250cc sportbikes - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

250cc sportbikes

Sup guys. I'm new to the forum and have recently become interested in sportbikes and would like to some day club race for sport. I've read countless forums about beginner bikes and am going to settle for a 250 to start with. My question is if there are any other 250 sportbikes available besides Kawi's 250 Ninja EX, which in my opinion looks like shit . I've heard (dunno if its true) of honda making a cbr 250 that has a more aggressive seating position and has full fairings and looks similar to cbr 600s and 1000s. If i could get my hands on a bike like that my prayers would be answered. Does anyone have any information about smaller displacement sportbikes that look better than the ex 250 like the one i described and where i could get one? thanks guys.

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 02:41 PM

Not sure what you guys get over there, but yeah, there is a Honda CBR 250RR. We've got genuine Honda imports and lately there's been an influx of other imports.

And here's a picture.... (This one's genuine.)

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 02:52 PM

They are not in North America. Back in '87 they came in with the Yamaha TZR250 which is basically a 250cc road racer though top end was reduced in power with the addition of lights & whatever was needed to be legal.

Very costly as only $500.00 below the Yamaha FZ-750 so they did not sell well.

I had one & they were great though sold it to another chap familiar with the TZR-250.

There were some hot trotting Honda CBR 400cc bikes that looked just like larger bikes & AGAIN they only came in the one year to be just $100.00 below a 750 so did not sell well.

Now the makers feel the buys are in Japan & Europe & NOT North America.

For a first bike allow me to suggest first of all to take the MSF Course then go for a good bike to learn on & since you do not like the 250cc you mentioned then aim at the 500cc vertical twin by Kawasaki or Suzuki.

If you are so gung-ho about a bike with all the fairing plastic (very costly when you drop the bike as that stuff is almost its weight in gold when you have to replace it) look at the Suzy GS500F.

Both bikes offer you a good regular riding position for riding, & so best for a beginner & has been used since before the 20s, lovely mid-range power so it is NOT a peaky engine & again best for a beginner. Yet bike will be faster at the green light then most cages & can probably take you up to 100mph.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 02:55 PM

cookee like I said above such bikes are not avaliable in North America for they are sold in Japan & in Europe which does include the UK.

Even if one was able to sneak one across into the States they would often be waiting months for parts from Jpn., as the distributors do not stock parts for said bikes.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 03:22 PM

I would lean more towards the 500s. The ex250 is a great bike but it does have a few faults. You can slip the back tire when downshiting into to low a gear, and they can be pushed around on the highway on a windy day.

I sliped on the highway real quick on a windy day, when I noticed my bike being pushed sideways as I was going down the highway. Not the greatest feeling to have.

Also you will get tired of the 250s power within the first month, but that doesn't mean they are still fun to ride. They are fun little bikes for putting around town.

The best thing they have going for them are they are cheap, fun, and extreamly confidence inspiring motorcycles.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your replies. I have also thought a lot about vertical twin 500s and i do really like the gs 500. Im most likely going to buy a used one when i get the money. Do any of you have any suggestions on what kind of price range, mileage and year i should be looking for?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
cookee like I said above such bikes are not avaliable in North America for they are sold in Japan & in Europe which does include the UK.
The 250's are huge here, because you're restricted for the first 12 months of your licence.

However, if you've had your cage licence for more than 3 years and pass a course, you can go out and buy whatever you like, which is f*cking scary, hey?

Courses run for 3 - 4 days (full days) and cost about AUD$700.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 09:36 AM

Suttie:
I would think that a 500 would be a good started bike. For that matter an early 90's 600 would do the trick as well. I would think that you could get what you want for $3k-$4k. Any less and the bike will probably have too many problems to fix. You should also be able to sell the bike for about what you paid for it. I wouldnt worry about how many miles the bike has on it, so long as its in good conditions. Anything under 20k miles is probably in good shape.

Dont be scared by dropped bikes. I'm not talking about serious damage, just cosmetic stuff. You WILL DROP YOUR BIKE. dont worry about it. everyone here has dropped bikes, even after many years of riding (my favorite are the guys who get off their bikes and forget to put the stand down)

Expect to spend about 1k on quality gear. Get a quality brand name helmet (it should cost at least $300) you can pick up a jacket and gloves for about $200 as well if you go with textiles.
Good place to start is www.newenough.com their gear is cheap and quality.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode