Sportbike World banner

Looking for a ride.

736 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Rider4Life 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been riding dirtbikes for 10 years (yea since I was 8) and pocketbikes for about 2 years. Don't ask me why I didn't just get a real bike as compared to a pocketbike. I'm looking for a 1995 or newer bike fairly cheap like around $2000-$2500. I can ride very well and have been 90+ mph on the dirt on my KLX 300R.Don't get me wrong, I've had my share of crashes, including a flip over the handle bars on a downhill, breaking my shoulder. I was so focused on riding I never noticed it was broken. Now it is healed about an inch higher than the other one a has a dull pain every so often. So size isn't really a matter. Anyone know where I could look to find a good bike. I've checked the classifieds here, local ads, cycletrader.com, Ebay. Anybody know of any I missed?

#3 ·
Two thoughts, and I apologize in advance that the first one wasn't requested.

Take the MSF course. Your previous experience does not suffice for the things you'll learn at the MSF classes.

Second, try neighboring community want-ads. I've been watching prices for many models for about 6 months and have noted a sharp drop-off of available used bikes in the past month. I suspect that folks recognize Spring is right around the corner and opt to hold on until then for, hopefully, a higher payout.

My (limited) experience indicates the best time to look is around the Christmas period. People are looking for financial solvency for various reasons, so bikes seem to be at their lowest during this period.

#4 ·
Alright thanks for the help and no need to apologize. I was already planning to take the MSF course. I read about it in other threads and figured it'd be a good idea. I just didn't mention it in my previous posts.

Anyone care to mention upon the second post? Might it be cheaper to buy a wrecked bike and fix it? In riding dirtbikes I've learned to fix my bike on my own. Of course before riding it I'd have it inspected and get a new title and registration for it. As long as I check the frame motor and other various equipment on the bike that could prove hazardous if damaged.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.