What to do? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

What to do?

is a yamaha r6 a good first bike? i have been riding for about 6 months and i am 5'7 and 135 pounds. i learned to ride on a kawasaki 450. i notice that the r6 is kinda tall for me. my feet barely touch the ground when i stop. also it feels kidna heavy for me. i have already dropped it once. is this a hint that mabey i should take more practice on the 6 before i decide to hit the town up? i was thinking about lowering it so that my feet would touch better. i believe that if i lower the bike it will help my center of balance and i will be able to control the weight better. am i right about this? help me out..and give me a break i'm a newbie. any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 07:07 AM

I'm a newbie myself but my advice would be this;

If your feet barely touch the ground, it feels to heavy, and you've already dropped it ...... then you may need something a tad bit smaller.

Go for the bike you fit not the bike that looks good on you, its much safer that way I think. I'm pretty sure you should be able to plant your feet flat on the ground when you stop. If you can't you have a greater chance at getting in trouble somehow, by either falling on it or not getting the right start especially on a turn from a stop like a red light.

Well that's how I feel, but do what you feel comfortable with but if one of the more experienced people say something different then what I said then take thier advice. They know more then I do right now and I don't think anybody here would give out bad advice.

Of course if you can get the bike lowered to fit your hight then
as long as you can handle the power and know how to ride you should be just fine.

Drive safe and have fun.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 07:23 AM

well.... i havent been riding bikes for a long time either but if youre feet cant flatfoot it or if youre tippytoeing it then most likely its not really safe. heh~ and dont lower it too much! it could mess up suspension and all that crap. i just found myself some 2 inch heel boots (docmartins) which helps me a bit on riding. it grips the ground pretty well. im like 4 inches shorter than you girl. and i agree with ziPPy dude, dont go with the bike that looks good and whatnot. ride safe.

girl bikers! what?!

-jadie

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 08:12 AM

Re: What to do?

Quote:
Originally posted by honda600rrgirl
is a yamaha r6 a good first bike? i have been riding for about 6 months and i am 5'7 and 135 pounds. i learned to ride on a kawasaki 450. i notice that the r6 is kinda tall for me. my feet barely touch the ground when i stop. also it feels kidna heavy for me. i have already dropped it once. is this a hint that mabey i should take more practice on the 6 before i decide to hit the town up? i was thinking about lowering it so that my feet would touch better. i believe that if i lower the bike it will help my center of balance and i will be able to control the weight better. am i right about this? help me out..and give me a break i'm a newbie. any advice would be greatly appreciated.
NO, it isn't! Look at the Kawi 250, 500 or even the ZZR600 (ZX6E) they are much more user friendly for a beginner, and lower seat heights as well. Aside from the seat height, the power band on the R6 is very peaky...it'll seem fine until you hit the powerband by accident...then look out! Definitely not a newbie bike.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

tHaNkS

thanks for the advice. the only problem is that i have already had the bike for like 2 months. i can't get rid of it. i like it a lot. i am going to get the bike lowered so that i can handle it better. i don't have a problem controling the bike now its just that i need it to be lower so that i can have better control of my center of gravity. i will look into the other bikes that you were talking about though. that sounds like a better deal until i learn to control the weight of the r6.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

to xJADiEx

hey gurl thanks for the words of wisdom. i do think that i will try and concentrate on riding something smaller for the time being if i can. i know that it sounds bad but i really like the bike just because it looks nice and when i used to ride passanger it always felt pretty comfortable. my bad..all the experienced riders give the newbie a break. but hey sweetie keep on riding and representing for the female riders!!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 09:55 AM

^_^~

wow.... youre all up on that physics stuff with gravity and all. hehe~~ definitly ask some pro's bout lowering your bike cause doin a good research on that stuff can save you $ and your life. i wouldnt let go of that bike if i were you either. you say youre in SC? im thinkin bout makin a trip down to FL to see some friends on my bike.... perhaps ill stop by SC and we can get a group of chicks out cruisin. thatd be sweet.

oh yeah.... dont ever get caught up with speed. if anybody is like "top it out!" blabal~ dont. chicks seem to give in more easier than guys when it comes to doin wild stuff. i dont understand. hell.... i didnt even top out my damn ninja 250!!! heh~ good luck with riding tho. youre 1 bold chick.

<3
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 10:40 AM

Too-Tall R6

Now that you've already got the bike, the only reasonable thing you could do is keep it and make the best of it. You'd lose a ton of money selling or trading in a used bike that's been laid down once already.

I think lowering it is definitely the way to go. As has already been cautioned here, make sure the job is professionally done by a reputable shop because lowering the bike will alter the suspension geometry. Get it wrong and the bike handles poorly

One other thing that might help is you can have an upholstery shop cut out some of the seat padding, thus shortening the seat height. Not sure if the R6 has a whole lot of padding on that tiny little seat that can be cut out, but it might be something to look into.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 11:08 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
Re: Too-Tall R6

Quote:
Originally posted by zxrider
One other thing that might help is you can have an upholstery shop cut out some of the seat padding, thus shortening the seat height. Not sure if the R6 has a whole lot of padding on that tiny little seat that can be cut out, but it might be something to look into.
try this first.

you need to be comfortable with the bike before you'll ever learn. that's why r6's are dogged for newbies. now what you need to do is get comfortable enough to learn. try not alter the suspension if you can. buy some boots (doc marten-type) to give you some more height as well as some ankle support. you should be able to flat foot it in boots at 5'7.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 12:11 PM

You can definetly fit on a R-6! You deserve it!
My friends gf is shorter then you, what he did was lower the front forks in the triple clamps and take some pre-load out of the rear shock. Granted this will change the attitude of the bike, but unless your a expert rider, you probably won't notice.

Good luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode