losin' my mind? or just my balance? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

losin' my mind? or just my balance?

ok this is freakin me out i was just startin 2 wear off my chicken strips when i started 2 experience front tire wash outs. i've only been on a sportbike (if a katana counts) for about 3,000 miles, but did 5 or 6,000 on my v-twin and i've taken what i guess is the m.s.f. course (3 day; little tiny bikes; lots of instructers) the turns i'm havin trouble with are 90degrees, but they're wide enuff lanes where you can swing wide then apex it so ur not really pullin a 90. i was hittin 'em @ about 20. i tried pushin it a little over that (not getting that "too fast" feeling) and WHAM! I break traction with the front tire. saved it but not b4 slap dancin with the tank and almost hysidin it.
dilema is this:
now i'm shyin away from the turns i really dig- the ones graduall enuff to hit at interstate speeds- cuz of how much worse it would suck to have one then and i never saw the s**t coming the first time.
is something wrong with my bike or does this sound like a problem due to a common mistake most squids make
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 11:16 AM

Talking Kanatuna

Ok, first off don't call yourself a squid. Actualy being scared of certain parts of riding is mostly a mental thing but don't trash yourself it ruins confedence. Losing grip with the front tire has lots of causes. Cold tire, shitty pavement, slick spots, squid operator, teasing on that last one. Seroiusly though my first bike was a 94 katana and it didn't really like being laid down to far. Work on turns slowly, leaning it farther down as you get comfortable. After my last hard crash I had trouble in tight turns for about 2 months. Just cause I was still shaken up from rolling down the freeway at 80 mph. I really doubt somethings wrong with your bike. My first guess is that your tire didn't stick right. If it wasn't atleast slighty warm then the compound prolly wasn't soft enough. Street tires heat up rather quickly but stick like a piece of petrified crap if there too cold. Be sure to give your tires some warm up time before really laying them down. Just work on turns gradualy and it'll come around.

P.S. If your tires are new take it easy till they get "scuffed" or broken in. New tires tend to be slick.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 11:21 AM
Lifetime Premium

First thing that comes to mind for me is what tire pressure are you running? It sounds like it might be too high. I've washed out on my previous bikes (well actually my first bike a lowly EX 250) for that exact reason. I always run 32/32psi front and rear.

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or s3sportbikes.com

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 11:26 AM

Nice thought Chris. That slipped my mind for some reason. I have been dishonored by a yamaha rider. Just kidding.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 11:28 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally posted by Tigger RR
Nice thought Chris. That slipped my mind for some reason. I have been dishonored by a yamaha rider. Just kidding.
Being the How Do I forum moderator, I can't tell you how many times that some had a problem and I jumped right to the most complex possible problems and someone newbie comes up behind my post and says "Yo, it's the kickstand switch".

It's all good.

Fairing repair / Plastic Welding / Gas Tank Repair / Fabrication and Customization
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or s3sportbikes.com
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 11:33 AM

Could be low tire pressure. Had the front wash out on my 9R last week in a downhill DR turn. Caught it but is scared the crap out of me. This was a corner I take every day at the same speed. The pressure was 29.5 psi. Should be 34. I suppose excess pressure would do them same but I have never over-filled a tire so I can't say from experience.

Old tires can cause this problem too, even if the pressure is good and there is plenty of tread. If the tires show any signs of cracking, even just a little, replace them.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 11:34 AM

LMAO, Na its perfectly good. I've been a bike tech for several years now, but I'm not perfect. I actualy enjoy learning from other riders and their ideas. That and the challenge of knowing somebody else will add to your posts is a good thing. Keeps my mind working ya know.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 11:36 AM

One other thought: You are on the gas, right? Trail braking is something you should avoid on the street.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 11:36 AM

Thumbs up

First of all............When I was heavy into Kat 6's and GSXR750's I never encountered the washout problem. Here are some fixes.

First.........A good grade of tire is plenty helpful. Second.......Pressure front @ 30 w/ rear @ 30 to start. Third.......I always ran the Kat's front forks on the #3 setting (full hard).

All are relative to the coefficient of friction, traction and the contact patch the tire lays down onto the asphault. DO NOT LET ANYONE TELL YOU THAT THE KAT IS WORTHLESS! This ride can take the rubber all the way over to the ribbon..........

Enjoy the KAT.............I DID!

Johnny
Team No Limit Racing &#169 1996-2002
http://www.teamnolimitracing.com
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 11:41 AM

madkate: a question or two.

Like is this a new or 'used' bike, then to have the tyres on this bike been with chicken stripes for some time, lasty what make & type of tyres?
Chris has a good point about tyre pressure.
REMEMBER when you are trying to stay on the "edge of no return" you are probably riding at 110% of your ability & that is only done when in comp.
On the road it should be around 60% of you ability for last 40% is left for safe riding & in case you are forced into trying to avoid an accident caused by someone or something else.
Lastly two prangs does sort of take the whiz out of one for a while.
For your interest some NEVER push the bike to where they are at that "edge of no return" or dragging their footrests let alone the extreme of the knee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode