there's no fuel guage on my ZX-7R??? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

there's no fuel guage on my ZX-7R???

Ok I don't know if I'm missing it or what. Ok I know there is not a fuel guage, so how can I find out how much gas I have left? I couldn't find anything in the manual about a gas guage or something. Also about how many miles will I go with a full tank of gas? Do I just reset the trip meter each time for fill up and measure it that way?

Sorry ya'll this is my first bike. I just got it last saturday.

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 10:56 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
My XX had a gas gague and I never used it. The way I did it was just ride normal for about 100 miles or less (most bikes can at least do that) and fill it up. Calculate my mileage each time I fill up for the first few times and average them. Then take your tank capacity and find out how many miles you can go. Take 20-30 miles off of that and thats when I start looking to fill up. I'm sure there are other ways of doing it, but it's worked for me so far. Good luck!

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 12:50 PM

Yes, use your trip odometer, to measure how far you've gone on a tank of gas. You also have a reserve switch on the left side of the fuel tank, near the seat. Make sure you switch that to ON when you fill your tank. Ride around town till it stalls out on you, then switch to reserve, and ride to the nearest gas station. Check how many miles you put on till you hit reserve. You know then at what mileage you hit reserve, so start looking for gas before that.

Also, practise switching the fuel switch while riding. Sit in your driveway, on the bike, and practice reaching around your leg and switching it. I ride a zx-7r also. To reach my fuel switch, I stick my left knee out a little, and reach inside my knee to the switch. Practise it with your gloves on too. Its an important thing to be able to do on the freeway, in heavy traffic, without missing a beat.

I usually start looking for gas at around 100 miles on the odometer. I know I have a little more room then that, but its not worth risking it. I think mine gets 120 miles before I have to switch to reserve, then another 20 miles on reserve, for a total range of 140 miles. Mine is jetted, and is running a full Yosh exhaust. When my bike was stock, I got about 140 miles before reserve, then another 30 miles on reserve.

Good luck,
Keep it shiny Side up.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 01:09 PM

Good post Kevlar. Great tip about practicing switching to RES.

Pana - Make sure you keep your fuel petcock set to ON. If it's set to RES then you can run your tank totally out of fuel. When you run out of fuel set at ON you will feel your bike starting to sputter and have crappy throttle response before the engine will quit running.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

? about the switch. Can i leave that on at all times even when i turn the bike off for the night or should i just go ahead and turn it to off?

Thanks again for you info. this is all helping me a lot.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2002, 01:21 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by PanaSSat26
? about the switch. Can i leave that on at all times even when i turn the bike off for the night or should i just go ahead and turn it to off?

Thanks again for you info. this is all helping me a lot.
You can leave the switch on all of the time.

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 04:59 PM

Some good tips above about milage. What I do is use said reserve (in my case it is an idiot lights). Now I will fill up, jot down exactly the amount of fuel I take in AND set my trip meter to zero & next time I need to switch to reserve I will again jot down the milagege & amount of fuel. By this time one knows, when scooting along hwy roads they are not familiar with about when to pull in a bit early to fill up. One of the worst things you can do is run out of fuel in some unknowed area.
As I ride a 600 & a 929 I get mixed up on when I should be looking to fill up. So now I have numbers on a tape on the reserve brake fluid containers. So I darn well start looking for fuel stations when I am around 210 to 240 Klicks on the 290 as I know it can run out at 250 or 260 Klicks YET one the 600 & riding under the same conditions AND pace it is 320 to 330 Klicks as the farthest I have made it is 350 Klicks. Sorry for the metic stuff, but that is what we use here in Cdn not that I like it.
Of interest both bikes have around the same sized fuel tanks, so just goes to show the better fuel milage of a 600.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2002, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kvpZX9R
Pana - Make sure you keep your fuel petcock set to ON. If it's set to RES then you can run your tank totally out of fuel.
Also, being a newbie and all, it's not a bad idea to get into the habit of giving a few things a quick look/see when approaching the bike. Some of your 'friends' or strangers who just enjoy screwing with ya have been known to flip petcocks to reserve when they walk by a bike, then laff about where you might be when you discover you're outta gas!
Another favorite is folks who hit your kill switch and watch as you try to start yur bike.

AFA switching the petcock off when stored...I'm assuming the 7R has a fuel pump (as my 6R does). Probably won't be any problem with leaving it on if you have a fuel pump, but note a too common problem with the Concours is the tanks rust, rust screws up the petcock and it won't seal off when you stop the bike. The same rust may screw up one of the four carbs (float sticks) and allow fuel to flow into a cylinder when you shut your bike off. Later, when you hit the starter (with a cylinder full of fuel)...hydrolock if you're lucky, if you're not, a bent rod when the engine lights off! Fer those of you lucky enough to not have rusted tanks, trash could also possibly do the same thing.

Mebbe something for you folks with gravity fed systems to consider?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 03:28 AM

Everybody deserves a pat on the back for honestly answering a honest question. That's how you make friends and more sportbike riders!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 07:28 AM

So you see when asking, what you feel is a stupid question, you will pick up a lot of honest answers & tips. One of the many advantages of being a m/cist & on a m/c Site like this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode