Winter riding/surviving - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Winter riding/surviving

Anyone have any tips for surviving winter commuting on a sportbike? (besides taking the bus!) I'm getting the waterproof gear, but have little experience with navigating rain slick streets.
Thx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 10:32 AM

Kaya I would say aim for the bus.

I am sorry to say this, but for 56 yrs I have been riding m/cs up here in Western Canada & basically 4 months of the year I use a truck or when living in a cities it was the public transit.
Thing is two wheels have a hard time staying upright when there is snow underneath for often it is ICED or worse yet BLACK ICE. You cannot stop as fast corner properly & believe me most cage drivers simply slide along the ice with locked wheels.
Okay so they salt/sand/gravel the corners & stopping points only trying to stay upright on two wheels is like trying to stay upright with marbles under you.
The riding gear will be costly to stay warm in & take a while to put on or take off.
Just a few of my personal tips & believe m one does not want the salt & crap to get thrown up into the alloy parts of the engine. Lastly the battery will be suffering in the cold so TO THE BUS!!!!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2002, 10:41 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
i'm with smitty. oregon is like the black ice capital. you can ride in the winter, but watch yourself. also, learn about hypo-thermia (1985 wrold speeling B chimpeon, apologizes in for misspellings) and it's early warning signs. real easy to get body temps low.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 04:17 PM
jrm

In Seattle, winter means WET, but not always so cold. You just gotta be smart about it. Check the weather on the internet when you get up and see if it is a bike or bus day.

Also take into account how far you have to go and what types of roads you will be travelling. Just gotta cruise city streets at 35mph?-No problem. Gotta hit I-5 across some of Portland's many bridges?--maybe more of a problem if it is cold. Cars can make incredible trail of rain spray on the highway, too, so visibility may be your biggest challenge.

Dress warm and dress to stay dry. Remember some places freeze/ice over before others (bridges). Use some common sense and you can spend most days happily commuting through sloppy streets in nasty rain.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 05:22 PM

Be very smart and careful when you first get in the rain. The bike likes to get very squirmy in a damn hurry. Obviously slow down and try to take the corners in a more upright postion when it's wet. Don't just be careful while turning. On corner exits you have to accelerate slower than normal. It's really easy to get the rear wheel spinning and stepping out on ya if you get hamfisted on the throttle exiting a turn. I'll give you another warning of bridges and ice. I do a lot of riding in cold temps myself, luckily it's dry here though. Hypo-thermia is a no shit factor. Your hands will lose feeling fast. Spend the money on some good winter riding gloves. Just be extra careful.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 06:32 PM

Two words:
Electric Vest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode