question on the ninja 250 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

question on the ninja 250

ok, ive been doing my research, and so far ive decided that for my first bike, i want to get a ninja 250r. this seems to be the one bike that everyone recommends to start off with. i was lust wondering what other bikes were out there that are similar to this little ninja. im talking about the engine size, maybe it looks a little bit better. also, ive seen the 250 that is for Canada, and was wondering how hard it is to get a hold of one of these. IMO they look a lot better than ours. thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 12:57 PM
elo

Thumbs up

Excellent choice for a first bike! There will be a lot of people jumping in here telling you to look elsewhere. IGNORE THEM! You've done your research and chosen very, very well!

As far as comparable bikes, unfortunately in the US there aren't any really. Kawasaki is the only company that markets a 4-stroke 250cc motorcycle here. Importing from Canada would probably require going through a dealer, or cutting through a lot of red tape because Canadian and US environmental policies differ. And then of course there's import tax etc. Your best bet would be to buy Canadian bodywork and put it on your US bike.

One other option is aftermarket bodywork. I am not familiar with 250 fairings specifically but if you enter that into a search engine you should pull up a few companies.

I would humbly recommend that before you drop $500+ on new plastics for your new bike that you ride it "as is" for a while. All first bikes will fall over, why scratch new plastic?

Good luck and great riding to you!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elo
Excellent choice for a first bike! You've done your research and chosen very, very well!
I agree. My first bike was a Ninja 250 and I liked it alot. It is the perfect bike to learn on. Not too fast, light, easy to manuever, cheap.

Quote:
Originally posted by elo
There will be a lot of people jumping in here telling you to look elsewhere. IGNORE THEM!
I disagree. The 250 is a good learning tool but believe me when I tell you this..... People said the same thing to me and I did not believe them, but they were right. YOU WILL WANT A BIGGER BIKE 6-12 MONTHS FROM NOW.

I am not saying not to get a 250. I just want you to know that YOU WILL WANT A BIGGER BIKE 6-12 MONTHS FROM NOW. I rode the 250 for a year and I am glad I had it to learn on. But I bought mine with the intention of upgrading to a 600 the following year. If you plan on keeping this bike any longer than a year, you might want to look at the Ninja 500. Just my .02.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 02:49 PM

i bought my 2nd wife a 250 ninja to learn

on...she had it for about 4 months and we got her a 600 katana..

the 250 is a GREAT bike to learn on.. i wouldnt mind having the 250 OR the 600 now..shoot i'd even like to have HER back...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 03:22 PM

Thats not the case here. Him and I are both getting 250's and we are just gona keep them for a little bit to learn and practice on. And once we have learned properly...its 600 time!!! Well, i duno about him, but I intend for a yzf-r6 or 600r.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 03:45 PM

Gabo i emailed the guy in cape coral with the really nice 250. I asked him iif we could come look at it. I hope he says yes.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 07:36 AM

There are a few other 4-stroke, 250cc streetbikes marketed in the U.S. But they don't have the plastics, if you know what I mean. And all the articles and real-world rides will tell you that those "other" 250s are inferior to the Kawi Ninja 250 (bigtime). The Ninja 250 is the only sportbike sold in the US at the 250cc class. But if a sportbike isn't your thing, there are a few standard/cruiser 250s to look at.

The Canadian 250 has a nicer frame and different plastics... but is considered a bit less physically capable than the American version. I would't try and move one stateside. It won't be worth the headache and the result will be a better looking 250 that's less technologically advanced (and that's saying a lot, given that the current US model was basically designed in '88). And in case you were wondering... the different frames means you CANNOT bolt the plastics from a Canadian version to the American version unless you want to hack the crap out of them first. Aftermarket fairings are available for the 250. Some of them are geared for racing so you won't have openings for headlight, tail light, etc. Others simply won't look much different from the stock fairings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode