looking for my second bike - Questions - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

looking for my second bike - Questions

I grew up my whole life (23 yrs) riding quads.... I then bought a dirt bike and started riding that in 1997.....After taking the motorcycle rider safty course I bought an old yamaha (1981 650 with only 2200 miles from my uncle)..... I have now been riding that since 1998 til now. I am now looking at purchasing a sport bike. The thing is I have never ridden a really sport bike before... and my only friend that has one wont let me try it out .....

I have always wanted a R6 or a CBRf4i.... but now I am really looking into a new buell XB9R. I am not into speed and dont like to ride fast. I just want something fun and good looking!!!

I guess my question is.... will I have a problem going for a basic "cruiser style" older bike to a sport bike like an R6 or a Buell..... or will it be as simple as getting on the new bike and riding it???? any tricks or tips to this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 08:51 AM

it will take some getting used to, they aren't as comfy and much faster. I would love the get a buell lightning, it just looks way to sweet, like a bad ass chopped down dirtbike/street killer

go to a dealer and take a test ride, you do have an endorsement don't you?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 09:03 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
the only problems you'll have are wrist pain for a month and you won't find the pegs at first (up where, back where?!?!). principles are the same though. the buell may be the better choice if you don't want to go balls to the wall. it's more upright and standard-styled.

i'd say ride the buell and see where you are from there. you may even be able to bum a test ride on an r6/f4i from a private owner selling used. but don't say i told you so. but remember a lot of folks won't let you do that either.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 10:23 AM

Actually there should be no problems --- it will just be different & you will find you are in a slight lean forward riding position (more like leaning INTO the wind) & depending upon the bike it could mean the footrests are closer to being under your butt then way out front STILL in actual fact that is a better riding postion as not all the wt will be on your butt/spine, but on the arms, shoulders, to the butt & finally down to the strong leg muscles.
Sort of reminds me of the days of the VW bugs back in early 50s when people were frightened of the short front end of the car.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Well I took an XB9R buell out today for a test/demo ride.... was pretty easy to ride for not ever riding a sport bike before. A very fun bike to ride.... i am going to look into it a little more. I still would like to try something else out like an F4i or an R6 before o make my decision before i buy something.....

but like i said before... i dont want speed.... just something fun to ride around and looks.... the buell has all that!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode