about to buy 954 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

about to buy 954

Hello all,
I am brand new to sportsbikes and I am contemplating buying an '03 954. I live in Buffalo NY any suggestions on a good dealer to buy from, price to pay, good riding education either practical or books, equipment to purchase and any thing else that might be useful.
I don't ask a lot do I? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Rookie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-18-2003, 07:13 AM

OK, I'll bite and assume you are serious.

How old are you? When you say you are brand new to "sportbikes", does that mean you have ridden cruisers or dirt bikes? Or have no motorcycle experience whatsoever?

If you have never ridden a mc before,
DON'T BUY A 900!!!
NOT EVEN A 600!!!

Good starter bikes:
Suzuki 650SV
Ninja 500
Ninja 250

There are plenty of threads in here that explain why so I am not going to.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-18-2003, 07:52 AM

Yeah, what he said! You'll be scared shitless and that would be with only using about 2% of the bike. Start ALOT smaller. You'll be much happier down the road. Literally.

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-18-2003, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

I am serious, I am 30 years old and have experience on a 125 street bike in england about 9 years ago. I realize that jumping right into the 954 is ill-advised but to be honest i am likely to do it anyway so if there is any advice you could share in regards to driver education courses or books or equipment or anything else that may help it would be greatly appreciated.
Rookie
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-18-2003, 11:53 AM

When you are going to jump off a cliff to your death, I simply will not waste my time to try & talk one out of it.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-18-2003, 12:03 PM

-MSF Course
-Keith Code Books
-Check Honda's website for a price. Knock a few hundred $ off because it is Winter. In the Spring add a few hundred $ because the 954 is a relatively new bike and I am sure Honda is proud of them.
Check the "gear" forum for more detail on gloves, boots, etc.

Please spend ALOT of money on gear. Something tells me you are going to NEED it.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-18-2003, 01:00 PM

Hey Rookie, we all are only trying to help. The 954 is a stupendous machine and is only about 1/2 step from a full race bike. If some one has not ridden any big modern sportbike you can have no clue whatsoever how powerful and BLINDINGLY fast/quick they are. Riding a 125 years ago or even yesterday means nothing in this context. Take the classes and then see about a more user friendly bike to start on assuming you are planning to ride motorcycles for years and aren't just making this the new toy/hobby of the month. These things are so fast that in 4 or 5 seconds you can be way over your head and climbing. We don't like reading about crashes and deaths.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-18-2003, 01:02 PM

One more thing. If you find a salesman that will sell you a 954 without a long talk, let the forum know. Might be fun to find out what shit-for-brains is out there.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-18-2003, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry Kahn
One more thing. If you find a salesman that will sell you a 954 without a long talk, let the forum know. Might be fun to find out what shit-for-brains is out there.

I only have three suggestions....

1. 03' R6
2. 03' 600RR
3. 03' ZX 6R

You'll thank everyone that replied to this post as soon as you jump on a new bike and realize what it is like when you loose it for the first time.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-18-2003, 03:36 PM

Execelent choice, sweet bike.

However, You want a New 03' bike In the beginning of the year.

You will at the very least pay sticker plus tax, title, maybe set up fee.

Get what you want!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode