Finally got my bike! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Talking Finally got my bike!

Yep FINALLY! Picked up my first bike last night- 98 Ninja ZX-7R. friend of mine started on it and now wants to upgrade. He let it go for $3500 24k on the odo, add on another $300 for safety gear (Helmet, gloves, and summer jacket). MSF starts APR. 11-13 so until then bike stays parked. I can't wait until class starts, until then I'll just sit on it every hour and keep it warm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

oh yeah, I'll post pics as soon as I cop my new camera.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 04:30 PM

Hey! Great ride! Congratulations and enjoy the bike, fellow ninja rider! The 7 is a real sweet little number.

Enjoy the course and congrats also on the new gear. Wishin' you the best, dude! Have fun!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 06:11 PM

Congrats on the new bike and welcome to the wonderful world of motorcycling Just remember even after your MSF course to ALWAYS RESPECT the power you have available at your right hand!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 01:01 AM

congrats
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 08:47 AM

Re: Finally got my bike!

Quote:
Originally posted by Biggnick
Yep FINALLY! Picked up my first bike last night- 98 Ninja ZX-7R. friend of mine started on it and now wants to upgrade. He let it go for $3500 24k on the odo, add on another $300 for safety gear (Helmet, gloves, and summer jacket). MSF starts APR. 11-13 so until then bike stays parked. I can't wait until class starts, until then I'll just sit on it every hour and keep it warm
Little note IMO:

Too many CCs for a starter sportbike.
Too much money spent on it.
Too many mileage on it.
Not enough budget for gears.

With a bike like that, going slow is not an option.

Anyway, welcome to the sport.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanx for the input guys. About the milage issue: Bike was originally bought by this guy who lived next door to a friend of mine when he lived in Texas. Owner took alot of Iron butt trips. Anyways my friend bought it before he moved to VA for his first bike and rode it for awhile and after a few seasons, bought a new Ninja 9R. Before I bought it my friend went half on a maintenence inspection w/ me, Kawi dealer did an inspection (cost about $70) and informed me that the bike was in pretty good shape, so yeah I bought it. As far as inadequate funds for gear I got my helmet, jacket and gloves for a little over $300. My boy gave me his old boots. What other gear do I need?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Biggnick
...As far as inadequate funds for gear I got my helmet, jacket and gloves for a little over $300. My boy gave me his old boots. What other gear do I need?...
I think it's in reference to the quality of the gear you would have purchased if it only cost you $300.

Yeah, you're covered, but will that coverage cotinue as you're sliding across the road? Understand?

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Z_Fanatic
Little note IMO:

Too many CCs for a starter sportbike.
Too much money spent on it.
Too many mileage on it.
Not enough budget for gears.
It may not be the best starter bike, but he didn't pay too much for it. Kelly Blue Book's suggested retail value is $4655. 24k for a 6 year old bike is only 4k miles a year.. not too bad. As long as it was taken care of.

Anyway, that's a sweet bike man.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 08:15 PM

Life cycle of a bike is basically 20K, as it reads on owner's manual, that's about how much the value it has on the open market, after that, it all depends on how much the customer is willing to pay for it or how much the seller is willing to let it go. That is why bike prices vary greatly, and there's no consistency over the book value, unlike cars. Often newbie lack experience on taking care of bike with high mileage, and they do require a lot more attention, which could be spent more on riding the first few years than fixing up the bike.

My point is that new riders can save that money on buying a newer bike with less ccs and less mileage, and acquiring top quality gears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode