Yet another, What bike? thread - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Yet another, What bike? thread

Heya everyone.

I've been frequenting motorcycle forumns for a few weeks but this will be my first post. I've done quite a bit of research but the more I learn the more I realize I don't know that much at all. I've been interested in bikes for years but my mom had a motorcycle accident in college and until now has forbidden it. She still doesn't want me to but is grudgingly allowing it.

First off, I'm 18 senior in highschool 5'9 160 pounds. I have fairly normal proportions so I figure I will fit most bikes fairly well (hopefully =P). My bike experience is VERY limited, I have 8-12 hours on a '78 CB350 Four. This was all self taught hours and I was too scared to do much. My budget is probably the most deciding factor. I'm looking to spend about $2000-2300 on the bike and $700 or so on gear. Also insurance is a concern since I only make $300-400 a month.

Right now I'm thinking Ninja 500, 250, CBR 600 F2, 600 Katana, YZF, or an SV650. I'm worried that a 250 won't make enough power especially down low. Any idea of other bikes that would be good, or preferences of the aboves? I will be taking the MSF course before buying a bike so that should give me some idea about the power of a 250. How similar is a Ninja 250 to a rebel or whatever they use in the MSF course?

Thanks in advance for any help. Great community here, learned a lot so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2002, 07:34 PM

Sounds like you're approaching the problem rationally; that's an excellent start. In your price range, the most promising candidates are the 250 and 500 Ninjas and the Suzuki GS500E. A decent Honda 600F2 will cost you close to $3000, and that would be an older one ('91-'92). A YZF will be at least $3000. You might find a good 600 Katana for $2300, but it would be a mid-'90s example. SV650s are well over $3000.

Older bikes sold cheap often require work, so if you're inclined to go for, say, an older YZF that just sneaks under your $2300 limit, plan an spending a few hundred to get it into shape. Tires alone will cost $250 mounted.

A 250 Ninja will run the 1/4-mile in [email protected] (Motorcyclist, 11/89), much faster than a 250 Rebel ([email protected], Motorcycle Consumer News, 5/96). The Ninja's time may not seem very good compared to a 9-second Busa, but it's still faster than most cars. If you're not planning on a lot of high-speed freeway droning, it's an excellent choice.

Many amateur roadracers swear by the 250 Ninja for its handling. It's a great motorcycle on which to learn how to ride well. Far too many sportbike riders think "sport" means blasting down straights and tiptoeing around the turns. On a small, responsive bike like the 250 Ninja, you can develop cornering skills you might not acquire on a larger bike.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2002, 03:11 PM

Hello Malhavok,
Welcome to the forum. First thing to do is get the MSF out
of the way. Learn all you can in it. I have the YZF 600R.
It's been a great bike for me. I don't know if you will be
able to find one in your price range unless it's a little
banged up. They have very strong engines and good mid
range power with pep and will run when you give it to her.
When I took my MSF I used a Honda Nighthawk 250cc. It's
a small bike, so it was easy to do all the low speed praticals
for the course. Just remember the higer cc you get and
the more sporty the bike is will equal a higher insurance
premium on what ever you decide to buy. I think you'll get
board with the 250cc in a short time. I'd go with a older
model early to mid 90's 600cc then work your way up from
there.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 07:15 PM

Try this thread on a different forum. I know there is plenty of info here, but this was handy...

Ditto on the MSF course - that should be your first priority for now...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys!

DataDan- Thanks for qmile times. Thats pretty much identical to my car (91 Eclipse GSX w/ free-mods). So I know what that kind of speed feels like, in a torque 4 banger atleast. Of course it probably feels totally different in a 300 pound 18 ft/lb torque bike than a 3,200 pound 200 ft/lb cage =).

Skeeter- Yah, I'm worried I'll become bored with a 250 quickly. How much do you think insurance will cost? Will my driving record have anything to do with it, or is it completely independent? Am i likely to get much of a deal using the same carrier for both car and motorcycle insurance?

Should I wait a few months longer and go for the CBR F2 or SV650? Or should I try and find a 250 thats been dropped ride it around until I get some experience under my belt and then sell it and move up to an older 600? Thanks again guys!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 12:13 AM

Lots of good advice above. I'll add:
Sign up early for the MSF course. They sometimes have a long waiting list. Plus, that will tell you more about your level of interest in riding.

Call around for insurance quotes for 2 - 3 bikes (year, make, model) you are considering. Include your current agent for sure. There are lots of local variables, so it pays to be armed with information particular to your situation. Usually, displacement is the biggest driver (bigger = more$). Your driving record also matters especially on bigger bikes.

A good used 250 or 500 won't depreciate much in 6 months. You could then sell it for not much less than you paid and "move up". The season will have a lot more bearing on prices in CA (high in summer, low in winter). Good luck!!

Last edited by RayO; 12-22-2002 at 12:16 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 03:57 PM

Malhavok,

I agree with you. I still think you would get board with a 250cc
in a few months; however, if a 250cc will suit your needs for
a while then go for it. You can always move up to a 600cc
after you take the MSF and gain experience over the months.

As for the cost of insurance. Well, your an 18y/o male. Even
if you have a good driving record of the last 2 years it won't
be cheap. 18y/o male= very very high premiums. Here's
what I did. I went on line to get quotes from all those so
called big providers such as AIG, Geico, Progressive and some
others. I just wanted to see what they had to offer. Well,
when the quotes came in I fell out of my computer chair
I knew it would be high, but some of those rip off artists wanted
over 2,000 dollars for me. I'm 40 with no claims in over 12
years. I couldn't stop laughing at those quotes. Then I went
to State Farm. I have State Farm insurance for my '97 F-150
and as my homeowners policy. I've been with them since I
was 16 (under parents policy) and on my own since I turned

Here is what State Farm quoted me before I had taken
the MSF Course.

Full Coverage premium per month- 27.90
Just Liabillity Coverage per month- 16.23

So, as you can see I think it does help a whole lot to go with
the company you have covering your automobile and home.
I don't think State Farm will write a motorcycle only policy
without having a existing policy of some kind. Plus State Farm
goes by the CC of the bike and not the make of it. At least
they did for me. Also, my quotes were before I took my MSF
Course and they have dropped about 5%. Hey every little
bit helps. Well, I hope this helps you out some, but for someone
your age it's gonna be costly. I was there one time and I know
what it was like. Good Luck Dude
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2003, 02:50 PM

Insurance

As for insurance, I just got a quote from my dad's insurance agency. I'm 16 with no experience and I don't even have my drivers liscence yet and it was $535 a year for full coverage for a 600cc bike. Hope that helps.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 03:19 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
call your insurance company, rates vary a lot.

over the course of the past 11 years of street riding, my rates have varied from under $250/yr full coverage to over $1000 for full coverage and about 600 for liability.

having on your car policy is the way to go, but not all companies will do that. but i would check with them first.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode