Sportbike World banner

Ducati Monster 750 vs. Suzuki sv650

13K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  RayO 
#1 ·
I've never ridden before, but am looking to get into riding and get my first bike soon. I'm not planning on killing myself so I'm looking at smaller bikes first. I'm drawn to the style of the Ducati Monster, the Suzuki gs500/sv650, and also some of the japanese supersport bikes (my ideal bike would be the Ducati 998 or 999).
My question is, does anyone have experience with Ducatis and what would be best for me for my first bike? I'm looking to keep the same bike for 2-3 years, so I don't want something completely under achieving in power, but I also am not looking at a Hayabusa or anything.
I've been looking at a 93 Ducati 900ss, a 99 Ducati Monster 750, a 92 Suzuki gs500, and a 2000 Suzuki sv650. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm a bit worried about maintenance costs with the Ducatis and also a lack of power with the Suzukis, any help will be appreciated.
I'm 6'0 165 lbs. in college, looking for a bike that will be comfortable to commute around the city in, as well as 60-75 mile trips back home.

#2 · (Edited)
i won't talk about the older ducati 900's. beautiful bike, but not for you just yet. ducatis are too expensive to crash, especially with a lot of bodywork. for bike #2, a 900ss (especially before the new bodywork) would be a great choice. not yet.

as far as the gs500/sv650/monster 750, here's my preferences (assuming a 2-3 year run with the bike).

3) gs500. a great learning tool. and if you're gonna keep your first bike a year, this is the one. it'll have the best learning curve because it's the easiest bike to get on and ride. they've been around forever and parts are everywhere. they are bullet-proof and have a lot of style.

the down side is they have been around a million years and don't excite me as much as the other two. they aren't really worth it to do anything to them and there's too many fun ideas for modifying the gs. even though it made 3rd, i would still consider it a great choice.

2.5) ex500. read about the gs500, add horsepower and a newbie friendly, yet mildly annoying positive neutral finder and you have the ex500.

2) monster 750. i'm in a pro-ducati mood today. that and the 2-3 year ownership plan says "keep the duck at 2." it's the worst choice on your list in so many ways. it's cool factor puts it in the second spot. if you think you'll keep it a year, forget the duck.

1) sv650. kicks the crap out of the duck in everyway. the newbie bike that experienced riders crave. i'm going into my 11th year street riding when the weather breaks (7th or 8th on sportbikes). i currently have a gsx-r750 and i want an sv650. it's the best value on the market. there are so many things written about it, i don't need to say much more. my preference is the non-s model. it's more upright position is easier to learn on, i like the way it looks without the half fairing and you can get clip-ons for it.

one thing to remember is the less bodywork the better (it's expensive). also, none of these bikes are pure sportbikes by today's standards. they're more do-it-all bikes. any of them can be used to learn on, taken to a track day, then to work and then on a 300 mile trip to nowhere. they'll give you a great view of what you like in street riding (be it touring, cruising, corner carving, etc.).

#3 ·
Hey Tony, thanks a lot. That's basically what I've heard from a lot of people, to avoid the Ducatis. But they look so damn nice... Anyway, i've been looking more toward the sv650, like you said, the non s-model. I really like the more naked look of the bike. Anyone else echo Tony's opinion?

Carl

#4 ·
Tony has handed out some good tips. One thing not mentioned is that the Duke's require a great deal of servicing which is a problem & additional cost to somone new to m/cing ESPECIALLY if it is a few yrs old when purchased.
True the SV-650 is a real 'fun bike' to have popped up since sportbikes started to become popular in the early 90s. Still if the cost is above some proper protective gear AND the bike I would go down one step to one of the 500s --------- many a rider on this & other m/c sites learned on not such powerful/fancy machines. Still any bike you or Tony mentioned will honk faster then most cars when the green light goes on & one is not craning them wide open plus the bikes can cruise above MAX speed limit all day long.

#5 · (Edited)
Smitty said:
Tony has handed out some good tips. One thing not mentioned is that the Duke's require a great deal of servicing which is a problem & additional cost to somone new to m/cing ESPECIALLY if it is a few yrs old when purchased.
True the SV-650 is a real 'fun bike' to have popped up since sportbikes started to become popular in the early 90s. Still if the cost is above some proper protective gear AND the bike I would go down one step to one of the 500s --------- many a rider on this & other m/c sites learned on not such powerful/fancy machines. Still any bike you or Tony mentioned will honk faster then most cars when the green light goes on & one is not craning them wide open plus the bikes can cruise above MAX speed limit all day long.
carl, that's what we're here for. i think 99% of the people that you'll run into want to see you riding for a life-time.

i wanted to avoid talking about ducati maintenance, because a lot of dealers sell inexpensive maintenance plans. a good idea if you plan to buy one. but like smitty said, they ain't cheap. i've heard of 2-valve value maintenance for like $300+. it's around 100 for a japanese bike. and japanese intervals can be over 4 times as long. most are more than double.

#6 ·
Hey, like I've said previously, I'm seriously looking into the Suzuki sv650, or perhaps the gs500 (depending on my budget), and have basically given up on the Ducati dream...for now. But now I've come across two bikes that I had previously not noticed, the Yamaha FZS 600 Fazer, and the Honda Hornet CB600.

Does anyone have any idea how these bikes compare?

#7 ·
cg2k6 said:
Hey, like I've said previously, I'm seriously looking into the Suzuki sv650, or perhaps the gs500 (depending on my budget), and have basically given up on the Ducati dream...for now. But now I've come across two bikes that I had previously not noticed, the Yamaha FZS 600 Fazer, and the Honda Hornet CB600.

Does anyone have any idea how these bikes compare?
i think they are both overseas bikes. i don't know much about the fazer, but the hornet is basically a cbr600 without the bodywork. not ideal.

#8 ·
cg2k6 said:
Anyone else echo Tony's opinion?
Carl [/B]
I have to second (or third) Tony's opinion about the SV for
the type of riding you will be doing, as well. And it will be a
good, easy bike to learn on....not to mention....fun! :D

#9 ·
If one goggles the Brit colourful & flashing m/c mags they can fall into the belief that what is avaliable over in the UK are avaliable here in North America. Answer is to stick with FACTS & FIGURES from American m/c mags.
Also stay clear of some of the fancy Japanese bike that are ONLY sold in Japan & some parts of Europe, but not North America.
Though I was brought up on Harley-Davidson & Indian along with British irons plus some bikes from the Continent of Europe my bikes since '97 have been Japanese & this was money well spent.

#10 ·
I'll also second (third?) the motion for an SV650. Great bargain, loads of fun, easy to ride/learn, tons of aftermarket parts, and lots of dedicated web sites. Only potential problem is the wind blast on the naked version above about 50 mph. I hated it and added a 1/4 fairing. There are several available if you need one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.