Lowering a Honda CBR 600f4I - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Lowering a Honda CBR 600f4I

I've been riding for a few years, but haven't logged a lot of miles. I would like to get an entry level sport bike and have been considering an '03 Honda CBR 600 f4i. The only drawback is that the seat height is 31.7". I am 5'7" and would like to lower the bike about an inch. Is this feasible? Will it totally throw off the handling capability of the bike? Additionally, is this an expensive proposition? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
99cobra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 05:55 AM

I'm not sure I would consider that an "entry level bike" but that wasn't the question. I know a Corbin seat lowered my F3 by about 3/4 " so you might consider looking at after-market seats. Corbin makes a really high quality seat, but their customer service is absolutely horrid. I think a poll of 100 people would turn up 99 who feel the same way. Sargent also makes a seat worth looking at.

Good luck.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 06:54 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
At 5'7" you shouldn't need to have the bike lowered at all really. My wife rode an F4 with a seat height of 31.9", but we did have it lowered to about 30" so she could get on the balls of her feet at 5'1". She was fine on it, so I would imagine that you would be too being 6" taller than her. If you do want to lower the bike it will affect the handling in that it decreases ground clearance and you'll scrape metal parts sooner.
When we lowered hers we had it lowered in the front and in the back so as to affect handling minimally. It cost around $600 for it, but we really didn't shop around much. It was hard enough to find a shop to even do it much less be able to comparison shop at all. If I were you I'd go for the aftermarket seat first, if you really even need that. Like I said, at your height you shouldn't have much if any trouble. Most bikes seem to be set up for someone who is about 5'8" or so....to me anyway (I'm 6'2"). Good luck with whatever you decide!

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 09:33 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
just my opinion, but buy a small bike that you can comfortably put your feet down on. learn to ride it. and then you can get a bike of any size you want and will have the ability to handle it easily even on one foot.

i know a guy whose 5'3. he started on a ninja 250 for a year and went to a gsx-r750 that he could only put one foot down on. worked fine for him.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 07:01 PM

I'm 5'4" and 140 pounds wet, and I can just get the balls of my feet on the ground on my 2002 F4i. I was told that making the suspension a little looser will give me another inch and that the handling wouldn't be affected much because I'm a lightweight.

Any cheap alternatives to lowering a bike?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2003, 06:30 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
Originally posted by EL_Fudge
I'm 5'4" and 140 pounds wet, and I can just get the balls of my feet on the ground on my 2002 F4i. I was told that making the suspension a little looser will give me another inch and that the handling wouldn't be affected much because I'm a lightweight.

Any cheap alternatives to lowering a bike?

Ummmm....grow taller?

Seriously, I looked all over for other methods too but was unable to find many other than the suspension work and aftermarket seats. I'd definitely be interested to find more though as I'm sure spicerke's next bike will need work too, and I would really rather not compromise ground clearance if I don't have to.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2003, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by spicersh
Ummmm....grow taller?

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2003, 01:29 PM

Check out the Suzy SV650 as it seems to have a slightly lower saddle or possibly not so wide at the crotch & latter can mean a LOT to a person that is a hair on the short size. You can pay a high cost to have the saddle trimmed down a bit, but the sub-frame of the bike determines the CROTCH width of the bike.
This is ALSO a bit closer to your "--entry level--" then the Honda CB F4I.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2003, 10:36 AM

^^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode