What to do after the MSF??? - Page 3 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-02-2003, 08:26 PM

You said a mouth full when you said you have not had it above 5000 rpm's. On a inline 4 engine the fun is just beginning. The first time I rode an inline (a friends bike) it seemed very tame below say 6000 rpms. I cracked the throttle open as soon as it hit 6500 bam. The thing wakes up and there is a very noticable kick in the britches. All I am saying is don't fall into a sense of security...you have yet to even scratch the surface of what that machine is capable of, but everything else aside the sudden rush inlines have is the exact reason I chose a twin. It is also the reason I will continue to ride twins. Twins pull pretty much throughout the entire rpm range...no sudden burst. Just smooth sailing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-03-2003, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oj330i

Thanks for all of you guys help and comments. But I just can not see myself buying anything smaller than a 600cc bike. I know what that means in terms of performance but on the same note I don't wanna get rid of my bike anytime soon. And, if I buy a used 500 something (or less) in 6 months I will be looking for a new bike and I will have thrown my money down the drain. But in my location I think it will be hard to get a good used 600cc bike. Two people in my MSF class had used 750's and both of them said they had to put in work to get it running. And one guy's said his just quit on the highway and he doesn't know whats wrong with it. That type of shit scares me cause I don't know anything about bikes. I need to find a good unbaised source in my local area that can help me buy a used bike. I can't trust the dealers cause they just wanna sell the old bike so they can get new ones in.

Oh well thanks for the help guys. [/B]

Congrats on your license!!

Just to reitterate some previous suggestions. You stated that you don't want anything smaller than 600cc's. That's fine if you're looking at Katanas or SV's. But in the SuperSport class even a 600 is a VERY debatable bike for a beginner. I 've heard of a few guys starting on 600's, 750's and 1000's. They don't look too good now though after having their faces half eaten by apshalt and the other half by worms. (You kinda see what I mean) You could start on a 500 OR a 600cc+ OUTSIDE of the SS class. To start in the SS as a newby is taking a big risk. The comments members will make aren't a rip on your ability or wisdom. They are made along the lines that EVERYBODY makes small mistakes their 1st year, and the more power you have, the BIGGER those mistakes can cost.

Sorry to get all fatherly on ya. But motorcycling is a lot of fun when you climb the right ladder. And by the way, next year look for a 1 to 2 yr. old 600 or 750 AFTER you've got your first year in. Most of those bikes should have some of the warranty remaining. As another member stated, with the new 600 lineup in `03 there should be plenty to choose from this time next year.

I hope this helped. I wish you the very best in shopping, and all the safety in your riding.

Take Care and be safe
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 11:20 AM

Helmet: Used Only Way to Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgixer View Post
Way to go on the course.

Don't get new bike. I know it's hard, having a new bike is a great feeling but dropping a new bike is the worst. Everybody (ok 99% of everybody) does at least one dumbass thing to their first bike (eg tip it, scratch it, crash it).

Don't get the latest and greatest bike. Learning to survive on a motorcycle should be all you have to worry about during your first year. Don't bother trying to keep up with riders who have years of experience on you. That's an open invitation to a serious accident. They'll understand if you're a couple minutes behind them......it's not a big deal....REALLY.

Not all used bikes have been trashed. Don't forget they're designed to be used hard, and as long as basic maintenance has been done, they should be good for 50 to 100,000 miles easy. Check out the threads on mileage in this site, you'll be amazed. Getting a bike with 15,000 miles on it shouldn't be a problem. There are tons of people who buy a bike, get scared, keep it for a couple years in the garaged, and then finally sell it (could even happen to you). Expect to put $500 into it when you buy it, and you should be set for a long time. I bought a 88 gsxr 750, put put 500 into it, rode it for 20,000 miles and sold it for $300 less than I put into it.

Personally, if I were you, I'd look for a 600 or 750 standard type bike. I know Kawi makes a 750 that's been around for years. Since alot of smart people use these for starter bikes, they haven't been trashed, and there's always a few around. No fairing means less damage when you crash/tip/whatever.

Use the money you save to buy the FULL GEAR. Face it, the first months are the ones you're most likely to need it. Again, there's lots of used stuff....cheap. Don't get a used helmet.

The money you save in 1 or 2 years should be enough to buy the bike of your dreams. The life you save, could be your own.
Motorcycle helmets only start getting comfortable at 10,000 miles. I only buy them well worn. There is nothing more fun than receiving a used helmet via eBay. The first thing you'll notice, if it's good, is a smell when you open the box. The smell is a sign that the previous owner was in it a lot. This means you'll want to be in it a lot, too! A really good used helmet should have sweat stained padding. It's sweat that softens the inside, and gives it a natural finish. Sweating for at least 2,000 hours is the only way to completely wash away resins and glues used to make the helmet. By buying a well worn helmet, you don't have to go through that because another guy did it for you. A helmet that another guy's been sweating in is good to go. Just put your head in it. Buckle the straps and you're set!

When you get in another guy's lid for the first time, you'll wonder why you hadn't done it sooner. It will go on like an old shoe. The smell will be natural. You'll feel awesome in a well worn helmet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode