Honda 919 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Honda 919

Always loving the look of the Ducati Monster, I instantly liked the Honda 919. I think it might be a little above my budget, but it's what I'm hoping to get for my first bike now. The 900cc engine is a bit intimidating but from what I've read, it's not overly powerful.

I've read a lot reviews for the bike and the lack of a clock is always mentioned... I'm not particularly interested in a clock, let alone making it an issue when buying a bike. Also, the lack of a windscreen is always brought up, and this very well could be an issue. Fortunately most of the riding I will do will be in the city, not 85mph interstate drives. But eventually if necessary I could probably find an aftermarket windscreen. I prefer the look of the bike without the windscreen and I will be in the city most of the time so this isn't an issue for me.

Does anyone have any experience with the Honda 919? I know it's only been around for 2 years but I figured I'd ask. The European version is the Hornet,which has been around for a while in 600cc variant, so does anyone have any experience with either? I'm pretty well setting my sights on this bike, I really love the appearance.

Carl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-20-2002, 01:14 PM

Thumbs down

Hey Man,

A 900 cc bike is gonna be big handful for a new rider. You didn't say if you had any experience with dirt bikes or anything, but you would be MUCH better off getting a used middle weight for first bike. I'd suggest an early '90's cbr600 at the most.

Take the MSF course and start a little smaller and work your way up to a 900. I've ridden everything from trail 90s to GSX1100's and they're all FUN. Don't think you have to start off with something that big because it won't be fast or fun.

Get some good riding gear (esp. helmet) and wear it always.

Just my .02.

Later,
Eric
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 09:20 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
the 919 is based somewhat on the cbr900rr from around 1998 or so. there was a local kid around here who bought one. he had the whole "it'll only go as fast as you want it to-" attitude.

it turns out that it'll not true. when taking off from a stop light, with a big pull of the throttle, it started to wheelie. not being familair with bikes, he didn't let go, and with the wheel climbing he froze.

total damage:
1 broken arm
1 totalled 900rr

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 01:04 PM

I've spent some time on a buddy's 919. Here's my thoughts on it:

1. No windscreen sucks. When you're droning down a freeway it fuggin sucks trying to hang on the thing. It's great around town, but a ride of any length gets tiring fast!

2. It's a freakin wheelie machine . Just a little bit of throttle gets the front wheel in the air in a hurry.

3. It's a blast in the twisty stuff. My knock here is that the pegs drag really easily.

4. Who gives a crap about no clock? If you can't afford a Timex, then you shouldn't be looking at a new bike.

5. Not at all for a newb. This bike kicks ass and is a great hooligan machine.

Get a season or two on a smaller, used bike before jumping on this thing.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 04:11 PM

Must agree with all the others. The MSF course is a MUST before one even considers any form of m/c. That bike is NOT for a newbie. It is loaded with power that comes on like an uncontrollable rocket. Look around for a bike that is much lower in engine size & has its torque at the lower revs so the bike can be properly controlled in the lst year or two of riding.
The clock on my 929 drives me up & own the wall trying to set it.
Even in town at normal paces a windscreen can make a big difference to one's comfort in riding.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2002, 09:46 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
Quote:
Originally posted by kvpZX9R
4. Who gives a crap about no clock? If you can't afford a Timex, then you shouldn't be looking at a new bike.
i forgot my bike even has a clock (i never use it). magazines whine about everything. as soon as the gold wing gets some cup holders, it'll be the next dig against all bikes.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode