What to do after the MSF??? - Page 2 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Y2K1 6R
You dont get your license out of the course? You have to go take another test from the DMV to get it?
Yeah you have to take the written portion at you local DMV. Don't worry, I took mine this morning and it was all of 14 questions. All the questions were pretty simple and all of the were discussed in the MSF course anyway.

14 out of 14 correct for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by Y2K1 6R
You dont get your license out of the course? You have to go take another test from the DMV to get it?

The laws vary from state to state, but I know on no state where the Ridercourse actually issues the license. As an instructor/ridercoach we are "third party testers". As such we conduct the evaluation and issue a completion card. The recipient then takes the card to the DMV (or whatever state entity) and fulfills their requirements for a license. In Tenn. an applicant with an MSF endorsement only has to take a vision test and pay the fees. The skill test and written test are waived. In other states there may be other requirements, such as the written test that oj330i had to take.

The MSF is trying to achieve "reciprosity" so that a completion card is recognized in all states that have waivers. Unfortunately, each state has its own laws. Some even have their own completion cards and/or certificates (Tenn. does). To complicate the issue further, the military has their own system, too. It would be great if there were some consistency, but that would de-power some of the various coordinators in the different states/branches of the military. Fiefdoms would be jeopardized!

Even the standard curricula are modified by some states. Ain't politics wonderful
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by ferracci69
Hey, do you have pics of your beamer?
Beamers are bikes and Bimmers are cars but you can check here for pics of my car. Hopefully sometime real soon I'll have pics of my bike too.

Thanks for all of you guys help and comments. But I just can not see myself buying anything smaller than a 600cc bike. I know what that means in terms of performance but on the same note I don't wanna get rid of my bike anytime soon. And, if I buy a used 500 something (or less) in 6 months I will be looking for a new bike and I will have thrown my money down the drain. But in my location I think it will be hard to get a good used 600cc bike. Two people in my MSF class had used 750's and both of them said they had to put in work to get it running. And one guy's said his just quit on the highway and he doesn't know whats wrong with it. That type of shit scares me cause I don't know anything about bikes. I need to find a good unbaised source in my local area that can help me buy a used bike. I can't trust the dealers cause they just wanna sell the old bike so they can get new ones in.

Oh well thanks for the help guys.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 06:36 PM

From what I have read it looks as if you do not want to Listen to the advise of those with m/cing experience. So allow me to suggest you to go at the following two links & read them from top to bottom.
www.adriancrook.com/accident
www.msgroup.org/DISCUSSE.asp
Hope from the above two you will give a bit more thought into a sensible m/c rather then what I feel you have on mind.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 06:40 PM

My apology as I must have missed on the last one so here is a copy/paste.
http://www.msgroup.org/DISCUSS.asp
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 08:13 PM

Quote:
originally posted by vfroger
The laws vary from state to state, but I know on no state where the Ridercourse actually issues the license. As an instructor/ridercoach we are "third party testers". As such we conduct the evaluation and issue a completion card. The recipient then takes the card to the DMV (or whatever state entity) and fulfills their requirements for a license. In Tenn. an applicant with an MSF endorsement only has to take a vision test and pay the fees. The skill test and written test are waived. In other states there may be other requirements, such as the written test that oj330i had to take.

I'm not sure how my parents had to do it, since they both (mom and dad) got their license about 3 years ago in Murfreesboro, TN.

I, on the other hand, live in PA. I got my permit, took the MSF course, passed it, got my little certificate that said I passed and 2/3 weeks later I got a card in the mail to go to the local DMV to have my motorcycle endorcement added to my License, with out a test.

Last edited by Y2K1 6R; 12-30-2002 at 08:17 PM.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vfroger

The MSF is trying to achieve "reciprosity" so that a completion card is recognized in all states that have waivers. Unfortunately, each state has its own laws. Some even have their own completion cards and/or certificates (Tenn. does). To complicate the issue further, the military has their own system, too. It would be great if there were some consistency, but that would de-power some of the various coordinators in the different states/branches of the military. Fiefdoms would be jeopardized!

Even the standard curricula are modified by some states. Ain't politics wonderful
Amen....in Florida, all you have to do is take your MSF card to the DMV and they issue you a new liscense with an edorsment. Granted you are not near renewal, then they do the eye testing.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 10:05 PM

I'm not gonna sugarcoat this. A YZF600 is too much bike for a beginner. Don't rush into trying to keep up with the experienced riders either. And don't rely on the bike to do that for you. An EX500 is a great beginner bike, but on twisty roads in the hands of an experienced rider it also can keep up with most bikes.

As for your size, I'm 6'4" and weigh 220 lbs, and I did quite well racing an EX500. It's a lot of fun ducking under four-cylinder bikes on the inside. Obviously, the top-of-the-line 600s are faster and handle better, but it comes down to skill.

Kudos on taking the MSF course. You've got a better start than a lot of people. Take it easy, and have fun.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 10:20 PM

I see your from Texas also I'm posting this not to discourage you, but to maybe help you in some way. 8 months ago I took the MSF and int the course, like you, I rode a m/c for the first time EVER! When I got out of the course I was biting at bits to go and buy a brand new Ninja 6R. I had $2000 cash in hand and very capable financially to buy whatever I wanted. After deep though and some reading on these boards I decided to buy used. I looked and found a 82' Yamaha XS650. It is a parallel twin so it has great pull down low and with onlt 4200 original miles it is barely broken in. The point is the bike only cost me $500 and it left me with $1500 for gear. I plan on riding this for the remainder of this year then looking for a Ducati 748R for a weekend ride. Just think in the big picture; besides the most important thing is that your riding. Oh yea ditch the whole worring about keeping up with your buddies. If they are real buddies they will adjust their riding down to your pace, and help you along ...not try and get you over your head. Sorry for the long post..
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2003, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

Well I did get a YZF600R although most of you here advised against it. I got a pretty good deal on it too. It was a '03 model that had 170 miles on it. I got it for a pretty good deal of $5,500. I got to ride it for a while but some sh!t happened on the way home but you can read my other post here to find out about that.

From the time that I did get to ride it seems very docile. It was nothing like I thought it would be. From what everyone says about starting out on a 600 I was expecting neck snapping power but I found other wise. I didn't go over 5k rpm so I don't know what that will be like when I do. But for the first 600 miles its supposed to be under 6k rpm's anyway. That will help me a lot getting used to the bike. But from my limited time on the bike I feel as though I am old and wise enough so I can manage and maintain myself to keep it under control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode