Experienced rider, new to sportbikes - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Experienced rider, new to sportbikes

i am a hardcore dirtbiker. Yet i have only driven a sportbike once and that was my brothers r1 just in a sraight line up and down the street. lets just say i had to pack some new underwear once i felt its power. But i am looking to get a sports bike and can get a great deal on an 04 r6. is that ok for me since i have experience on the dirt?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 01:25 PM

I started off with dirt experience and then bought a 2001 GSXR 750. The dirt gives you all the principles but you have to respect the sportbike more than a dirtbike. Their power is incredible.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 01:47 PM

yes

The best time to buy is most likely to be at the end if the riding season or just before it starts. You should get a good deal now cause dealers are trying to get rid of old stock. By the time it realy warms up it won't matter, everyone is gonna wanna ride, replace there old one or whatever. I just bought my new 04 R6 couple months ago, saved about a grand. 1 mile on it new, just put 600 mile on it last sunday. Riding home sucked, Feb. in 23 degree wheather.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wheelie_steve
I started off with dirt experience and then bought a 2001 GSXR 750. The dirt gives you all the principles but you have to respect the sportbike more than a dirtbike. Their power is incredible.
Hmmm, from my dirt ridin,and dirt track racin...I can't say as a street bike like a gix, or R1 has much in common with how ya ride in the dirt...steering,braking ect is all different...

Anywho..Even if your really good in the dirt...600 is the limit..until you get some Street smarts / experience. Treat like you would just starting out in the dirt, you didn't just jump on a 250 or a 450 right off the bat ...did ya..?

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

o no, ive been on the dirt since i was 4 years old and im 18 now. i understand the respect of a bike. in my view i was thinking the r6 would be an alright bike to start on bc i could handle my bros r1 with out any street experience but i guess i wont know anything about the bikes till i get it on the road with the maniac cars haha
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 05YamahaR1
obut i guess i wont know anything about the bikes till i get it on the road with the maniac cars haha
That was the point I was making...it's a whole different set of rules out there...and it's serious stuff..

Anywho...best of luck to ya...

Ride Safe

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 02:09 PM

NOT that dirtbikes are the same as streetbikes, they both behave differently. But a person who has lots of dirt experience has a general knowledge of how to handle a motorcycle. A great example would be clutch control. I'm sure a person who has experience on a dirtbike would not accidentally rev the bike up to 9000 RPM's and dump the clutch. (by the way) I have seen someone do this before. The end result was a burnout then a 180 followed by a scratch up Ducati 748 with only 23 miles on it. I have concluded that people with some kind of experience on two wheels (even scooters) Is better at riding a streetbike for the first time than someone with no experience on a 2 wheeled machine. I would start with a 600. I would have started with a 600 but got an unbelievably good deal on my 750. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode