What's Countersteering? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

What's Countersteering?

I'm ashamed to say it, but I've been riding for about two months and I STILL don't know what the heck countersteering is (well I have a guess as to what it is but I'm not sure).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 07:33 PM

If you've been traveling over 20 mph, you've been counter-steering... Simply put, it uses leverage to cause your bike to shift it's weight in order to change direction. Push left-go left, push right, go right. It's really important to know how to effectively counter-steer in order to avoid objects, or to go fast around a race track.

I'll let someone else provide a link or explain the physics. But in mechanical terms, above 15-20 mph, when you push a direction on the handlebar, you cause the front wheel to deviate from the direction of travel. Because of the inertia of the bike, it will want to continue to go the previous direction. But since the front wheel is now out of alignment, the bike will try to trip over in the direction you pushed - effectively shifting it's weight. Since this is most of the battle in getting a bike to turn, it's a very effective tool. I think the first Kieth Code book talks about it well also.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by skidmarx
If you've been traveling over 20 mph, you've been counter-steering... Simply put, it uses leverage to cause your bike to shift it's weight in order to change direction. Push left-go left, push right, go right. It's really important to know how to effectively counter-steer in order to avoid objects, or to go fast around a race track.

I'll let someone else provide a link or explain the physics. But in mechanical terms, above 15-20 mph, when you push a direction on the handlebar, you cause the front wheel to deviate from the direction of travel. Because of the inertia of the bike, it will want to continue to go the previous direction. But since the front wheel is now out of alignment, the bike will try to trip over in the direction you pushed - effectively shifting it's weight. Since this is most of the battle in getting a bike to turn, it's a very effective tool. I think the first Kieth Code book talks about it well also.
Yup.........try to get Kieth Code's Twist of the Wrist I, and II goes into great detail about countersteering, also he a video out..give it a look see... Most book stores have it, as well as bike shops, and dealers......

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 03:03 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
these men speak the truth. you've counter steered. however, read this http://www.msgroup.org/TIP048.html and get an understanding in your mind. when the time comes for quick decisive inputs, you need to know this. the only way to make it second nature is practice.

i used to ride open handed and push on the bars, trying to dodge road irregularities. just a thought.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 08:31 AM

The MSF course should answer this and any of your other questions. I highly recommend it.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 08:34 AM

Exclamation

I just saw in another post that you took the MSF. I'm really surprised they didn't explain, "push right, go right, push left, go left."
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 08:52 AM

It's weird how countersteer works.........you push left to go left, the wheel turns right but your going left and vice versa.

Weird huh.......
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 01:36 PM

Friend of mine was riding immedately after WWII, then had to give up riding 7 his lovely 350 AJS single in '52 as he had a family & expenses to take care of.
Come mid-80s & he is planning to start riding again ONLY he is reading about this strange thing called "counter steering". Still after a while he realized he had been doing this while riding his bicycle prior to WWII, during the war & while riding his m/cs from '45 till '52.
There is the answer ----- you ride a bicycle & you AUTOMATICALLY countersteer or end up falling off the bike all the time. Thing is at 75 yrs of age he is still riding his 1000cc Beemer & NOT had an accident in his life on a m/c---try that one for size..
I had problems with a chap that bought a 125cc Royal Enfield 'Flying Flea" as he took off with the bike when it came turn while going across the alley he went right into the fence on the other side.
Had me baffled for he was an ex-major in the Army, probably knew more about the bikes we handled then our regular customers/riders.
FINALLY realized he had come from a farm, rode horses, handled horses at with what ever the pulled, drove Jeep, & many forms of trucks, BUT had never RIDEN a bicycle in his life.
Handed him a bicycle (originally our shop with a bicycle shop) & he simply could not BALANCE or handle it. So a week plus learning how to ride a bicycle & then it was easy for him to start learning on his 125!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 02:35 PM

When I took my MSF Class countersteering was a very
hot topic. The insturctor drilled into out heads in the
classroom. Out on the range he made us do it over and
over in different course lay outs. All it is: Push left on the
handle bar and go left. Push right and go right.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 08:26 AM
BCP

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeeter-YZF
When I took my MSF Class countersteering was a very
hot topic. The insturctor drilled into out heads in the
classroom. Out on the range he made us do it over and
over in different course lay outs. All it is: Push left on the
handle bar and go left. Push right and go right.
Yes but i believe that you dont get a strong countersteering feel until about 15mph. Anything slower than that, while you might countersteer breifly, its not long enough or it doesnt require enough pressure to be noticed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode