Sportbike World banner

What to do after the MSF???

8K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  centerstand65 
#1 ·
I finished my MSF course today. I got 50 out of 50 on the written test and lost 6 points on the riding part. I didn't look into a turn and touched the line on a slow turn. Not looking was 5 and touching was 1. Now tomorrow, Monday, Dec 30 I will go and take my written test at the DMV. The instructor said that his test was harder than the one at the DMV so I'm hoping for the best.

Now, time to buy a bike. I really want a new liquid silver YZF600r but yamaha hasn't changed the bike for some years so if I got a 2002 or even a 2001 it would be the same exact bike. After i get my license I will go shopping around for a used 600 something??? The local yamaha dealer has a 2001 YZF600r w/ jet kit and pipe and 7,700 miles for $5,995 and it seems like a good deal. I priced it out on nada and the price is just about right, but do I take it. Do I offer them $5,500 for it? Or do I just find a 2002 YZF600r and offer $6,200? Maybe $6,500 for a new 2003 liquid sliver one?

I have $3000 cash on hand but I can spend $6-7,000 on my credit card so the dealer doesn't have to worry about financing. I could pay $500 a month and pay off the rest in 6 months anyway but I don't wanna wait 6 months to have the money to pay cash for a bike.

I'm lost incase you haven't figured it out yet. The MSF course was the first time I have ever rode a bike so I know pretty much nothing about buying a used bike. I don't want to get screwed buying used just to have to put thousands into it a year down the road cause something went wrong that I should have noticed. Someone please help me pick a bike. Here are my options.

1. Buy a new 2002 or 2003 YZF600r? (please give me a target price I should offer the dealer)
2. Buy used (I don't really know whats out ther yet but I know zero about bikes other than MSF)
3. Buy used 2001 black YZF600r w/ jet kit and exhaust for $5,995 (offer $5,000) with 7,700 miles and hope no one dogged the bike previously???

Some one please help me make a choice. I will take my written test to get my license on monday and I would love to have a bike by the weekend. MSF was just too much fun to not have a bike for the next 2 months trying to find a great deal.

See less See more
#2 ·
BTW, the bike will be used mostly to commute to work which is 4 miles of 30 mph and then bumper to bumper traffic for about 1/4 mile which takes about 20 minutes to get through. Then its another 6 miles to work at 30 mph. I will use the weekends to increase my skill and eventually in about 6 months I will be able to ride with other people.

#3 · (Edited)
First of all i want to say congrats on taking the msf course...xcellent choice dude. Next, im glad that you are researching first before you make a mistake and regret it on which bike to get. To be honest with you, i personally would not buy that 2001 yzf600r ...i think it is too much since you can get a brand spanking new one for $7000...and with zero miles. Next, since you are clueless on bikes....and it's your first time riding you should consider buying a used bike since im sure you'll drop it here or there. You can start off with a ( Ninja 500cc, and if you feel very comfortable go ahead with a 600cc, it's alot of power for a newbie but it's your choice. Start off with a 500cc and then move up to a 600cc, so you can handle the power of that mean machine. Do not attempt going with a 1000cc, since they are for the xperience riders. Also, since you have $3000 in cash, you should get a loan from your private bank and try not using your credit card. You also have to think about gear like a helmet, leathers..etc.. Dude, just giving you my 2cents thats all. Good luck on your test.
P.S. Don't get me wrong, the yzf600r are great underrated bikes, but i think they are somewhat heavy for a newbie to start off. Also, im sure when and if you get a yzf600r you will want to get a sportbike like a zx-6r, 6r, gixxer600. The yzf600r are sporttouring and not as nimble and quick as the sportbikes. Nice bike though!

#4 ·
ferracci69 said:
First of all i want to say congrats on taking the msf course...xcellent choice dude. Next, im glad that you are researching first before you make a mistake and regret it on which bike to get. To be honest with you, i personally would not buy that 2001 yzf600r ...i think it is too much since you can get a brand spanking new one for $7000...and with zero miles. Next, since you are clueless on bikes....and it's your first time riding you should consider buying a used bike since im sure you'll drop it here or there. You can start off with a (Ninja 250cc, Ninja 500cc, and if you feel very comfortable go ahead with a 600cc, it's alot of power for a newbie but it's your choice. Start off with a 500cc and then move up to a 600cc, so you can handle the power of that mean machine. Also, since you have $3000 in cash, you should get a loan from your private bank and not use your credit card, since the APR is very high and very risky. You also have to think about gear like a helmet, leathers..etc.. Dude, just giving you my 2cents thats all. :p
Thanks for your comment but this is how I look at it.

When I buy a bike I want to keep it for a year at least if not 2 years. A 500cc bike will not do it for me because I know that 2-3 months down the rode I will want a new bike if I got a 500 or less. I'm 6' and 210lbs. and would like to be riding with other bikers by May-June timeframe. So thats why a 500cc or less won't do. I know I should start small but I also know that I would be tired of it too soon. I would have loved to have the 250cc yamaha dual-purpose bike I used during MSF but one month later I would be like "Uh, I need a faster bike!"

I would love to buy used because I could drop it and say "oh f@ck it, it was scratched all the hell anyway. But at the same time I just don't want to buy a bike just to dump more money into it later down the road cause this or that went bad. I live near a military base so many bike are available but those bike also are dogged to death at the same time. I could of have a salvaged 2001 R6 for $3,500 or less but I passed on it. My neighbor is a bike tech at yamaha and he said the bike was good but I'm looking 2-3,000 miles down the road where that salvaged bike might have some underlying problems.

I was thinking about dealer financing or through a local bank. But I had trouble with financing when I bought my car a year ago. I have excellent credit but I am also co-signed for my wife's car that she makes payments on. Banks just weren't trying to hear that my wife was making that payment and I was free to make my own payment. Thats why I was thinking I should just use my credit card. I can put it all on my credit card and then instantly make a large payment on it. Then I know what I can pay on it per month so I can vary my payments as I wish. Banks just won't understand that. They will just say "Oh, you have two car payments, we can't finance you."

Aside from paying off my bike in 6 months I know I will still have enought money to pay for one piece of safety gear per month. I already have a helmet and I was thinking jacket one month and pants the next. Then maybe gloves or boots the follow months. I don't forsee any reall riding experiences the first few months anyway. Just trips to work and 30 minute joy rides (less than 45-60mph) getting used to my bike on the weekends for the first 2-3 months. Then after that I will try to test my skill and ablilities on more challenging days with other riders. But I don't see this happening anytime soon.

Thanks for the comments but anything less than 600cc's just wont do cause I wanna keep my bike for 1-2 years.

#5 ·
I totally agree with you, that you want nothing less than a 600cc. I started off with a brand new zx-6r and im glad i did cause i know that i would have had the same mentality as you have about starting off. Well, in that case then get a used 600cc, but becareful when purchasing used since most of them are dogged off and they usually say that it was pampered or adult driven...my @@s they are. Most of them are dogged to the limit since that is what they are built for. Also, you said that you will only ride to work and 30min joy ride, believe me that is real riding experience. Don't rush into things and hope you can find a really great bike to start. Just look around for 600cc and im sure you will find someone who is desperately wanting to sell their bike, especially that the 2003 line up models are awesome.

#6 ·
Thanks for the help.

I am looking used but either the dealer is trying to screw you cause your mlitary or you buy from a miltary person who ragged the shi!t out of their 600. I have to travel 50-60 miles just to find some unbaised bikes.

#7 ·
Yeah, im sure they are trying to screw you since they are probably trying to get rid of that bike b/c they are losing money so they can make room for the new models that are arriving. Just be wise and always ask questions when you are doubtful about things...and if you did tell them that you have 3000grand in cash then they are really desperate. P.S. You can get a better bike for that price, believe me.
Good luck in your search, hope i was helpful.
Later, :p

Hey, do you have pics of your beamer?

#8 ·
Welp....far be for me to rain on your parade...but...starting out on a 600 that can get from 0 to 140 mph, in short order, isn't exactly a great idea...yes, even at your weight, that bike has more than enough power to get ya into trouble, pronto...

There have been 100's of post's, from new riders wanting 600's, 750's..ect. Most of us that have been at this awhile, tend to try and persude a new rider to start on a smaller bike, and believe me, there are many reasons for this, and there are a ton of riders that don't understand what all the reasoning is...it's not, just about the power...there's way more to it than that..Do a search..on new riders, and similar topics, there should be a boat load of info. for ya...

Had to post this, otherwise, I'll feel guilty for not posting it...we'd like to see ya hang around for many years...:D

#9 ·
finished my MSF course today. I got 50 out of 50 on the written test and lost 6 points on the riding part. I didn't look into a turn and touched the line on a slow turn. Not looking was 5 and touching was 1. Now tomorrow, Monday, Dec 30 I will go and take my written test at the DMV. The instructor said that his test was harder than the one at the DMV so I'm hoping for the best.

You dont get your license out of the course? You have to go take another test from the DMV to get it?

#10 ·
Way to go on the course.

Don't get new bike. I know it's hard, having a new bike is a great feeling but dropping a new bike is the worst. Everybody (ok 99% of everybody) does at least one dumbass thing to their first bike (eg tip it, scratch it, crash it).

Don't get the latest and greatest bike. Learning to survive on a motorcycle should be all you have to worry about during your first year. Don't bother trying to keep up with riders who have years of experience on you. That's an open invitation to a serious accident. They'll understand if you're a couple minutes behind them......it's not a big deal....REALLY.

Not all used bikes have been trashed. Don't forget they're designed to be used hard, and as long as basic maintenance has been done, they should be good for 50 to 100,000 miles easy. Check out the threads on mileage in this site, you'll be amazed. Getting a bike with 15,000 miles on it shouldn't be a problem. There are tons of people who buy a bike, get scared, keep it for a couple years in the garaged, and then finally sell it (could even happen to you). Expect to put $500 into it when you buy it, and you should be set for a long time. I bought a 88 gsxr 750, put put 500 into it, rode it for 20,000 miles and sold it for $300 less than I put into it.

Personally, if I were you, I'd look for a 600 or 750 standard type bike. I know Kawi makes a 750 that's been around for years. Since alot of smart people use these for starter bikes, they haven't been trashed, and there's always a few around. No fairing means less damage when you crash/tip/whatever.

Use the money you save to buy the FULL GEAR. Face it, the first months are the ones you're most likely to need it. Again, there's lots of used stuff....cheap. Don't get a used helmet.

The money you save in 1 or 2 years should be enough to buy the bike of your dreams. The life you save, could be your own.

#23 ·
Helmet: Used Only Way to Go!

Motorcycle helmets only start getting comfortable at 10,000 miles. I only buy them well worn. There is nothing more fun than receiving a used helmet via eBay. The first thing you'll notice, if it's good, is a smell when you open the box. The smell is a sign that the previous owner was in it a lot. This means you'll want to be in it a lot, too! A really good used helmet should have sweat stained padding. It's sweat that softens the inside, and gives it a natural finish. Sweating for at least 2,000 hours is the only way to completely wash away resins and glues used to make the helmet. By buying a well worn helmet, you don't have to go through that because another guy did it for you. A helmet that another guy's been sweating in is good to go. Just put your head in it. Buckle the straps and you're set!

When you get in another guy's lid for the first time, you'll wonder why you hadn't done it sooner. It will go on like an old shoe. The smell will be natural. You'll feel awesome in a well worn helmet.

#11 ·
Y2K1 6R said:
You dont get your license out of the course? You have to go take another test from the DMV to get it?
Yeah you have to take the written portion at you local DMV. Don't worry, I took mine this morning and it was all of 14 questions. All the questions were pretty simple and all of the were discussed in the MSF course anyway.

14 out of 14 correct for me.

#12 ·
Originally posted by Y2K1 6R

The laws vary from state to state, but I know on no state where the Ridercourse actually issues the license. As an instructor/ridercoach we are "third party testers". As such we conduct the evaluation and issue a completion card. The recipient then takes the card to the DMV (or whatever state entity) and fulfills their requirements for a license. In Tenn. an applicant with an MSF endorsement only has to take a vision test and pay the fees. The skill test and written test are waived. In other states there may be other requirements, such as the written test that oj330i had to take.

The MSF is trying to achieve "reciprosity" so that a completion card is recognized in all states that have waivers. Unfortunately, each state has its own laws. Some even have their own completion cards and/or certificates (Tenn. does). To complicate the issue further, the military has their own system, too. It would be great if there were some consistency, but that would de-power some of the various coordinators in the different states/branches of the military. Fiefdoms would be jeopardized!

:eek:

Even the standard curricula are modified by some states. Ain't politics wonderful :barf:

#13 ·
ferracci69 said:
Hey, do you have pics of your beamer?
Beamers are bikes and Bimmers are cars but you can check here for pics of my car. Hopefully sometime real soon I'll have pics of my bike too.

Thanks for all of you guys help and comments. But I just can not see myself buying anything smaller than a 600cc bike. I know what that means in terms of performance but on the same note I don't wanna get rid of my bike anytime soon. And, if I buy a used 500 something (or less) in 6 months I will be looking for a new bike and I will have thrown my money down the drain. But in my location I think it will be hard to get a good used 600cc bike. Two people in my MSF class had used 750's and both of them said they had to put in work to get it running. And one guy's said his just quit on the highway and he doesn't know whats wrong with it. That type of shit scares me cause I don't know anything about bikes. I need to find a good unbaised source in my local area that can help me buy a used bike. I can't trust the dealers cause they just wanna sell the old bike so they can get new ones in.

Oh well thanks for the help guys.

#14 ·
From what I have read it looks as if you do not want to Listen to the advise of those with m/cing experience. So allow me to suggest you to go at the following two links & read them from top to bottom.
www.adriancrook.com/accident
www.msgroup.org/DISCUSSE.asp
Hope from the above two you will give a bit more thought into a sensible m/c rather then what I feel you have on mind.

#16 · (Edited)
originally posted by vfroger
The laws vary from state to state, but I know on no state where the Ridercourse actually issues the license. As an instructor/ridercoach we are "third party testers". As such we conduct the evaluation and issue a completion card. The recipient then takes the card to the DMV (or whatever state entity) and fulfills their requirements for a license. In Tenn. an applicant with an MSF endorsement only has to take a vision test and pay the fees. The skill test and written test are waived. In other states there may be other requirements, such as the written test that oj330i had to take.

I'm not sure how my parents had to do it, since they both (mom and dad) got their license about 3 years ago in Murfreesboro, TN.

I, on the other hand, live in PA. I got my permit, took the MSF course, passed it, got my little certificate that said I passed and 2/3 weeks later I got a card in the mail to go to the local DMV to have my motorcycle endorcement added to my License, with out a test.

#17 ·
vfroger said:

The MSF is trying to achieve "reciprosity" so that a completion card is recognized in all states that have waivers. Unfortunately, each state has its own laws. Some even have their own completion cards and/or certificates (Tenn. does). To complicate the issue further, the military has their own system, too. It would be great if there were some consistency, but that would de-power some of the various coordinators in the different states/branches of the military. Fiefdoms would be jeopardized!

:eek:

Even the standard curricula are modified by some states. Ain't politics wonderful :barf:
Amen....in Florida, all you have to do is take your MSF card to the DMV and they issue you a new liscense with an edorsment. Granted you are not near renewal, then they do the eye testing.

#18 ·
I'm not gonna sugarcoat this. A YZF600 is too much bike for a beginner. Don't rush into trying to keep up with the experienced riders either. And don't rely on the bike to do that for you. An EX500 is a great beginner bike, but on twisty roads in the hands of an experienced rider it also can keep up with most bikes.

As for your size, I'm 6'4" and weigh 220 lbs, and I did quite well racing an EX500. It's a lot of fun ducking under four-cylinder bikes on the inside. Obviously, the top-of-the-line 600s are faster and handle better, but it comes down to skill.

Kudos on taking the MSF course. You've got a better start than a lot of people. Take it easy, and have fun.

#19 ·
I see your from Texas also:thumb: I'm posting this not to discourage you, but to maybe help you in some way. 8 months ago I took the MSF and int the course, like you, I rode a m/c for the first time EVER! When I got out of the course I was biting at bits to go and buy a brand new Ninja 6R. I had $2000 cash in hand and very capable financially to buy whatever I wanted. After deep though and some reading on these boards I decided to buy used. I looked and found a 82' Yamaha XS650. It is a parallel twin so it has great pull down low and with onlt 4200 original miles it is barely broken in. The point is the bike only cost me $500 and it left me with $1500 for gear.:) :D I plan on riding this for the remainder of this year then looking for a Ducati 748R:eek: :drool: for a weekend ride. Just think in the big picture; besides the most important thing is that your riding. Oh yea ditch the whole worring about keeping up with your buddies. If they are real buddies they will adjust their riding down to your pace, and help you along ...not try and get you over your head. Sorry for the long post..

#20 ·
Well I did get a YZF600R although most of you here advised against it. I got a pretty good deal on it too. It was a '03 model that had 170 miles on it. I got it for a pretty good deal of $5,500. I got to ride it for a while but some sh!t happened on the way home but you can read my other post here to find out about that.

From the time that I did get to ride it seems very docile. It was nothing like I thought it would be. From what everyone says about starting out on a 600 I was expecting neck snapping power but I found other wise. I didn't go over 5k rpm so I don't know what that will be like when I do. But for the first 600 miles its supposed to be under 6k rpm's anyway. That will help me a lot getting used to the bike. But from my limited time on the bike I feel as though I am old and wise enough so I can manage and maintain myself to keep it under control.

#21 ·
You said a mouth full when you said you have not had it above 5000 rpm's. On a inline 4 engine the fun is just beginning. The first time I rode an inline (a friends bike) it seemed very tame below say 6000 rpms. I cracked the throttle open as soon as it hit 6500 bam. The thing wakes up and there is a very noticable kick in the britches. All I am saying is don't fall into a sense of security...you have yet to even scratch the surface of what that machine is capable of, but everything else aside the sudden rush inlines have is the exact reason I chose a twin. It is also the reason I will continue to ride twins. Twins pull pretty much throughout the entire rpm range...no sudden burst. Just smooth sailing;)

#22 ·
oj330i said:
Thanks for all of you guys help and comments. But I just can not see myself buying anything smaller than a 600cc bike. I know what that means in terms of performance but on the same note I don't wanna get rid of my bike anytime soon. And, if I buy a used 500 something (or less) in 6 months I will be looking for a new bike and I will have thrown my money down the drain. But in my location I think it will be hard to get a good used 600cc bike. Two people in my MSF class had used 750's and both of them said they had to put in work to get it running. And one guy's said his just quit on the highway and he doesn't know whats wrong with it. That type of shit scares me cause I don't know anything about bikes. I need to find a good unbaised source in my local area that can help me buy a used bike. I can't trust the dealers cause they just wanna sell the old bike so they can get new ones in.

Oh well thanks for the help guys. [/B]

Congrats on your license!!:thumb:

Just to reitterate some previous suggestions. You stated that you don't want anything smaller than 600cc's. That's fine if you're looking at Katanas or SV's. But in the SuperSport class even a 600 is a VERY debatable bike for a beginner. I 've heard of a few guys starting on 600's, 750's and 1000's. They don't look too good now though after having their faces half eaten by apshalt and the other half by worms. (You kinda see what I mean) You could start on a 500 OR a 600cc+ OUTSIDE of the SS class. To start in the SS as a newby is taking a big risk. The comments members will make aren't a rip on your ability or wisdom. They are made along the lines that EVERYBODY makes small mistakes their 1st year, and the more power you have, the BIGGER those mistakes can cost.

Sorry to get all fatherly on ya. But motorcycling is a lot of fun when you climb the right ladder. And by the way, next year look for a 1 to 2 yr. old 600 or 750 AFTER you've got your first year in. Most of those bikes should have some of the warranty remaining. As another member stated, with the new 600 lineup in `03 there should be plenty to choose from this time next year.

I hope this helped. I wish you the very best in shopping, and all the safety in your riding.

Take Care and be safe :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.