need help - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

need help

allrighty..i hate to have to post this and ya'll time with my humble question....allrighty here it is...

i would like to buy my first motorcycle....i want a sportbike
600cc and year doesnt matter as long as it doesnt look too old school.....after viewing several threads and getting aadvice the 600 is right for me.....does any one know if this can be done in the 1500 to 2000 dollar price range? and if so where?

thanks very much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 12:01 AM

i don't know about LA, but not realistic down here (FL). for comparison i got a (pratically mint)97 katana 600 with 13k on it for 2700, but that was such a good deal that a year (and 8k) later, i would'nt have sold it for any less. of course, i did go nuts over a new gixxer and settle for like 2100 trade in. think about that - a DEALER gave me a hundred bux over yer high end for a five year old bike with 21k on it, and that's a katana.

great deals are out there, but dont forget, yer gonna need gear, maybe a shop manual, prolly a rear stand, etc.

for a true sport bike (gsxr, cbr, r6, zx) yer really lookin at like 4g.

go 2 www.cycletrader.com and do a search for yer area.

good luck, i hope you find the "steal" yer lookin 4
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 06:20 AM
Strength and Honor

I doubt it. In that price range, after getting gear (which should be a must, not a if-there's-cash), you'd be looking at an 80's bike, at the youngest, I'm betting. Mine cost me $1k in good condition, for reference.

Nothing in the 90's or newer will be near that range; if I remember right, you'd be looking at $3k minimum. If you really want to know, pick some models from some random years and look them up in either cycletrader or kbb.com and see the retail prices. You'll have a much better perception after that.

And, BTW, thanks for doing some of your own, advance research in the archives.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 10:26 AM

You will need twice the money you have mentioned & MORE to supply yourself with proper riding gear.

Answer is save more money & take the MSF course. Remember most "used" bikes require more money to put them back into proper running order. So be prepared for MORE expenses. Motorcycles & the parts are very costly & you need to keep that in mind. Oh yes we have not mentioned insurance & you are going to be shaken when you find out what it costs due to your age & no proof a prior yrs of riding m/cs.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

yeah i took cost of restoring, insurance and riding gear into consideration,...that is why my budget is onyl 2 large
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

instead of starting a need thread i will put it up over on this one....i have an idea....instead of buying a sportbike right now i will buy me another dirt bike and get back into that...then i can always sell the bike when the time comes for me to get a real bike.how does that sound?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 10:14 AM

this can easily be accomplished. like kanwisch already mentioned, you are looking in the era of 80's bikes. granted there are several differences on price but there is no reason why you can't get a mid 80's 600cc bike for $1500. most bikes in that era aren't worth much more than that. don't expect to get a "pristine" condition bike but it is very possible. Also, though not mentioned in your post regarding gear, you can get a basic leather "biker" style jacket for less than $200, a new HJC helmet for $100 and a pair of boots for under $100. starting off as long as you aren't looking into being "stylish" or having a "pristine" condition machine, it is very fesiable.

for example, check out this bike. its an 1983 Honda Interceptor. its not new, it doesn't look like todays common styling but the price is cheap and its a sportbike. if you look in the right places, you can find good deals for cheap money. especially for starting out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=50003

EDIT: i have an early 80's bike and haven't had to put a dime into it except for gas, oil, tires, and spark plugs. if the bike was cared for properly, it will last a LONG time. and miles shouldn't matter either. just ask DAD.

SQUID=Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, & Imminently Dead

Katie has a nice "spice rack".

If you can read this, thank a teacher....If you're reading this in English, thank a Veteran.

Last edited by monkey; 09-17-2003 at 10:17 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 10:14 AM
Strength and Honor

If that's what you want to do, then do it. Remember, all automotive vehicles (with very few exceptions) DEpreciate, not APpreciate. So, perhaps just saving more might make more sense.

Go with your gut.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

hey guys...i know this might upset all you sportbikers but i found a KTM 250 for sale...it has brand new top end and a load of free gear and parts manuals..etc for 1500 close to home..it is in great shape.....how does it sounds is it a good deal? and how is KTM?

thanks for the answers
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

well ladies and gents.....i could not join the two wheel world once again......even though you support your self in college you must always have to pay the piper i guess its like that through life....i must learn to deal and accept it i suppose...hopefully in the long run holding out on the two wheel world will pay off and one day if im lucky i can own a bike....till then i will admire those who ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode