Sportbike World banner

Whats up fellas? Newb here, working on the msf, then buying a bike... suggestions?

997 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  seppuku 
#1 ·
Im a 6 foot 4 260 lbs guy that is looking for a bike. I havent ridden much, a few times... so i am learning from fresh. Which bike would you suggest for my first time? Im looking for a crotch rocket... but i dont want to be too cramped. Thanks in advance guys...

Also, 600's seem a bit small, but that may be just me... from what i hear, if i can handle a 600 though, i may as well get a 750. Is that right?

#3 · (Edited)
Most "crotchrockets" as you like to call a sportbike are becomming more compact & lighter all the time to where many other bikes are almost massive in size these days that is when one compares size of others to sportbikes.

Remember a sportbike is a legal street replica of some of their road racers & big to heavy bikes are not the idea of the racing people.

You would be better to aim at the first bike to be in a normal riding position rather then a cramped up sportbike for it will be in a more sensible riding position, easier to handle due to NOT having a peaky engine, & will be more foregiving in handeling though I will agree that handeling any m/c is a bit of a feat when one considers they must balance the bike from start to finishing including traction on the roads & so much more.

FIRST of all you had best line up a time you can take the MSF Course for they will give you a much better idea of how to stay upright & alive when you go to ride a m/c.

You may think you can ride now, but the MSF Course will teach you far more.

#4 ·
I wouldn't pick get a 600 for your first bike, and I would diffently not get one new. So many people dump their first bike. They are not like driving a car and sometimes you have to go against what your mind is telling you to do. Like if you drag your foot peg on the ground you have to give it more gas and keep it leaned on the foot peg and not the other way around which is to roll of the gas and lean off the dragging peg.

Little things like this can cause you to go down.

For a first bike, if you like the sportbike sytle, I would go with the suzi 500gsf or the ninja 500. If you want to save some money go with a 250 ninja. Get it used because there is a good chance your going to drop it. I droped mine under 40 miles when someone at an intersection ran through it and almost hit. I hit the brakes and scuffed the bike up slightly.

If you don't like to be cramped, then a the 500s are good for you as they don't have the agresive riding postion that normal sportbikes have. :)

#9 · (Edited)
Re: meh,

crackheadjunky said:
a 500? wow. isnt that bike going to be too small? im 6 foot 4 not 5 foot 4. I would look oversized to that bike.
They are about the same size just a smaller motor. I'am 6 foot and I have np on a little 250 ninja.

a 500 is not a problem. If you get on a 600 the handle bars are much lower forceing you to lean over the gastank, or sretch out your arms. This riding postion can get annoying after a while.

This reason and the fact that theft cost 1,400 dollars on a 600 is the reasons I'am keeping my 250 when I get a 600.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.