Are Derbi GP50's Legal in CA? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Are Derbi GP50's Legal in CA?

i was searching around the internet and i came across the Derbi GP50 replica bike. in my search for a small displacement first bike, this is the most beautiful one i have ever seen. i was wondering, is it legal in the US, namely CA?

also....with a bike from a small company like this, wouldnt it be hard to get it serviced or find spare parts?

is it similar to the aprilia rs50? because i heard the rs50 barely gets around town. is the gp50 a little faster, or does it have a little better top speed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 04:39 PM

I dont know much about the derbi, and i have heard the aprilia is slow out of the box but there is alot of hop ups for the aprillia like a 70cc big bore kit, bigger carb, exhaust, steel brake lines, suspension, heavy duty clutch. i have heard of guys hitting 100mph on them.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 10:07 AM

Lightbulb

If you are looking only for the speed issue..........You need to reconsider your choice in machines.

If the purpose is to road race.........There are several race bodies within CA that offer this class.

If this is a serviceability issue..........Again, choose machines other than these.

If you collect these macnines.........THEN GOOD ONES TO PICK-UP, ESPECIALLY IF CHEAP!

But to ride around town to get experience the YSR50 is in the same league..............BUT OUTLAWED FOR "STREET USE" IN CA!

An experienced suggestion...........An opinion and only that.

Go with one of the following:

KAWASAKI NINJA 250R
YAMAHA FZR400
KAWASAKI NINJA 500R

All of these machines are EXCELLENT learner machines, forgiving yet will give GOOD rider feedback, parts are readily available, CA "Street Legal" and are cheap.........$1,200.00 to $4,000.00 in price.

May the force be with you young Skywalker!

Johnny
Team No Limit Racing &#169 1996-2002
http://www.teamnolimitracing.com

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 09:43 AM

Smile What do you mean outlawed for street use?

"But to ride around town to get experience the YSR50 is in the same league..............BUT OUTLAWED FOR "STREET USE" IN CA! "

Do you mean the YSR is illegal for street use or the Derbi?

My YSR is titled and registered in CA. I race it on the track and put the street gear on when I ride around town and my local backroads on weekends. Last weekend my buddy and I we were hitting 55mphs throught the twisties. Out of courtesy to bikers, the cars were pulling over for us. Imagine the look on their face when they realized they pulled over for YSR50s. Well, I don't think they even realized how small these are until they moved. Anyway I started on a big bike and worked my way backwards.

Last edited by eddiemcrider; 10-22-2002 at 10:56 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 10:31 AM

Lightbulb

Although the YSR50 has to be registered; Like EVERYTHING in CA. I was told by a Cop friend that "street operation" of the YSR50 is not permitted and they "actively" cite such riders. The reasoning was the "profile" of the machine coupled with the displacement that made the machines "hazardous" for the rider and other motorists. THE MACHINES ARE HARD TO SEE UNDER "NORMAL" TRAFFIC CONDITIONS.

Johnny
Team No Limit Racing &#169 1996-2002
http://www.teamnolimitracing.com
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 10:47 AM

hmm that's news to me....

Why would the DMV and my MC insurance Co. take my $ if they were illegal in Cali? Well I guess that's self explantory.... Money grubing theives.

Last Sunday a motorcycle cop passed me heading the opposite direction and didn't even take a 2nd glance. My YSR is fast and loud. I would imagine the ticket I'd be given is for my aftermarket pipe. If I can't be seen, then at least I'll be heard before the [knock on wood] splat. Anyways, I try to wear bright colors and I never ride at night on the YSR.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 08:36 AM
elo

Derbi 50's and RS50's are great bikes.... but not legal for highway use. They don't meet required top speed. I think these and YSR's are fantastic bikes to start riding on, you can flog the crap outta them and they just keep taking it, but they really aren't practical if you want to do anything other than twisty backroads.

If you want a list of good beginner bikes, here are a few:

Kawasaki:
Ninja 250
Ninja 500
ZX6E

Suzuki:
GS500E
SV650
Katana 600
Bandit 400
Bandit 600

Honda:
CBR F1
CBR F2
CBR 400 (if ya can find one!)
VFR 500

Yamaha:
Seca I and II
FZR 400
FZR 600
YZF 600 (NOT YZF R6!)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 09:00 AM

twisty backroads.... yup that's what me and my buddies use em for use em for...

I like twisty roads. Top speed doesn't interest me as much as curvy roads. My drivers license also approves. LOL. Here's what we've been up to on my backroads.

BAYSR
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 09:21 AM
elo

Talking mmmmmmmmmmm! Yummy!

I had an 89 like the red and white one, it was my first bike. I really, really, really wish I hadn't gotten rid of it.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-30-2002, 10:58 AM

pocketbike racing

I heard they are raced at a kart track in Stockton, CA? Have you been there? It's only 40 min from me. I heard on Mondays there is open practice from 1-5pm for $10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode