike especially as you are a man with some weight & size for I am only an old sod of 74+ years of age, 5'9.5 " though quite stooped & 20 lbs overweight being 180. Yes I have been riding bikes for past 58 yrs & this will be my 59th.

Last edited by Smitty; 04-11-2005 at 05:21 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 06:09 PM

I'm 6'4" - 6'5", 260 - 270 on an '03 R1.

It's alright, I start to get pissed off after burning up a tank (sometimes 2).

For me, it's all about remembering how to position myself. If I get lazy and stop thinking about it, I pitch my weight too far forward and grip the bars too hard, then it's all screwed. If I remember to keep a soft touch on the bars and grip the tank with my knees, I can go for a long time. (I still wouldn't do any touring, though)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 06:56 PM

I pity anyone who has to ride pillion on a gixxer 750. I rode with someone with a 750 and he had his girlfriend on pillion.. it looked incredibly uncomfortable.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

The R1 gets more interesting as I research it more. I did finally get to sit on one at the dealer and it felt much better than the gsxr or the honda. It felt lighter and just more comfertable. Not having ridden one still has me in a choice game. I like the looks of the Yamaha more provacative lines. The dyno on the gixxer 1000 still beats the R1 though. Also I heard that the undertail exhaust heats your fanny up quite a bit! Is this true?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Corpse
Also I heard that the undertail exhaust heats your fanny up quite a bit! Is this true?
From what I've heard, no. Several of my friends own R1 and one guy has a gixxer 750 that he modified the exhaust so it runs under the seat, and he says it doesn't get hot. His girlfriend also says the seat doesn't get hot, and she's on the pillion seat.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Corpse
The R1 gets more interesting as I research it more. I did finally get to sit on one at the dealer and it felt much better than the gsxr or the honda. It felt lighter and just more comfertable. Not having ridden one still has me in a choice game. I like the looks of the Yamaha more provacative lines. The dyno on the gixxer 1000 still beats the R1 though. Also I heard that the undertail exhaust heats your fanny up quite a bit! Is this true?
About the R1.. If you're on the heavy side, that can be a bonus as far as flickability. Helps in the ability to throw the bike around.
(That's probably as true for the other liters though )

About the undertail.. If you're in a cool climate, I wouldn't worry about it. If you're in a hot climate, or one that's hot for 6 or 8 months out of the year, it'd be something to look at twice, IMO. There's always the times every now and then when you get stuck in traffic, when that happens, I personally wouldn't want an undertail exhaust. Only my
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode