Is this a good deal? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

Is this a good deal?

1986 kawasaki gbz 600 full fairings, its white and has only been laid down once on right side which left minor scratches about 4x4 inches and grinder the muffler a little, other than that it is completly straight/scratch free and appears to run good. It has a little over 30k miles. After negotiating the guy said he would take $1000 for it, good deal or not? Also this will be the first bike i purchase and i thought that if i purchase it that i should take it to a bike mechanic and have him look over everything, i wouldnt mind spending and additional $300 for anything the mechanic finds for it to be tip-top.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 01:47 PM

IF the owner will allow the mechanic to go over the bike THEN it sounds like a decent buy.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Well, the state i live in (TX) has a law where you have 30 days after the purchase to return the vehicle if something is different about it than what was said. For example of the guy said the brakes work perfect and the frame is straight, and i take it to a mechanic and he says the frame is bent, I could take it back and demand my money back and if he refuses i could take him to court

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 05:27 PM

That probably works with businesses, but in a private sale it may not, so best to check out.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 10:06 PM

1k is too much..

i just picked up a 95 zx6 7000 miles, scratches on muffler and pannel for 1750.00..

500 bux is all the higher i would go..
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm, but thats 750 dollars cheaper, almost half what you paid and i figured it would hold it value more because it was older.. i'v never really seen a 600 this good mechanically for a grand.

Smitty - good idea about the mechanic, ill talk to him... he's seems pretty reasonable so if he doesnt ill know to forget getting this bike. I called our biggest local bike store (woods fun center) and they said they offer a thing where they completly look over the bike for anything wrong for $75 and it takes about an hour. Seems a little steep, but for an hour of a mechanic and the shop's cut, it seems okay especially since its from a reputable store (although that doesnt mean their mechanic is better than another).

Im still open to advice and i agree i could get a newer 600 for 700-1000 more, but it will take me about 2 months to save that.

Last edited by stope; 04-04-2005 at 10:45 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 10:53 PM
Dad

It would seem to be to your advantage as well as the seller's, to take it to a mechanic and have it looked over before hand. It might save you both a lot of grief and maybe you could present it to him that way.

As far as the price, that's always a tough call sight unseen but you don't often get much for a thousand bucks. If it's a good straight bike and is your learner, it doesn't sound bad to me. Good luck.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by stope
Hmmm, but thats 750 dollars cheaper, almost half what you paid and i figured it would hold it value more because it was older.. i'v never really seen a 600 this good mechanically for a grand.

Smitty - good idea about the mechanic, ill talk to him... he's seems pretty reasonable so if he doesnt ill know to forget getting this bike. I called our biggest local bike store (woods fun center) and they said they offer a thing where they completly look over the bike for anything wrong for $75 and it takes about an hour. Seems a little steep, but for an hour of a mechanic and the shop's cut, it seems okay especially since its from a reputable store (although that doesnt mean their mechanic is better than another).

Im still open to advice and i agree i could get a newer 600 for 700-1000 more, but it will take me about 2 months to save that.

Talk to the mechanic and see if he will go with ya after hrs or somethin and look at it.. Just pay him less then what the shop will in his pocket if he is willing..

Totally up to you.. Personally i would save and go newer.. 90-95 yr range..
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

I posted on another forum and they said the gpz 600 is difficult to find parts for and isnt sprung very well, they said that i shouldnt get it unless the guy will sell it for cheaper and like ya'll said take it to a mechanic. Most said go newer and spend the extra money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode