Let's talk about the C-Word--Crashing - Page 2 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 139 (permalink) Old 01-14-2003, 04:18 PM

this last October. me and my '02 ZX-6R. i'm in heavy traffic and we have to stop suddenly. i almost stop and someone smashes into the back of me. i hung on to the bike with almost all my strength but i went out of control, hit one vehicle and 2 more parked ones before i went down. the person that hit me drove away and no one got the plate.

lesson learned: i didn't learn anything. there was nothing i could have done except not be there. couldn't see the person coming because it was right after a turn in a downtown area, and even if i did, the only option would be to get off the bike and run.

i think these accidents are worse than the ones where you do something wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 09:12 AM

July 2001 I was riding up near Vegas. It was a 2 lane highway, with a gentle curve in it. I leaned the bike over to take the turn, and the bike just kept going straight. Turned out that the plug in my rear tire had failed, and my rear tire went flat. I went straight off the curve at 70 MPH. Numerous fractures and sprains and considerable road rash (I was wearing Khakis).

The lesson: DO NOT PLUG YOUR TIRES!!! My tire was plugged with a patch plug, which is supposed to be the best kind of plug. Even that failed. I tried to save 150 bucks by not buying a new tire, and just plugging the one I had. It ended up costing me several thousand to get the bike back on the road after the crash (and it still looks like shit!).
post #13 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 09:28 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Well when I totaled my XX it was another case of the driver of the other car not seeing me. Even though we were heading right at each other and I had my brights on (daytime riding). He just turned in front of me to get onto a side road and I t-boned him at about 15mph. I guess the lesson learned from that one is to never assume that anyone else sees you while riding. Not much you can really do about it other than make yourself aware that someone might turn in front of you, change lanes, etc. without any warning and you need to be ready for it.

This one isn't a crash, but it was close. The lesson is to know the road you are on before you ride very hard on it. There is a nice little twisty road on the way to work and I was coming in (a few minutes late as usual) so I was pushing it a little hard. I forgot about a little 90 degree off camber turn in the middle of this little stretch and almost lost it because I was going too fast for it. I would say not only know the road you are on, but before you make a hard run on it take it slow once or twice to check the condition of it too. You never know where loose gravel has popped up or if someone's cage belched out a puddle of oil in the middle of your favorite turn.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

post #14 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 07:04 PM

Well, no one has mentioned this and since this is in the new riders section I'll throw in my 2 cents.

When I started riding in the 80's, I sold my Honda CB and got a 500 Interceptor. My goal was to learn to go fast as soon as possible. I had some good teachers and was basically riding at 100% within 6 months. 2 riders I knew raced on tracks. Well, I thought I was as good as they were because I could "Keep up" with my buddies. BS aside, I was riding pretty good....but I never led. When I had my 1st fall, I was trying to catch up with someone way ahead of me (from traffic) and over cooked a corner, stopped looking where I wanted to go and freezed like a deer in headlights. I went off a right hander about 70mph and got banged up pretty bad (broke my back).

My problem(s) were many, but the main point I want to make here was even though I was good, I did NOT have the experience to judge speeds, brake points and turn in points. I was a dog on a lease....even if I was a well trained dog...That kind of riding takes time to learn and to approach 100%, you need to be on a track to get close to the edge time after time...

If you only ride on the street, only push maybe 80% and watch out for the cages (beter yet to ride where they aren't).
post #15 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-08-2003, 11:51 AM

Allow me to throw in a TIP I received from an old 50 yr m/c vet. As a 16/17, old (in '47) I had proven myself to be a good flat tracker, dirt hill climber & fast trotter on the roads YET I often came into the shop with a damaged bike & in ALL cases it was the car/truck drivers fault. Now in those days most did not carry insurance so my tough luck.
This old boy (to me at the time) asked what I would have done if I suddenly noted the vehicle coming out of the rhubarb, being the left or right of the circuit & a NO ZONE AREA. So I started to come up with an answer only he asked what if the same from the other side, & just as I was about to answer he asked what if it was from behind or coming at me. I was bewildered with his flood of questions.
Then he told me "Smitty do you not realize you are the only sane person on the road & all the others are crazy & out to kill you?"
After some thinking I realized he was 100% in that you do NOT trust others to obey the law at stop signs, coming toward you, from behind you, turning left or right, etc. AGAIN: DO NOT EXPECT OTHERS TO OBEY THE HWY RULES. In that way you are flicking you eyes & head around to be 100% positive that they have stopped, that you are clear of them, etc. You build up a 110% defensive form of riding & you must be in full concentration 110% of the time & NOT thinking of something just a while back or what might be next like picking up the g/f for a movie, etc.
post #16 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 06:46 AM

We all like to blame the "other guy", and it is true that in most motorcycle vs. auto/truck crashes, the fault does lie with the other party.

Now consider this, multi vehicle incidents account for only a bit over 1/2 of motorcycle crashes. This means that in about 1/2 of all wrecks, we did it all by ourselves.

Smarter riding could reduce the motorcycle crash rate by almost 50%.

Mark
post #17 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 07:29 AM

none

Well I crashed on back of my brothers bike. He was new, just liscenced and bought a Ninja 600. I drove up to the city and he drove back. He was driving too fast for his ability, and I kept giving him good wacks in the ribs and telling him to slow down. Well off he goes again, I told him to slow down he doesn't listen the next turn is a right hander I would say 130 degree, and sharp. He lays it over chickens out, stands it up and we are off into the woods at 50 MPH.
We were lucky. The bike sunk into the soft muddy shoulder and actually stayed verticle, however we both did the superman into the forest, he landed in front of the bike (i would say from holding onto the grips he did a flip) and I just did my best Clark Kent impression and luckily missed the trees. We were both hurt, but not too bad. I drove the rest of the way home, and he was scared of the bike from then on, so I drove it most of the time, then he sold it.
When I took my Motorcycle Safety Course at the time all that was required was to show up at the DMV and do a figure 8 or two and you got your liscense. Well the government decided the examiners needed to take the MSC in order to better understand things before issuing new liscences. The one examiner ( a woman) froze before making a turn (on a 80cc training bike) and went riding off and crashed into this huge ditch filled with water and mud. It was the funniest thing I ever saw. She's crying sitting on her ass in a huge pile of mud and water (it was a very low speed crash no injuries possible). She never came back to class. This woman was feared by all young drivers going to the DMV for their tests. She was very mean, and failed a lot of people. It was so sweet to see this.
post #18 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 11:44 AM
Sin

I was travelling with a group of other riders and we were all doing about 180km/h or so down this 17 km straight stretch of road. Most of us carried radar detectors and it was early enough in the day on sunday that there were no other cars on the road. Now one of the guys in the group just bought a 02 R1 and you all know the type; he is the next hayden or duhamel but has never seen the track outside of the bleachers. He has to be a hot rod, high speed passes, wheelies where he shouldnt and stoppies at EVERY stop. It was getting annoying. We were heading to the states for 2 weeks and we all have backpacks, tankbags and luggage straped to rear seats. I had just settled in and made my self confortable on the 6'' space of seat I now have when "dumbass" comes up past me on 1 wheel going about 20km/h faster than me when his saddle bag on the right lets go and lodges itself in his rear tire. All I can remember after that is his bike shooting infront of mine and having no chance to avoid him as he was only about ten feet in front of me.

I woke up in a Calgary hospital with 2 pins in each of my wrists and 4 broken ribs. My shoei helmet had a huge fracture down the centre (Did its job well as I had no major head injuries). Dumbass broke his right arm dislocated his knee and suffered major internal bleeding after striking a rock in the ditch. Both bike were written off but I kept mine as it looks damn cool in boxes in my basement ( Thanks "dumbass" as I know you are reading this.)

The lesson to this is yes we were travelling at a high rate of speed but that was agreed on before we alll left. We also agreed on no passes or riding aggresivly. So the only factor left is becareful of who you ride with, you may be able to use good judgement but you cant always be sure others will.
post #19 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 02:11 PM

look for anything!

I was riding with 4 other guys one day. We where going back in to town. Was coming up the rode when a van pulling a trailer with a boat,pulled out of a parts store. Trailer hit the curb and boat came off, and the motor hit me in the leg. Liked to broke my leg. But just got away with 14 stiches and a small crack on the bike in the left faring. It turned out alright he had insurance. And I healed up. Just make sure you look for anything to happen cause it can happen.
post #20 of 139 (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 02:16 PM

here is my leg

ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode