Purchasing used bike? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Purchasing used bike?

1st I would just like to say I love this site, and I have learned a lot alredy.

What should I look for when buying used? miles? years? I like the CBR 600 a lot.

Another thing, my dad is COMPLETELY against me buying a bike, I am 22. He used to race them when he was younger and my neighbor lost his leg in a wreck. So I hear about all that every time I try to talk to him about getting a bike. Thanks

BTW, anyone wanna trade a 2000 Polaris SLX 1200 Jetski for say a CBR 600?

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 03:52 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
john,

i can understand your dad's fears. if you want to try to get your dad on your side, invite him onto the site. we have a lot of good people from your area.

as for the cbr600...have you ridden a motorcycle, dirtbike, etc.? if not, a cbr600 isn't really the choice you should going for. if you have a few fairly recent years of off-road riding, it's not bad.

they aren't the best bike to learn on. they are expensive to repair in minor tip-overs. one thing i tell all new riders who are thinking about what bike to buy, picture the bike on its side.

i dropped my cbr600f2 (which was the current model back them) twice. the first time i saw it on its side i was crushed. my first bike was an old beater (i wish i knew that there was an internet back then, i would have found a smaller beater). the first two times i dropped it, it was so ugly you couldn't even notice. the last time i dumped it, it was easier to spot. picture a pretzle with tires. however, i paid $600 for it, put $100 into it and sold what was left for $250. that's $550 down the drain for a summer of fun.

the minor spill on my f2 had $1400 worth of damage. plastic ain't cheap.

feel free to ask questions and further check out the site. and please, if you'd like you dad's approval, feel free to invite him onto the site, check things out, etc. i know you're 22, but i know i was still explain things to my dad.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

He is just scared I will end up like our neighbor. I had enough trouble convincing him to lety me get my jet ski.

Oh yeah, i have ridden a little bit but not a whole lot. I think I will take a safety course and see if that helps the old man out a little bit.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 08:30 PM

Rather hard to go against your Father especially as a friend/neighbour lost a leg in a m/c accident.
I take it you are still living at home, so that puts another damper on what you might light.
Besides Tony pretty well spelled it out that a sportbike is not an ideal bike to start out with & I go along with him on this one.
There are less powerful bikes out there, but not as flashy. Still they have the low rpm torque & smooth pull while a sportbike is ACTUALLY a replica of a roadracing m/c so it is with a maze of power & only once you get the revs up -- so not the bike to be taking it easy on when in the city streets. Only EXPERIENCE will teach one how to handle a sportbike in town, amongst the traffic, & on the hwys. Said "experience" should come from a more sensible bike to learn on & you are not only learning how to ride it, but how to stay upright on two wheels, to watch out for a bit of grit that can send you on your ear, to turn slowly & still stay upright, to stop properly & even emergency braking, how to deal with the cage drivers, etc. By the way a good start would be on the MSF course rather then learning it the hard & costly way.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 06:53 PM

Yup, it's gonna be tough convincing your Dad ...but, is he against all bikes, or just "sportbikes".? As Smitty said, a sportbike isn't the best bike to learn on...nor is a new bike ideal either...

Another thing would be to look into the MSF course(Motorcycle Safety Foundation)..they teach you how to ride, and are very safety oriented..taking this course has many advantages..

An alternative to a "sportbike" is a Suzuki SV 650..it's a twin, has a bout 70 hp..and is a total blast to ride, in fact they are so popular, that many guys/gals race them.. And even though they come form the factory without full fairings...you can buy aftermarket fairings for it..Maybe buying a used SV 650 with less HP, than a 600 sportbike, and showing him some info. about the MSF course, may just be the ticket to winning him over..Oh, and just to let ya know, Not only am I a Dad too, but my Son has 2 kids...and I would recomend the same thing to him...as I've recomended to you..I've also raced bikes..so I know what can happen, but if done properly, you can really reduce the chances of anything going wrong..i.e. you need to be responsible . Also as Tony said, invite your Dad to log on, and ask any questions, I'd be happy to talk with him.. Oh, for your viewing enjoyment..here's a few SV 650's..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 06:54 PM

Another..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 06:58 PM

And 1 more street version..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 08:50 PM

Best to show him what the SV-650 or SV650S in like from the showroom floor & not the doctored up versions.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Best to show him what the SV-650 or SV650S in like from the showroom floor & not the doctored up versions.
I agree, I put up the pic's for John...

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode