Katana for a first bike? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Katana for a first bike?

I'm looking to buy my first bike and I have had a hard time finding anything around my area for a reasonable price (ie. something close to NADA) . I have been looking at FZRs, F2s, F3s, Bandits, Ninja ZX-6s, etc but have not been able to find anything within my price range $1000-$3000. There are a few FZRs that book for 1000-1500 but people want $2500 for them WTF. Anywhoo I finally found a 92 Katana for $1250 obo. He says it's in great condition and runs great. I am thinking I should jump on this one but wanted to check with you guys and see if this is a good bike and if there's anything anything I need to look for when I check it out. Thanks guys....Later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 02:16 PM

Talking I had a Katana once....

I re-entered the world of sportbiking on a 2001 Katana! I had a few years of street experience prior to that and some dirt experience also. If I am not mistaken, the Suzuki Katana, around that time frame, used to be the bike to beat but was on its way to more of a sport touring role!?! I don't see why you couldn't use it as a first bike. Even though a '92 would be lacking in power by todays standard, it is still a bike that could get a newer rider in trouble if he or she wasn't respectful. Good luck with your decision and welcome! Be safe and go ride!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

I will be very respectful of whatever bike I buy. I plan on taking the MSF course before I start riding on the road. I've ridden my buddy's 2002 SV650S briefly and that's all i took to light a fire under my arse. I've wanted a bike for a while, my dad has anywhere between 3 and 5 bikes depending on what month it is just nothing a beginer can ride. Anywhoo I think the Katana might make a decent starter for me. Now if I can just get a hold of the guy selling it........

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 02:47 PM

Talking SV's are nice too.......

Now that is a bike that warms my heart! The MSF course is more than a novel idea! Take advantage of any additional training that you can get! It will pay off in the long run!!!! Trust me!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 02:11 AM

The katana is alot like the sv650, it just has more fairing. if you can handle the sv650, the katana is a fine choice. If you feel its just a little too much, check out a ninja 500 or suzuki GS 500.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 06:18 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Here is a website with suggestions on things to look at when you go to check it out:

http://www.clarity.net/adam/buying-bike.html

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Talking

Well I went and looked at the bike this afternoon and everything looked real good. I gave him a deposit and will be picking it up on Sunday morning For $1250 I got him to throw in the jet kit, an almost new Joe rocket mesh jacket, and a helmet (this'll be my spare). I'm pretty excited about it. I'm gonna do some parking lot practice on sunday and get my Permit on monday. I'll also be taking the MSF course the next time it's offered. I was surprised how clean it was for a 92. The guy took real good care of it and kept it in his living room I'll post some pics when I get it. Thanks for all the help guys......Later
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 02:36 PM

ok

Wait so what did ya end up getting
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

I got the 92 Katana. It's pretty sweet considering it's an older bike. It has a Jardine exhaust on it and sounds pretty mean. I can't wait to start riding it.....Later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode