Have been thinking about getting a sports bike... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Have been thinking about getting a sports bike...

I'm 18 and selling my MR2 and want something different. I will always have a car to drive because my dad is a used car wholesaler. Gas is so exspensive it just seems like it would be nice to have something to putt around the city. Would probably take me a while before I even approached the freeway, and no I'm not having my mommy buy me a brand new bike.

I want something nice to start off with, cheap, reliable, not too fast. Mind you I know almost NOTHING about this stuff, so tell me everything I should know. I plan on taking the MSF course in Mission Viejo also.

What am I looking at for a nice little setup? ( Leather, bike, helmet, maitenance ) My budget is about $4000 cash. I've been looking into the Kawasaki 500r a bit. Maybe a 90's model? Anyone know any good places to go for, for gear and all that good stuff in Southern Orange County?

Last edited by Christoff; 04-05-2005 at 05:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 08:55 PM

Re: Have been thinking about getting a sports bike...

Quote:
Originally posted by Christoff
I'm 18 and selling my MR2 and want something different. I will always have a car to drive because my dad is a used car wholesaler. Gas is so exspensive it just seems like it would be nice to have something to putt around the city. Would probably take me a while before I even approached the freeway, and no I'm not having my mommy buy me a brand new bike.

I want something nice to start off with, cheap, reliable, not too fast. Mind you I know almost NOTHING about this stuff, so tell me everything I should know. I plan on taking the MSF course in Mission Viejo also.

What am I looking at for a nice little setup? ( Leather, bike, helmet, maitenance ) My budget is about $4000 cash. I've been looking into the Kawasaki 500r a bit. Maybe a 90's model? Anyone know any good places to go for, for gear and all that good stuff in Southern Orange County?
quite a different approach from a car to a bike. it's good you want to start the msf course and start with a smaller bike. your already thinking smart. if your budget is about 4,000 you could do a little better than the 500r. especially a 90. try looking in the 600's class there is a lot more options. looking for sportbike?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Definitely a sports bike. The reason I'm selling the car and getting a bike is because I will still have a car, just a random beater or something to get me around. The bike will be for around town and just tiny things, weekend fun. The $4000 includes my equipment too, not just the bike. After doing a tiny bit of research it seemed like the 500r was one of the most ideal starter bikes and that the 600 might be a little too much.

My plan right now is to get a nice starter bike then after a lot of time upgrade to a faster/better one obviously. Thats just my idea though, who knows what will really happen.

Also, for the MSF, can I just jump right into it or do you have to have completed a DMV test or something of the sort? Do you need that to take the MSF test?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 10:04 PM

Being a Cdn I cannot suggest good places to look for bikes. Still the idea of a 500cc vertical twin by Suzy or Kwacker is a darn good move & then later you can step up to a sportbike. Probably a good used one for then you will also know what to look out for in abuse, wear & tear. Along with the ability to ride such a bike due to the 500 you will have riden for a season or so.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 11:02 AM

As far as MSF goes, you don't have to take any preliminary tests to qualify; just sign up and be prepared. I'm in California also and I've signed up for a May 2nd through May 5th course at Mt. San Antonio College. When you sign up, they'll just need to confirm your Class C endorsement (Driver's license). I'd recommend the Kawasaki EX 250; I think it looks much sharper than the 500. Plus, you'll learn alot quicker on the 250, but the 500 is an excellent starter bike also. I guess it's all up to you.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 02:32 PM

I'd look around for a good deal on an older 600. A 97 F3 was my first bike, and she's been good to me so far.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Well I went to the local Kawasaki/Yamaha dealer. Looked around for 15 minutes and the only salesmen that I think were there didn't care or bother to help. Guess they figured I looked like a kid with no money, haha. There is a place in El Toro called Cycle City, might check it out. I think I might just buy it private, but I need to find someone to help me check it out and all.

Also for the MSF I have to wait until the semester is over before I can even take the class :/ because I have class on Thursday nights. So I'm gonna have to wait or find another place.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 05:03 PM

Exclamation Good start......

MSF + Smaller CC bike=Good Start!!!

Be safe and go ride!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 05:08 PM

I think you might be stuck with a 250 from the budget you have.

A used 500 would be the best bet but you have to find one for sale first...

Though the gear is going to run you about 250-300 for a full face helmet, jacket, and gloves, but that's not going to be great riding gear but it should get you by if your riding on a 250. Since you will be riding around town at 40-50 anyways.

I've started on a budget as well, not to long ago. You not going to like getting on the highway on the 250. It gets blown around way to much on windy days and it's running at 9k rpm at highway speeds. The bike can handel it but it doesn't make for a very good ride:-p

Just watch out that you don't down shift one gear to low. The back tire will want to spin out. That and there are a lot of complaints about the suspension as it's 15 years old by now.

Your still sure to have a lot of fun on it;-) trust me.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

I'm pretty set on the 500r. I can probably spend up to $5,000

What do you guys think is a good price for a 2002 or 2005 500r? The 2005's seem to be going for $4,000-4,500, almost seems like you might as well buy a new one?

Last edited by Christoff; 04-06-2005 at 06:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode