Anybody happy with their Ninja 250?? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 04:50 AM Thread Starter

Anybody happy with their Ninja 250??

Hey all, im getting a bike soon. And ive pretty much decided on a ninja. Either a 250 or 500. It seems 250's are very plentiful and cheap. It would be very easy for me to get one, which makes me consider it. But i just dont know if it would be too small for me.

Im 5'11 1/2" ~ 6ft, and slim. Im only about 140 pds. I dont want to look/ feel to big on this bike. So would it be too small for me?

Also, you guys that have gotten a 250 been happy with it? Size~power wise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 04:53 AM

at 6'3'' and 230lbs the 500 was to small for me, even most 600 feel cramped. but you gotta sit on it to see
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 05:02 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
Re: Anybody happy with their Ninja 250??

Quote:
Originally posted by GoTime242
Hey all, im getting a bike soon. And ive pretty much decided on a ninja. Either a 250 or 500. It seems 250's are very plentiful and cheap. It would be very easy for me to get one, which makes me consider it. But i just dont know if it would be too small for me.

Im 5'11 1/2" ~ 6ft, and slim. Im only about 140 pds. I dont want to look/ feel to big on this bike. So would it be too small for me?

Also, you guys that have gotten a 250 been happy with it? Size~power wise?
either the 250 or the 500 will make excellent bikes for you to start on. they will teach you a lot about motorcycling and will give you a serious advantage over people who start on bigger bikes.

i'm about 2" shorter than you with a 31" inseam. i don't think either the 250 or 500 is particularly uncomfortable. the 500 is probably more comfortable. i haven't been on a 250 long enough to really know.

i spent a day on a 500. and it's a great bike. it doesn't rev as high as the 250, which revs to 13.5k or something like that... 14?

either bike is a good choice. i think the 250 looks a wee bit better. but the 500 has 17" wheels and more torque and was pretty good at high speed (i rented one for a track school).

if you're really in the middle of the two, you can get the suzuki gs500. it's kinda in the middle-ground between the two ninjas.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 06:08 AM

I currently own a 2001 Ninja 250 and I love it! I think it is excellent to learn on. Now, I must add that I am short....about 5,7 and 165......so I might be different, but anyway, I have no problem with it starting out. I have been on 2-3 hour trips with it before with no problem...easy on gas and low maintenence. However, I`m looking to upgrade to a 600cc now that I have ridden one season and feel comfortable.

If your interested in buy a 250....e-mail me...I wasnt planning on selling mine till I got my hands on a used 600...but maybe we can work something out??
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 07:11 AM

You will look pretty much like a giant praying mantis on a roller skate while astride a Ninja 250.

They are really fun bikes. I enjoyed the one my wife learned on while we owned it. Many of my riding friends tried it out and all thought it was a blast to ride. It has enough power for around town and back roads if you keep the revs up but runs out of breath quickly as you eclipse 70 MPH. It'll top out at just over 100 but that takes awhile to achieve.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Haha, a giant praying mantis..

Well...i just got back from the local bike dealership. Powersports, I sat on all the bikes there. And i was quite amazed how comfy i was on some of the bigger bikes. I always thought they would be too big for me. Most of them were zx-9's and that size. However, i would never even consider something that big for my first bike. But it made me realize the 250 size would be way too small. I am definetly decided on a ninja, and right now im thinking 500 or 600 size. I really like the zx-6 maybe even the zx-6r. But the zx-6r, i think, would not make a good first bike. I dont want to get myself into trouble.

Also while at the dealership, i was considering just getting a new bike. Instead of an older one. I have a good job, thats more or less full time. How much do new 500r's and zx-6's go for? Where can i find out about pricing. Also one of my other concerns is insurance. I just did a quote and it said about 200$$ as my 12 month quote or something. Is this 200 a month? Or 200 every 12 months?

Wow i have so many questions. Like how low can the monthly payments get on a zx-6 or 500r? Thx
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Ok, in the last 20 minutes of hard thinking. I have decided. It will be a 500r. zx-6 or 6r will be too much for me, cost wise and just being hella fast.

So, all my above question are just for the 500r.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 09:51 AM

Hey, just my opinion, but the 500 is not twice the bike of a 250....especially if you are going to sell or trade in for a bigger bike later on...you are much better off for the money to buy a 250......learn to ride well.....and then sell it for most of the money you put into it. You`ll be surprised how well the 250 can handle in the twisties....very light and agile.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Yeah i know, but its just too small for me. I found one while i was out today, and went up and inspected it. Its just too small.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 02:20 PM
elo

Arrow FYI

A good friend of mine is 6'3, about 170 and has put 40,000 miles on his Ninja 250. Actually, he commutes on it as his only form of transportation. He absolutely loves that little bike and he doesn't look silly riding it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode