Where to begin... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Question Where to begin...

A little intro to myself. I am a 21 year old male, 5'11" and 220 lbs. I have taken the MSF course (WV calls it MSP) and have obtained my liscense. I currently have no intentions of stunting or going to the track, but to be mearly a pleasure rider. I have rode numerous dirtbikes and have had them till I was 14 and decided to take intrest in ATV's, but I am not so sure dirt bike experience even counts on the road.

Anyhow, I just need to know now where to start. I am deffinately purchasing a used motorcycle and was considering something in the 600cc range and 2001-2003 model year. What models should I focus on, which ones should I avoid?

Also, I have started shopping for my gear, but I am not sure what type of "fit" I need to achieve in jacket, boots, and gloves. What makes them comfortable enough while still providing the needed protection? Perhaps a little information into what I should look for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 06:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to Chris Sedition Send a message via Yahoo to Chris Sedition
if your going for a 2001-2003 600 range, check out Suzuki SV 650's, Yamha 600R, or Honda F4i. Stay away from GSX-600, Yamaha R6, Kawi ZX-6R, Honda CBR6000RR. Those bike are not really entry level street bikes. If you want to go back to like mid-1990's you can look at lot of different 600's as they didn't have quite as much power and torque as the modern one do.

as for gear, it should fit snug like football pants or something. they idea is that when you crash, you dont want the gear to be lose on your skin. if it slips, then grabs again, then slips again while your sliding across the asphalt it can be really bad.

-chR1s sedition

LISTEN TO SLAYER
AIM: chR1s sedition
Yahoo: CSedition

2003 R1 (black / red / hell-fire)

"All black, no bling"
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the information on the proper fit for gear. AS I was browsing the rest of the forum I happened to find Link to another Newbie Post and Chris Sedition's(sp?) post has me seriously questioning my beginning bike. He mention's the Honda f4 as a good beginner, would that include the f4i?

Perhaps another thought, I have access to a V-Star 1100 custom (my father's) that I can ride pretty much whenever I want to. Would I be better off riding it for a month or so and then stepping into something else, such as the f4i?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigz1001

Perhaps another thought, I have access to a V-Star 1100 custom (my father's) that I can ride pretty much whenever I want to. Would I be better off riding it for a month or so and then stepping into something else, such as the f4i?
Well, have you taken that bike out around the block yet? Is your father OK with that idea? That bike will have a lot of power, just not the same insane delivery of it as a supersport literbike. On the V-Star you would have to be really careful at low speed tight turns, as the bike is heavy (I am sure) and it will be less agile. My [newbie] friend just got a Kaw Vulcan 800 Classic, and although it is a fairly docile bike, he managed to drop it at a low speed already. How would your father feel about minor scrapes on his "Custom"?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by veektor
Well, have you taken that bike out around the block yet? Is your father OK with that idea? That bike will have a lot of power, just not the same insane delivery of it as a supersport literbike. On the V-Star you would have to be really careful at low speed tight turns, as the bike is heavy (I am sure) and it will be less agile. My [newbie] friend just got a Kaw Vulcan 800 Classic, and although it is a fairly docile bike, he managed to drop it at a low speed already. How would your father feel about minor scrapes on his "Custom"?
Actually Dad lives about an hour away from me so I have not been able to take a spin yet, just recently took the MSF course and got my liscense. I am sure he would be ok with it, because it was actually his suggestion and he understands the risks involved, and I am sure that he and I will be spending several of the next weekends in open parking lots. The bike is rather heavy compared to anything I am use to (dirt bikes). I guess I am wondering since I have this option available, will it be safer and a better learning experience to me to start out that way?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigz1001
Actually Dad lives about an hour away from me so I have not been able to take a spin yet, just recently took the MSF course and got my liscense. I am sure he would be ok with it, because it was actually his suggestion and he understands the risks involved, and I am sure that he and I will be spending several of the next weekends in open parking lots. The bike is rather heavy compared to anything I am use to (dirt bikes). I guess I am wondering since I have this option available, will it be safer and a better learning experience to me to start out that way?
I suppose having the extra concern for your Dad's bike can be an additional incentive to be more careful. The sooner you start riding, the sooner you will get better. Also, with dirtbike experience, you may be better prepared to balance the bike at low speeds than someone who's starting on the street from bicycle experience at the most. Since your Dad is cool with you riding his scoot, I'd say go for it. BUT...Start looking for your own bike. You will get bored with parking lots very quickly, and you just can't get the traffic experience that way. You WILL want to go riding in the street, and riding alongside with your Dad will be a great experience, much better than doing it on your own. You WILL become more uncomfortable with you Dad's bike, just because you will want to have your own bike to love and care for. DO make a sensible selection for your own scoot because you WILL start pushing it's limits little by little, probably sooner than later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode