Let's talk about the C-Word--Crashing - Page 14 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #131 of 139 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 07:59 AM

Two things to keep you alive on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlosman View Post
Everytime I hear about something where "the driver didn't know you were right next to him" stories I ask myself if this could happen to me. Did you have a stock pipe on your bike? I think people overlook a loud exhaust as a crucial safety feature. A loud pipe in second gear at 8k slowly decelerating is a way tell people you are there. Thoughts?
OK, I've been rider sport bikes for 30+ years...and haven't slowed much.

There are two things that have kept me alive over the years. So simple, even a cavemean can do it. :-)

1. ALWAYS KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN !!!
Always look at all cars in striking distance of you! That means to either side, infront and behind. NEVER let this rule fail you. One slip can be you doom.
Look way ahead in traffic so you can be prepared...and prepare those behind you if you have to brake suddenly.(flash your brake light)

2. ALWAYS BE SEEN !!!
Never be in a blind spot. This differs with all cars. USE YOUR HORN for gods sake. Go to another country and you will see they use it often! If you still don't know if they see you, DON"T stay there!!!

Other tips: I believe in a offensive/defensive style of riding. "I" deside where I'm going to be on the road. I never let cars or traffic pin me in a bad spot. If I have to go 100 OR 0 to get out of harms way, I'll do it.
Use you brake light to get cars to back-off that are too close! Most riders get cruched from behind in traffic because cars don't stop as fast as bikes. so use your mirrors constantly.
Make eye contact with other drivers...or at least see where they are looking.

Be safe all you riders!
Be seen and keep your eyes OPEN
and of course...keep the rubber-side down...at least one tire anyways.

Zrider
...Now riding an SV1000s :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 139 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 04:50 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrider View Post
OK, I've been rider sport bikes for 30+ years...and haven't slowed much.

There are two things that have kept me alive over the years. So simple, even a cavemean can do it. :-)

1. ALWAYS KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN !!!
Always look at all cars in striking distance of you! That means to either side, infront and behind. NEVER let this rule fail you. One slip can be you doom.
Look way ahead in traffic so you can be prepared...and prepare those behind you if you have to brake suddenly.(flash your brake light)

2. ALWAYS BE SEEN !!!
Never be in a blind spot. This differs with all cars. USE YOUR HORN for gods sake. Go to another country and you will see they use it often! If you still don't know if they see you, DON"T stay there!!!

Other tips: I believe in a offensive/defensive style of riding. "I" deside where I'm going to be on the road. I never let cars or traffic pin me in a bad spot. If I have to go 100 OR 0 to get out of harms way, I'll do it.
Use you brake light to get cars to back-off that are too close! Most riders get cruched from behind in traffic because cars don't stop as fast as bikes. so use your mirrors constantly.
Make eye contact with other drivers...or at least see where they are looking.

Be safe all you riders!
Be seen and keep your eyes OPEN
and of course...keep the rubber-side down...at least one tire anyways.

Zrider
...Now riding an SV1000s :-)
Good suggestions, definitely. For me all but one crash, ironically, have resulted from my own failure to recognize I wasn't focused enough for the ride. That's the only other thing I'd add to your list. The two items you put up there I do actively and they have, indeed, saved me from many a collision

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #133 of 139 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 05:00 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwisch View Post
For me all but one crash, ironically, have resulted from my own failure to recognize I wasn't focused enough for the ride. That's the only other thing I'd add to your list.
+1. Lack of focus can cause a crash in no time. I'm a perfect example of that, since my first crash happened pulling out of a driveway. Shortest ride I ever took. I had several thousand miles under my belt, but that doesn't make a damn bit of difference.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers

post #134 of 139 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 10:24 AM

just got my 07 gsxr 600...bout 5 months on it..driving down a back road that i always ride...tons of tight turns and hills...anyways i was doin about 65mph round a turn( to left) and i see a bright a$$ orange sign saying loose gravel!!! yeah talk bout one fo those oh shit moments.. well i immediately started braking but too late, huge rocks, hell almost bricks...i went down no doubt doin about 50mph slid into an oak tree... tore the left side of my bike pretty bad...turns out a logging company just made a new gravel road and dropped some rocks(bricks) in the road...watch signs!!!!!!
post #135 of 139 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07gsxr600red View Post
just got my 07 gsxr 600...bout 5 months on it..driving down a back road that i always ride...tons of tight turns and hills...anyways i was doin about 65mph round a turn( to left) and i see a bright a$$ orange sign saying loose gravel!!! yeah talk bout one fo those oh shit moments.. well i immediately started braking but too late, huge rocks, hell almost bricks...i went down no doubt doin about 50mph slid into an oak tree... tore the left side of my bike pretty bad...turns out a logging company just made a new gravel road and dropped some rocks(bricks) in the road...watch signs!!!!!!

So what is the proper procedure when you suddenly find yourself on loose gravel? I had a wipe out on a little Honda CT70 once when I entered a turn with gravel and had a bad habit of only braking with the front wheel. In a split second I was on the asphalt sideways. Had roadrash everywhere.
post #136 of 139 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 04:56 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therion View Post
So what is the proper procedure when you suddenly find yourself on loose gravel? I had a wipe out on a little Honda CT70 once when I entered a turn with gravel and had a bad habit of only braking with the front wheel. In a split second I was on the asphalt sideways. Had roadrash everywhere.
Well, the first rule is to have scouted the road you're going to be tearing up. At a minimum you should be completely familiar with it and know what risks might appear during any given season. 'Course that's easy to say sitting in the midwest with few quality sections as opposed to the coasties. If you've ever been to the track, hitting the street hard loses quite a bit of its luster.

If you hit gravel or grass, use rear brake only and lightly, keeping the bike straight up as much as possible with no sudden movements. Everything should be very smooth until you come to a stop.

Surprises in the roadway are just a fact of riding. Experience is the most likely guide through the trouble which is partly why the MSF courses (Beginner and Experienced) and track schoools are pushed.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #137 of 139 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 09:13 PM

Just going to bring this thread back to life real quick. This hqppned to a friend of mine who unlike most of the people here didn't have a helmet on when he was riding.

It was a couple years ago when he was leading and I was following in my car and we where heading back to my place for the night. A oil truck had over turned earlier That night and some of the oil leaked onto the road. (Bet you can see where this is going ) well he hit a patch of oil going about 65 and went off to the right rolling while the bike went stright. Thank god that I was behind when I happened (3 am) had to have a metal plate put in his skull along with a couple stiches.
post #138 of 139 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 01:34 PM

Unfortunately I crashed the very first time I rode a motorcycle on the street. I was 18 and was way too cocky. I went off the road and onto someones lawn and slid on my stomach across the grass for maybe 30 feet. To show how smart I was, I was wearing zero protective clothing so it is good I was only going 40 mph and landed on the grass. Lesson learned. Now it is my Scorpion helmet and Joe Rocket gear ALL the time.

Kevin From
post #139 of 139 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 07:37 AM
Lifetime Premium

Does having a 'crash' make you a bad person or a bad rider?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode